List of DACs that work with iPad
Mar 13, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #212 of 963
Not sure this this was mentioned in this thread but.

AlgoRhythm Solo also works with the iPad, as well all new iPods, Nano, iTouch, and iPhone with out the use of a synchronous camera connection kit, all you need is any ipod to USB cable. The Solo is battery powered and uses a reference level Wolfson DAC that supports Asynchronous mode, also outputs to SPDIF for those so needed to use a different home DAC
wink_face.gif
The Solo is less harsh than the iStreamer due to a number of reasons the main one is the use of Li-Ion batteries.

Ken @ ALO audio

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Mar 13, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #213 of 963
I just tried the iPad 2 with Meier-Audio StageDAC's USB input and the Musical Fidelity V-Link. 

The bad news.  When connected it says "The connected USB device requires too much power."  

The good news.  I got it to work when connected via a powered USB hub (MacAlly 7 port hub).  I was able to stream music with Home Sharing from my desktop computer.  With the StageDAC, the volume control is still there but adjusting it does not affect volume.  With the V-Link, the volume control is replaced with the text "Musical Fidelity V-Link."

There's a problem though.  When I disconnected the V-Link and tried to connect it again, the iPad 2 wouldn't recognize it.  I have to reset in order to get it to recognize the V-Link again.  After disconnecting the V-Link, the iPod software would freeze and the text "Musical Fidelity V-Link" on the volume control would still be there.  After about a a minute the regular volume control comes back and the sound is output through the internal speakers again.  I couldn't get the V-Link to connect again until I reset the iPad 2.

I wonder if iPad 2 -->  V-Link --> StageDAC would be better than desktop computer --> V-Link --> StageDAC?

Mar 13, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #214 of 963

Quote:
The Solo is less harsh than the iStreamer due to a number of reasons the main one is the use of Li-Ion batteries.

Another obvious advantage of the Algorhythm Solo's internal batteries is the ability to be used portably, un-tethered to an external power source (along with the iPad itself).

Mar 13, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #215 of 963

Quote:
The HRT iStreamer works excellently, and NO camera connector needed!  Gets the digital signal directly (from iPad or iPod).  While the iStreamer needs power from the wall (via supplied wall wart), it has the advantage of charging the iPad while serving as the DAC.  And sounds great!

Hey Now,

I concur with Rob on this, at least for me. I use the iPad at work as a music server through the iStreamer > Amphora, it sounds excellent. I can stream Pandora and other internet radio sites as well, not just my music. The good part is that it is charging while at work . . . when I get home I have a full battery to fart with the iPad during the evening hours, especially now during basketball tourney time 8^). 

I used to use the CCK > uDac > iQube, but the update screwed me. I changed over to using the CCK > HA NG Coax converter > Zhaolu > iQube or Amphora. Worked like a champ but ran the battery down pretty good each workday. I got the iStreamer and it sounded so much better than the CCK set-up. Would have loved getting the Solo, but it was a couple of ticks up the money ladder for me. For what I use the iStreamer for, it is perfect.

--
Finest kind,
Chris

Mar 13, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #216 of 963
I forgot that the iStreamer charged the iPad when it is attached. So I agree that for non-portable use it's a good audio solution. Not as good as my old 12" G4 Powerbook though.

Apr 3, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #219 of 963
??
Has anyone had any success with a TTVJ slim amp/dac with the ipad.  The intial list notes compatability but ive had no success.

I have the TTVJ slim amp (with DAC). It worked perfectly with the original iPad (via the camera connection kit) until one of the iOS updates (I think 4.2, but I can't quite remember). Apparently, with that update they reduced the amount of power a device was allowed to draw through the USB connection. Now the iPad simply says "Attached device uses too much power" (or something along those lines) whenever I attach the TTVJ Slim. The same is true when I attach the Slim to my new iPad 2. Supposedly using a powered USB hub fixes this problem, but I'm probably going to go the AlgoRythm Solo route instead.

Apr 6, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #221 of 963
I've updated the first post to indicate my intent not to update the table any longer.  I think most DACs do work with the iPad at this point, at least if you allow the provision of external power in the definition of "work" (which I do).

Carry on!

-john

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #222 of 963

Quote:
I forgot that the iStreamer charged the iPad when it is attached. So I agree that for non-portable use it's a good audio solution. Not as good as my old 12" G4 Powerbook though.

Have you read the reviews on the latest 17" Macbook Pro yet ? I normally just skip over this stuff, thinking 'Apple will be using last years technology, as always' - not this time. To quote the current edition of Australia PC User:

the Macbook Pro 17 is now the fastest notebook we've tested.

The used Userbench Encode, and I'm sure plenty of PC fiends would question that statement, but there you have it. Unfortunately, I doubt that it means that audio is improved, but your 1080P movies would pack a punch through an external DAC/amp combo :)

Apr 7, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #223 of 963

The following combos work flawlessly, and sounds great.  NO powered hub needed, although this rig is still not portable.

(1)  The iPad 2 with iOS 4.3.0 > Camera Connection Kit > CEntrance DACmini USB

and 

(2)  The iPad 1 with iOS 4.2.1 (jailbreak) > Camera Connection Kit > CEntrance DACmini USB

-----------------

Note - The jailbroken iPad 1 doesn't have any special audio software installed, just My3G, MyWi and Backgrounder.

Apr 7, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #224 of 963
Larry, you bought BOTH ? FWIR, the iPad2 isnt a major improvement on the first edition - Apple's marketing aside. I was tempted till I saw the Australian price - we are getting so royally reamed down here with our dollar at 1.04USD and Apple still marking everything up by at least a hundred dollars on the US price.

Apr 7, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #225 of 963
I test 2 device both work with iPad 1 with 4.3.1 os, both required a powered usb hub

1. Sound Blaster USB (Model no. SB0207)  -- The volume control is not working on the iPad (the volume bar display "USB Audio")
2 .Nuforce icon uDac2 (with coxail output) -- The volume control is working

Users who are viewing this thread

Back