Lightning Cables - Official and Custom (welcomed).
Jul 4, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #62 of 214
Not more power. There's a software restriction in newer iOS that basically limits how much juice (mA's) an external device can pull from the idevice. So an external dac plugged directly into idevice sometimes will not be allowed, requiring a work around such as an usb hub :frowning2:. If such restriction could be bypassed... 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 15, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #63 of 214
Hi!

Has anyone opened an Apple Lightning to USB camera adapter? Since it has capabilities that the standard usb cable doesn't have, I guess it must contain another chip in the female USB A end?

I recently bought an iFi Nano iDSD, and it works like a charm with the Touch 5G running iOS 7.1.2. I had an idea about breaking a Lightning to USB camera adapter open and unsolder the female USB A end from the chip and replacing it with a male USB B connector...

What do you guys think?

Jul 15, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #64 of 214
Hi!

Has anyone opened an Apple Lightning to USB camera adapter? Since it has capabilities that the standard usb cable doesn't have, I guess it must contain another chip in the female USB A end?

I recently bought an iFi Nano iDSD, and it works like a charm with the Touch 5G running iOS 7.1.2. I had an idea about breaking a Lightning to USB camera adapter open and unsolder the female USB A end from the chip and replacing it with a male USB B connector...

What do you guys think?

I had a cayin c6 dac/amp. It wasn't apple certified, but it still worked with ios devices because it used the cck components inside of it.

I don't know if it's the cable that's the difference, I think it's the female usb port or the dac chip.

Jul 15, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #65 of 214
Hi!

Someone did that earlier this year FYI

I thought the Apple lightning camera cable has a chip in it so you can't use other cables?

You are right. The lightning CCK can't be modified, the lightning cable is epoxied onto the CCK chip. I just trimmed the sleeve on the lightning side of the cable to make it at a right angle for better portability. The USB cable is the modded portion from a Wireworld Starlight USB. I'll be making another one from Nordost Heimdall 2 USB soon...

So the CCK ship is on the "adapter end" and not the "lightning end"?

Think so. This one I accidentally broke the usb legs off while removing the casing :frowning2:

Looks like it.
If there could be an easy way to combine the lightning plug and the CCK chip in the same "plug housing" and attach a decent USB directly it would be just perfect.

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #67 of 214
Really good thread, Thanks for Letting me know Expat :) 

Ive found a few alternatives from Furutech - 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FURUTECH-ADL-ID8-L-0-10M-Right-Angled-Lightning-Cable-USB-A-Lightning-for-iPhone-/261521105318?pt=US_Tablet_AV_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3ce3df61a6

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FURUTECH-ADL-iD8-A-0-10M-Lightning-Cable-USB-A-Lightning-for-Apple-iPhone-/251575997176?pt=US_Tablet_AV_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3a931912f8

But still no Venturecraft for the UK that I can see :frowning2:

Anyone wanna donate a right angled cable??? lol 
tongue.gif

Aug 6, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #68 of 214
Furutech are just a bit too big for my liking.

Better to go for the v-moda for a small fit. :).

I will probably upgrade to the new Venturecraft and sell off my original cable sometime....

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #69 of 214

Users who are viewing this thread

Back