List of DACs that work with iPad
Jan 24, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #196 of 963
The HRT iStreamer works excellently, and NO camera connector needed!  Gets the digital signal directly (from iPad or iPod).  While the iStreamer needs power from the wall (via supplied wall wart), it has the advantage of charging the iPad while serving as the DAC.  And sounds great!

Jan 24, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #197 of 963

Quote:
While the iStreamer needs power from the wall (via supplied wall wart), it has the advantage of charging the iPad while serving as the DAC.  And sounds great!

Hi Rob,

When I started a thread on the iStreamer a few weeks back, this was the Achilles Heel for a small but very vocal minority on this board. None of the advantages were obvious to these folk, and I'm saddened that some are so zealous about 'portability' that they cant comprehend that some value 'transportable' over strictly portable rigs. Compare the asking price of the iStreamer to the Algorythm Solo (or the Wadia/Onkyo/TEAC solutions) and it makes sense for a bedside/hotel rig, but the fact that it isnt a 'dock' in the conventional sense also upset some here. Some of us simply dont get it - c'est la vie, I guess.

estreeter

Jan 24, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #198 of 963
I was one of the ones who was critical, but didn't go as far as you make it seems. I didn't read any other comment that went that far either. My point was that it was not for me. It may be for some. There are other alternatives to get the digital signal out that are even cheaper than the istreamer. The istreamer may be great for someone looking for a desktop or transportable option. For me I would like something portable and with the flux of new products coming out that can access a digital signal out of apple products, it may be right around the corner. The problem I have is when people rip others for not liking a product they might like. There's a lot of that going on around here. If you love it that's great, but if I don't, don't rip me for it. There are still some who like stock earbuds, and for them I'm happy. But I'm not going to rip them for it. Nor will I rip someone who doesn't like some of the stuff I like. Your statement is an exaggeration of what was really said. There's another thread about the istreamer where someone who's a fanboy of it made personal attacks on the ones who don't, and I don't see you posting anything about that.

Jan 24, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #199 of 963
Thing is, I have to travel with a USB charger anyway, for iPad, iPod, blackberry, etc etc. So it is along for the ride anyway. This means that for the hotel or remote office, the iPad + iStreamer + amp is killer. For the airplane I just use the line out, or sometimes just my tiny little current gen 16Gb Nano.

And the iStreamer sounds good enough that for the office rig, iPad + iStreamer makes for a very good source. Used it today with my Leben and HE-6 - sounded awesome.

Jan 24, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #200 of 963

Quote:
There's another thread about the istreamer where someone who's a fanboy of it made personal attacks on the ones who don't, and I don't see you posting anything about that.

I'll get to it - Rome wasn't built in a day.

My initial point was that several of the people in the earlier thread immediately zeroed in on the need for an external power source for the iStreamer as a complete deal breaker. I suspect that these are the same people who discount Phil Larocco's transportable amps simply because they dont mate neatly (!) with an iPod - to me, its throwing the baby out with the bathwater. 

btw, exaggeration is a lesser crime over at Team Totally Clueless - wait until we start reviewing kit we havent even heard.

Jan 24, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #201 of 963
And for thoese people, that's find. Just like it's fine for the people who love the istreamer. People who don't like it or don't care for it shouldn't be flamed for it. For those that love it, that's great. That's what this hobby is all about. There are different products for different people. The istreamer is not for everyone. So you should get over it. For those who love it, enjoy and happy listening!!

Mar 3, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #202 of 963
I'm looking for something like the iStreamer, but without the DAC so I could run iPad> ??? >DB1 (ibasso boomslang balanced DAC>Balanced Amp.  Would someone be kind enough to mention an option or two?  Thanks.

Mar 4, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #203 of 963

Quote:
I'm looking for something like the iStreamer, but without the DAC so I could run iPad> ??? >DB1 (ibasso boomslang balanced DAC>Balanced Amp.  Would someone be kind enough to mention an option or two?  Thanks.

A uDAC or uDAC-2 will give you coax S/PDIF out to feed into your DB1 - someone mentioned with the OS update the uDAC-2 24/96 now works if you use the Dr Bott's T3 hub.

Mar 4, 2011 at 3:54 AM Post #204 of 963

Quote:

Quote:
A uDAC or uDAC-2 will give you coax S/PDIF out to feed into your DB1 - someone mentioned with the OS update the uDAC-2 24/96 now works if you use the Dr Bott's T3 hub.

As the Boomslang has its own power source and a USB input, I believe it would also work straight out of the Camera Connection Kit's USB port without a uDac 
smile.gif

Mar 4, 2011 at 8:02 AM Post #205 of 963
uDAC or uDAC-2 are for coming out of a a computer via usb, no?  No need, as the DB1(2) do the same thing.  Will a uDAC(-2) come straight out of an iPad?  If so, I'd still be running back to back DAC and amplification (albeit slight), correct?

Mar 5, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #206 of 963
I wasn't paying enough attention to be allowed to post, sorry.  I assumed that since he was looking for something to feed the DB1 that it didn't work directly with camera connection kit.

Mar 11, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #209 of 963
snip>

Quote:
Thing is, I have to travel with a USB charger anyway, for iPad, iPod, blackberry, etc etc. So it is along for the ride anyway. This means that for the hotel or remote office, the iPad + iStreamer + amp is killer. For the airplane I just use the line out, or sometimes just my tiny little current gen 16Gb Nano.

And the iStreamer sounds good enough that for the office rig, iPad + iStreamer makes for a very good source. Used it today with my Leben and HE-6 - sounded awesome.

I wanted to weigh in on this. 

What Skylab said and how he uses the iStreamer is what makes it a great idea.  It's like a powered dock with a built in DAC.

For use while running on battery, the line out is fine, because it doesn't shorten your runtime by powering another device with the iPad battery, and, when you want an extended listen at the highest possible quality, you plug in the iStreamer and listen and charge at the same time.... it seems to be a very compact (although jittery) solution.

Quote:
<snip>..... the need for an external power source for the iStreamer as a complete deal breaker.... <snip>

It's advantage is that it uses external power rather than draining the iPad's battery.... that makes it a deal maker.

My alternative is to plug my Pico dac into a powered hub and use it that way..... not a bad solution, but, I'm still not charging the iPad at the same time.

My office rig uses a 1st generation Sansa Fuze instead of a CD player, but I don't run it on the battery.  It's docked.

Mar 11, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #210 of 963

Quote:
For use while running on battery, the line out is fine, because it doesn't shorten your runtime by powering another device with the iPad battery, and, when you want an extended listen at the highest possible quality, you plug in the iStreamer and listen and charge at the same time.... it seems to be a very compact (although jittery) solution.

It seems the weak link there is that it's not possible to plug the iPad in to power as well a a dock device for extended listening... or is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back