List/Rank Headphones That Have Forward Midrange
Dec 28, 2009 at 4:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

sling5s

Headphoneus Supremus
It took me awhile to figure out I prefer headphones with prominent or forward MIDRANGE: especially ones with upper midrange/lower treble spike/peak.
I guess that would make me a "midrangehead".

So if you would: List and Rank headphones that have very forward midranges (especially ones with upper midrange/lower treble spikes). I would love to know and may consider purchasing ones I don't know about. Thanks

Here's my list and rank that I know of from experience:
1. Grado's (in general) accented or tamed by pad or chamber material (plastic, wood, aluminum).
2. HD800 (only model in the Senn.)
3. AKG 701 (not sure about all the other AKGs)

Dec 28, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #2 of 37
Audiotechnica...

Also, I find the ER4 to have a "forward" mid range, although I guess this is just a result of a lot of things having boomy bass in comparison

edit: also, arent the headphones you listed generally talked about for their forward treble more than midrange?

Dec 28, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #3 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audiotechnica...

Also, I find the ER4 to have a "forward" mid range, although I guess this is just a result of everything else having boomy bass.

edit: also, arent the headphones you listed generally talked about for their forward treble more than midrange?

Yes, I like the lower treble spike and what it does for the midrange. It accentuates the midrange and brings it forward in a nice way when done right.
For example, Senns tend to have nice midranges but it does not have the lower treble spike that I like except for the HD800.

Dec 28, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #4 of 37
The ER4 and the Sony SA5K both have very forward midranges, in addition to the K701 and HD800 you already identified.

One quick edit: of those four, I'd say the most forward are the ER4 and the K701

Dec 28, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #6 of 37
The only headphones with very forward mids I know of are the Audio Technica ATH-M40fs.
So much forward that I find them unnatural sounding (I initially loved them, but changed my mind over time)
They're not that upfront in the high mids and low treble though...

Dec 28, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #9 of 37
I heard the midrange of the ATH-AD2000 is similar to AKG K271.
Anyone comment? Is the AKG K271 a cheaper way to go for the midrange of the ATH-AD2000?

Dec 28, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #10 of 37
For forward upper mids Grado SR325 is the KING. Even within the Grado-line.

Dec 28, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by sling5s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard the midrange of the ATH-AD2000 is similar to AKG K271.
Anyone comment? Is the AKG K271 a cheaper way to go for the midrange of the ATH-AD2000?

For a closed can the k271's will do you well....

Dec 28, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #12 of 37
I'd say some of the AT open backs, and some of the AT woodies. I couldn't say that the K271 had a very forward midrange; just more forward than my closed AT.

The Shure SE530 is supposed to have a very forward midrange. It's an IEM though.

Dec 28, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #14 of 37
I dont find the SA5000 or HD800 to have forward mids, but rather quite balanced actually in keeping with the rest of the spectrum. The AD2000 definitely brings the mids to the foreground and makes vocal and instrumental music quite intimately close.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ER4 and the Sony SA5K both have very forward midranges, in addition to the K701 and HD800 you already identified.

One quick edit: of those four, I'd say the most forward are the ER4 and the K701

Dec 28, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by sling5s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It took me awhile to figure out I prefer headphones with prominent or forward MIDRANGE: especially ones with upper midrange/lower treble spike/peak.

1. Grados
2. HD800 (only model in the Senn.)
3. AKG 701 (not sure about all the other AKGs)

I think you might just like phones with lots of treble because I wouldn't list any of these as phones with forward midrange. I guess the grados do, but they also have very forward treble.

Pretty much every popular head-fi phone has lots of treble. Be it Audio Technicas, K701, Denons, Ultrasones, Grados, Beyers. You can't really go wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back