Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
Feb 6, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #1,471 of 2,726
Well, I would say HD650 does add color compared to HD600.  And also my ATH-M50 is really colored in terms of frequency response.  Maybe your interpretation of colored and my interpretation of colored might be different.  So I am not sure if this tube is colored or not colored in your term of color.  As far as I know it is very even on the frequency response where it doesn't add any color and the music sounds pretty original and authentic in frequency response level across the board.

What I noticed is the tube adds more energy to the sound where you can feel the sound.  I can feel the guitar plucking and picking sound in my ear canal it almost tickles my ear.  As if the guitar string is right next to my ear.  Decibel level has not been changed or raised.  I can't get this feeling with the stock tube even when I raised the volume really high.  I have not heard any other 6sn7 driver tubes so I can't say anything about the other tubes. But the difference is like night and day when I compare this to the stock 6H9C.  With 6H9C, it's like watching a black and white TV with 320 line resolution.  With CV181-TII, it's like watching a 4K TV.  It definitely adds high definition, vivid color, and realism to the dull black and white boring sound.  It totally gives richness, dynamic energy, and life to the music.  I am now listening to the music in a whole new level thanks to this awesome tube.

Feb 6, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #1,473 of 2,726
Sounds like audio nirvana is at hand what with the allusions to chocolate and all! I've heard that the psvanes are great but so far not tried them, I've got a thing about new issue tubes but would be interested sometime maybe, others have described the sound as dynamic and detailed, similar to what you have said. To get bass that you can feel over headphones is pretty rare.

Yikes - just seen the price!!

Feb 6, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #1,474 of 2,726
  I am not good at describing things.  No, it doesn't make the sound bassy like you would increase the low frequency on the EQ (200hz - 20hz).  Bass is there but it makes my headphone come alive.  I can feel the sound instead of hear it.  I was doing some A/B test with the stock tube and CV181-TII.  Amount of bass is same or level is same but I can feel my headphone hitting ear flap => outer ear => and ear canal.  Almost as if the sound is a solid object.  The sound is more physical than just air wave. I don't mean it by louder in dB level at all.  It's really hard to describe it.  I can feel the sound instead of just hear it.

I am not sure what you mean by coloration.  But as far as I've been listening to it...I have not noticed any enhancement on particular frequency level.  This tube made all frequency level come alive as solid object that I can feel them in my head.  I have been hearing sound and music but I didn't know I can feel the sound.  

Little Dot mk VI+ is truly an awesome headphone amp paired with HD650.  And with the CV181-TII...WOW...I am not sure if it can get any better than this.  Has anyone else tried this tube with LDMKVI?

Sincerely i didn't tried the CV181-TII, but i tried cv181z treasure with a adaptor, and GE 6sn7, but the Sophia Electric 6SN7G beat all of them, in term of transparency, detail and timbre.

PD: I don't understand the guys that buy Schiit, Woo Audio, etc tubes amp, when many users say that LD MK VI SE+ beat in any term to those AMPs, Except by the WA5 of Woo audio.

Feb 6, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #1,475 of 2,726
  Sincerely i didn't tried the CV181-TII, but i tried cv181z treasure with a adaptor, and GE 6sn7, but the Sophia Electric 6SN7G beat all of them, in term of transparency, detail and timbre.

PD: I don't understand the guys that buy Schiit, Woo Audio, etc tubes amp, when many users say that LD MK VI SE+ beat in any term to those AMPs, Except by the WA5 of Woo audio.

You are right the only tube amp that I have personally heard that can beat my LD VI is the Woo WA5.

Feb 6, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #1,476 of 2,726
  You are right the only tube amp that I have personally heard that can beat my LD VI is the Woo WA5.

well 300b and 5U4g are powerfull tubes my friend also has dedicate power supply and use 4 transformer, but I heard that the DNA stratus are quite close of apex pinnacle SQ, so I think that will be my next amp after complete my headphone collection.

Feb 7, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #1,477 of 2,726

Yes but it's 4 times the price and has no balanced outputs, the LD has to be the steal of the century. I'm keeping mine. How much better is the WA5? I'm just listening to Tears For Fears, a track called "listen" and the soundstage is smooth, wide, open and sounds fantastic. Not that I want to inflict my musical tastes on you but just to make a point.

Feb 7, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #1,478 of 2,726
Actually I listen to the Woo 5LE a few times over the years but never brought them. The 300B tube amp just has different sonic characteristic from my LD VI which may or not appeal to you. Currently I am using my Oppo HA-1 balanced outs to my LD balanced inputs and the LD balanced outputs are driving my airmotiv 6's in addition to headphones.  The only thing that matters is that you are happy with your setup.

Feb 7, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #1,479 of 2,726

Yes but it's 4 times the price and has no balanced outputs, the LD has to be the steal of the century. I'm keeping mine. How much better is the WA5? I'm just listening to Tears For Fears, a track called "listen" and the soundstage is smooth, wide, open and sounds fantastic. Not that I want to inflict my musical tastes on you but just to make a point.

what? the WA5 has it, even have K1K gain, Speaker, high and low impedance switch, i think you saw the LE version that hasn't

Feb 7, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #1,480 of 2,726
  what? the WA5 has it, even have K1K gain, Speaker, high and low impedance switch, i think you saw the LE version that hasn't

Sorry I meant balanced inputs.  One thing that would make me think is finding a good amp that does both speakers and headphones for a reasonable price as you say.
  Actually I listen to the Woo 5LE a few times over the years but never brought them. The 300B tube amp just has different sonic characteristic from my LD VI which may or not appeal to you. Currently I am using my Oppo HA-1 balanced outs to my LD balanced inputs and the LD balanced outputs are driving my airmotiv 6's in addition to headphones.  The only thing that matters is that you are happy with your setup.

This is pretty much my final system, unless I come into a pile of money, but of course one always keeps one's ear to the ground!! Such is our hobby.

Feb 7, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #1,481 of 2,726
Hello All,
It looks Little Dot MK VI+ has a motorised Alps volume control. Does it really have remote control? What is the motor in this pot for?

Thank you

Feb 7, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #1,483 of 2,726
  Sorry I meant balanced inputs.  One thing that would make me think is finding a good amp that does both speakers and headphones for a reasonable price as you say.
This is pretty much my final system, unless I come into a pile of money, but of course one always keeps one's ear to the ground!! Such is our hobby.

Why do you need a balanced inputs if the amp is already quiet? also i think that can't build an amp of 300B with balanced outputs cuz i never saw one, manley Labs, WA5, Sophia Electric amps, etc etc etc ... these amps don't have balanced input.

Feb 7, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #1,484 of 2,726
Rolled some new tubes I just bought today :)

Tung Sol 6SN7 GTB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back