Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
Jan 26, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #1,456 of 2,725
A lot of companies give you exact reading of the measurements they have made on the tubes they are selling, I have not seen them using a,b, or c etc.... I guess since Sophia is selling there new production tubes they are testing them and then grading them depending on the measurements and how closely matched they are. Maybe A is 10%, B 20%, or something like that. Kind of like how intel bins cpu, the best become extreme processors, the best will overclock higher and have more stability, same goes for GPUs.

I saw some companies use, silver level, gold level, and platinum level. It is just to keep it simple for people who might not be into the technical numbers.

I think I will buy some of the Sophia Electric and try them. Look like a great tube,

Jan 30, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #1,457 of 2,725
Could recommend Little dot mk8 for Sony R10? And how would you describe the difference from mk3 to mk8?

Background:
Ive been using the mk3 now for a number of years and I continue to be impressed.

Call me crazy but I even prefer the Mkiii to my 2k red wine audio amp. I've been rolling almost every tube out there and finally found the perfect match with the 6H30p-DR and tung sol driver Tubes,  to drive Sony R10 headphones. I honestly can't imagine how it could sound any better -  still I wander if that is possible. I must emphasize that my R10 are the bass light version,  so they really only work with this particular tube combination and no other I found.

So To the main thing that's holding me back from upgrading to mk8 is that the driver Tubes are different from the mk3 -  if I understand correctly only 12ax7 fit in the VIII SE. Is this correct? I'm asking because I have lots of experience with these Tubes (including the higher rated rca, tung sol, long and short plate mullard, tesla.. ) in other amps and finally found that the 6922 family overall works better for me overall to fill out the light bass of the Sony. (or in the case of the mk3 it's really those tung sol 1960 NOS driver Tubes that help a lot to fill out the bass)

So my question would be: Has anyone gone from mk3 to mk8 and could share his/her experience?

Thanks!

Jan 30, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #1,458 of 2,725
As I said a couple of posts ago nobody in this thread, despite its title, has had a mkviii as far as I know  so I can't help but in any case the the mkviii has 12AT7 tubes which aren't compatible to my knowledge with 12AX7's. I use the 12AX7's on my speaker amp and I agree with you the Tungsols, (5751) in my case, are superb and quite similar sounding to the 6SL7's I use with my mkvi.

Jan 31, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #1,459 of 2,725
Too bad, thanks for your reply anyway

Feb 1, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #1,460 of 2,725
If this was already covered...I am sorry for asking this question again.

Can you use the 4 pin XLR in the front, 3 pin XLR in the back, and the SE 1/4" jack in the front all at the same time?

I have HD650 connected with 4 pin XLR and Yamaha studio monitors are connected via 3 pin XLR.  I am not too happy with my bottom end sound so I'm planning to connect an active sub-woofer via SE 1/4" output to stereo RCA of sub-woofer.

Has anyone used three headphones all at the same time with MK VI?  Do you think this could damage the amp in anyway?

Feb 1, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #1,462 of 2,725
  Don't know about the SE + Balanced outputs, but I would guess that the load from active components like the yamaha speakers would be rather insignificant to the amp.  

Yes, I am not too worried about the load of 3 pin xlr going to the Yamaha speakers...but I do worry about connecting SE + 4 pin Balanced out at the same time.  It looks like the SE is connected to Balanced pin 1 = L+   3 = R+ and has it's own ground..  This is the reason why I am not sure if I can connect both at the same time.  Does anyone have tried or know for sure if this is ok or not?

Feb 2, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #1,464 of 2,725
I was wondering if anybody could tell me what the main difference is between the LD MkIII and the MkIV (not the SE). Does the 4 just have more power or is it a better sounding amp as well.

Feb 2, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #1,465 of 2,725
  I was wondering if anybody could tell me what the main difference is between the LD MkIII and the MkIV (not the SE). Does the 4 just have more power or is it a better sounding amp as well.

Only by reading the product page on littledot.net it seems like the mk4 is their Single ended flagship. Probably will sound better and got more power for maybe more power hungry phones. Only heard the mk3 tho so not sure about the real difference tho.

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #1,466 of 2,725
PSVANE CV181-TII  Collection Grade A or Premium Grade A.

I went from stock 6H9C to Psvane CV181-TII.  I am just shocked!!  I put in about 50+ hrs and I can't believe how crazy good this thing sounds and it keeps getting better.  I am not sure how to describe it...it gave me more physical feeling.  I can feel the bass in my brain.  The volume is at the same level but I can feel the punch and bass vibrating my head.  High and mid are just liquid like...it feels like my headphone is pouring sweet chocolate milk into my ears.  How the heck did they do this?!!  
This pair is worth every penny.  I have not listen to the Classic Grade or regular Premium Grade but I am sure they should be good.  I just went for the top of the line and I got what I wanted and more!!  Some reviews said it takes 300hrs burn in to get to the best performance.  I am already getting eargasm and if this thing gets better than how it sounds now...I'm going to have eargasm plus orgasm.

Feb 5, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #1,469 of 2,725
  You making me to think that the Psvane CV181-TII is a bass tube!

I am not good at describing things.  No, it doesn't make the sound bassy like you would increase the low frequency on the EQ (200hz - 20hz).  Bass is there but it makes my headphone come alive.  I can feel the sound instead of hear it.  I was doing some A/B test with the stock tube and CV181-TII.  Amount of bass is same or level is same but I can feel my headphone hitting ear flap => outer ear => and ear canal.  Almost as if the sound is a solid object.  The sound is more physical than just air wave. I don't mean it by louder in dB level at all.  It's really hard to describe it.  I can feel the sound instead of just hear it.

instead dat sound like a lot of coloration tubes.

I am not sure what you mean by coloration.  But as far as I've been listening to it...I have not noticed any enhancement on particular frequency level.  This tube made all frequency level come alive as solid object that I can feel them in my head.  I have been hearing sound and music but I didn't know I can feel the sound.  

Little Dot mk VI+ is truly an awesome headphone amp paired with HD650.  And with the CV181-TII...WOW...I am not sure if it can get any better than this.  Has anyone else tried this tube with LDMKVI?

Feb 5, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #1,470 of 2,725
  I am not good at describing things.  No, it doesn't make the sound bassy like you would increase the low frequency on the EQ (200hz - 20hz).  Bass is there but it makes my headphone come alive.  I can feel the sound instead of hear it.  I was doing some A/B test with the stock tube and CV181-TII.  Amount of bass is same or level is same but I can feel my headphone hitting ear flap => outer ear => and ear canal.  Almost as if the sound is a solid object.  The sound is more physical than just air wave. I don't mean it by louder in dB level at all.  It's really hard to describe it.  I can feel the sound instead of just hear it.

I am not sure what you mean by coloration.  But as far as I've been listening to it...I have not noticed any enhancement on particular frequency level.  This tube made all frequency level come alive as solid object that I can feel them in my head.  I have been hearing sound and music but I didn't know I can feel the sound.  

Little Dot mk VI+ is truly an awesome headphone amp paired with HD650.  And with the CV181-TII...WOW...I am not sure if it can get any better than this.  Has anyone else tried this tube with LDMKVI?

I mean that is Coloured sound tubes like the hd650, not flat response, it mean that doesn't deliver the "original" or "authenthic" sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back