List of DACs that work with iPad
Oct 31, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #586 of 963
Has anybody had any luck with getting digital audio out of the iPad with an HDMI to Spdif adapter?
If used with the Apple Digital A/V Adapter (instead of the CCK), the iPad could theoretically be charged while outputting digital audio:

There's a thread about these converters, it never really went anywhere (HDCP issues?):
http://www.head-fi.org/t/520782/something-new-hdmi-to-spdif-converter
It seems that there are cheap Chinese "take your chances" units for ~$50, and "reputable" units for ~$200 (sample pictured above). And no guarantee that they will work with an iPad in this fashion.
In the above-mentioned thread it says that when the HDMI is outputted from some tablets the tablet screen goes blank, but this does not seem to be the case with the iPad.
The Apple Store reviews seem somewhat inconclusive, but their Digital A/V Adapter seems designed to mirror.
:confused_face(1):

Ok, I have a Kudo solar charging case with back up battery for my ipad. It has hdmi out! Bingo!,,,, it lasts for weeks, and also has USB charging for iPhone.

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #587 of 963
Ok, I have a Kudo solar charging case with back up battery for my ipad. It has hdmi out! Bingo!,,,, it lasts for weeks, and also has USB charging for iPhone.

Okay but hdmi to what, how will you extract the digital audio?

Oct 31, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #588 of 963
These devices are also know as HDMI de-embedders. If you look closely, you will there's a SPDIF optical out. I have such a device at home being used as a switch. I'm going to try it tonight with my iPad and much older iPhone & iPod Touch and see how it behaves.

Nov 4, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #589 of 963
I have just downloaded FLAC Player onto my iPad2, and would like to output HD to an external DAC via CCK. The DAC in question, however, only has a SPDIF input. Can you recommend a HD-capable USB to SPDIF converter which does not require a proprietary driver (this, I suppose, rules out the Audio-gd Digital Interface). Transportability would also be nice, but is not essential. Could I use a Hiface 2 with a powered USB hub, or does this need a driver?

Nov 4, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #590 of 963
I have just downloaded FLAC Player onto my iPad2, and would like to output HD to an external DAC via CCK. The DAC in question, however, only has a SPDIF input. Can you recommend a HD-capable USB to SPDIF converter which does not require a proprietary driver (this, I suppose, rules out the Audio-gd Digital Interface). Transportability would also be nice, but is not essential. Could I use a Hiface 2 with a powered USB hub, or does this need a driver?

http://youtu.be/Mhj8S7bhquk

Nov 4, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #591 of 963
These devices are also know as HDMI de-embedders. If you look closely, you will there's a SPDIF optical out. I have such a device at home being used as a switch. I'm going to try it tonight with my iPad and much older iPhone & iPod Touch and see how it behaves.

Did it work?

The cool thing is that I can use the Kudo case and charge it at the same time (using its charger) If I want to- it also keeps the iPad 100% charged...ie... its battery is used first. So if I want to leave the case in the car charging I can take the iPad with me without a case and know it is always 100% charged. So the Kudo case using the HDMI kinda splits the 30 pin digital out and power charging into two different things.

So I'm just hoping.......

Nov 9, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #594 of 963
Hey Guys, After reading through most of this thread, I've realised that a lot has been updated since the OP.

A few questions which I think may have been answered (e.g T3 Hub etc.) but I think some people would like an answer.

1. Has anyone tried any DACs on the new Lightning connection with the iPad 4th gen / iPad mini?

1a. if so, was it with the Lightning -> 30 pin adapter -> CCK or Lightning -> CCK?

2. Would something like the Duracell Mypocket Charger USB work to alleviate the power problem? (it basically adds batteries to the cord between the iPad and DAC)

And on a personal question:
Has anyone tried the Audioengine D1 or the NuForce uDAC-2 ? Does either require power?

Cheers.

Nov 10, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #595 of 963
Quote:
Hey Guys, After reading through most of this thread, I've realised that a lot has been updated since the OP.

A few questions which I think may have been answered (e.g T3 Hub etc.) but I think some people would like an answer.

1. Has anyone tried any DACs on the new Lightning connection with the iPad 4th gen / iPad mini?

1a. if so, was it with the Lightning -> 30 pin adapter -> CCK or Lightning -> CCK?

2. Would something like the Duracell Mypocket Charger USB work to alleviate the power problem? (it basically adds batteries to the cord between the iPad and DAC)

And on a personal question:
Has anyone tried the Audioengine D1 or the NuForce uDAC-2 ? Does either require power?

Cheers.

Can't answer all the questions, but there is another thread about the new lightning > CCK compatible DACs.  I have read somewhere else that the lightning USB > 30-pin adapter > CCK > DAC also works.

I have tried the Audioengine D1 and it does require a powered USB hub.  Had never heard the the Duracell Mypocket Charger before,

Nov 10, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #596 of 963
Thanks for the reply, hopefully I'll get the D1 just for my desktop, then take it to the Apple store and ask if I can see if it works. It's the deciding factor if I get the iPad mini...

And the Duracell charger things has an input and output port, so it allows the data signal to pass through it. Sounds promising for portable iPad hifi systems.

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #597 of 963
Does a device like this even exist:

A DAC that can connect to the 30 pin dock, and that also has an s/pdif out.

I'm looking for a way to get digital sound out from my iPad 3 into my Focusrite Saffire 24 audio interface digital input for music production.

Playing lossless music isn't a concern since I use an old iPod for that.

I'd rather not have to use the CCK and a powered hub.

Nov 10, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #598 of 963
The new Solo will do that: http://www.aloaudio.com/cypher-labs-algorhythm-solo-db

Quote:
I'm looking for a way to get digital sound out from my iPad 3 into my Focusrite Saffire 24 audio interface digital input for music production.

Nov 10, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #599 of 963
In addition, VentureCraft DD Socket 1. Doesn't just output coax but optical too.

The new Solo will do that: http://www.aloaudio.com/cypher-labs-algorhythm-solo-db

Quote:

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #600 of 963
Quote:

The Cypher Labs Algorythm Solo and Fostex HP-P1 are portable DACs with an S/PDIF out, and you just connect any 30-pin or Lightning iPod cable to them.  The Nuforce Icon iDo is a desktop digital dock with coax S/PDIF out, and again you just connect any 30-pin or lightning USB cable into it.  No CCK needed.  The upcoming CEntrance HiFi-M8 will have optical digital output, and again you can use any 30-pin or lightning cable to connect to your iDevice.

The Cypher Labs is only a DAC.  The HP-P1 also has an amp and DAC built-in, as does the iDo and M8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back