Light Harmonic Geek Wave
Nov 30, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #4,246 of 5,933
I talked to Larry, and he is not happy and will talk to Gavin about it. He wants me to make very clear: this has NOTHING to do with LHL and we were not informed in any way this would happen.

Just a thought: perhaps he could send a follow-up email apologizing for sending the first one?

Not much surprises me any more. That one knocked me for a loop.

Nov 30, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #4,247 of 5,933
Then it really suck!!! I paid for something which you just decide not to offer anymore. Can I get my money back in this case? I am really not interested at “upgrading”.

I completely agree with this. If it is no longer available then I should have the option of a refund!!!

The Wave 32 was a financial stretch for me on a student's budget. If you can't deliver what you offered, then give me my money back.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #4,248 of 5,933
Well, the talk here got me curious. I had to look because the email from Gavin fish ended up right where it belongs - in the spam folder. While it is possible (Though exceedingly unlikely) that I may do business with LH Labs in the future, rest assured that I will NEVER knowingly do business with Gavin Fish or any of his business concerns.

Now... Will the Waves be delivered before the end of 2018? Enquiring backers want to know. And... Will they ever ship more than the six or two or however many Sources that have supposedly gone out?

J.P.

Dec 1, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #4,249 of 5,933
Next Source update will mention great customer feedbacks :wink:

@stuck limo
Sorry Jarek,

Need to come back to the Source questions I asked a month ago at the IGG side:

Latest update says the decisions for the 5TB HDD and the SSD have been done.
What about the 3TB HDD backers have opted for? Will this also be a Toshiba one from the same series?
Or won’t there be any 3TB HDD and all Sources will either have have a 5TB HDD or SSD?

Maybe he could also shed a bit light on it what particular functions the iOS Remote Control Software will have (e. g. if it will be possible to play certain genres/albums/years.... etc. or if it will be possible to random play songs based on the genres I have chosen).

Doesn't Larry respond to it?

Thanks in advance.

@stuck limo
Jarek,

any news on these ones?

I honestly don't get it that Larry hired you as Spoc towards us but don't help you to fulfill your job.
Wouldn't really surprise me if you quit due to this "bottleneck" situation.

Dec 3, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #4,251 of 5,933
So does this mean that Gavin effectively took customer data with him when he left LHL, which he is now abusing?

BTW - judging from what I keep seeing about the Wave, with prototype boards and such, it appears that they might be following through on that at some point. Either that, or it's a particularly sick joke.

Hiby just announced a dual-Sabre Android-based music player. This after FiiO is already selling the second version of their X7, AK has released an uncountable number of DAPs and I can't even count the number of other alternatives already available. At about this stage I think people should be asking for a public audit of the company.

Dec 3, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #4,252 of 5,933
So does this mean that Gavin effectively took customer data with him when he left LHL, which he is now abusing?

Hiby just announced a dual-Sabre Android-based music player. This after FiiO is already selling the second version of their X7, AK has released an uncountable number of DAPs and I can't even count the number of other alternatives already available. At about this stage I think people should be asking for a public audit of the company.
Or a class-action suit.

Dec 3, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #4,253 of 5,933
The question has always been, do crowd funders have any recourse. My understanding is that we don't (and if we did win in court, LH Labs would likely fold, and we'd get pennies on the dollar back. No win situation. Which is why so many here are incensed).

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #4,254 of 5,933
The question has always been, do crowd funders have any recourse. My understanding is that we don't {and if we did win in court, LH Labs would likely fold, and we'd get pennies on the dollar back. No win situation. Which is why so many here are incensed.

Agreed...which is why I'll never do crowd sourcing again. It's a shame too...my first experience with it and my last.

Dec 3, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #4,255 of 5,933

As Larry and I have already discussed, there is a world of difference in the manufacturing and design of these units you're referring to and LHL gear. I've also previously stated that these companies already have a platform to build on. Once our platform is done, our design work is done, etc. then for (example) the Wave 2, it would be an 8 month process, similar to how fast LHL pumped out Geek Out units. You're comparing two completely different types of units and companies.

Dec 3, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #4,256 of 5,933
Agreed, the first product type for a company is the most challenging, particularly a complex product such as a DAP. After you have the first one of a product family out, the next generations are much easier and quicker to develop. Even going from a basic DAP to a high end second generation model is much faster than bringing the first one to production.

Put in simple terms, there is no equivalence in comparing well established makers of DAPs, such as A&K, Fiio and whoever to LH Labs developing and producing their first DAP.

Of course, all of this is made worse by the utter incompetence of the management of LH Labs. While Larry was doing okay managing Light Harmonic, which was basically a one product, small production boutique audio company, the complexities of managing even a small multi-product "mass market" company are obviously beyond Larry and the few managers that he has. This is not to bash Larry as an individual, or his design expertise, this statement has only to do with his management abilities. If they had a good manager, one who could properly manage the multiple products and teams, running the company, things would almost certainly be different today. Hopefully they can get this issue sorted out before the company is so far under that Larry is forced to accept failure and close tge doors.

J.P.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #4,257 of 5,933
While Larry was doing okay managing Light Harmonic, which was basically a one product, small production boutique audio company, the complexities of managing even a small multi-product "mass market" company are obviously beyond Larry and the few managers that he has. This is not to bash Larry as an individual, or his design expertise, this statement has only to do with his management abilities. If they had a good manager, one who could properly manage the multiple products and teams, running the company, things would almost certainly be different today.

I can't agree with this enough. I have heard only good things about the products that LH produces. I'm looking forward to Wave... But it's important to also be critical of the errors in execution. That's how we can help LH grow.

I'm not saying this will necessarily happen, but imagine if, in 50 years, the Geek Wave is some super niche piece of music history. Only few thousand made, 11 survive to this day, and I have one. And it's still good? I would love that.

And in order for that to be realistic, LH has to improve as a company.

Obviously I don't know what will happen with audio over the next 50 years, but that line of thinking excites me. I would very much like for this to be the last DAP I ever want to purchase.

Dec 3, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #4,258 of 5,933
It utterly beggars belief that stuck limo would try to albeit apologetically justify the utter screw up that’s the Wave campaign. Get real dude, as this shambolic catastrophe is an an aberration of the highest order, with monumental screw ups, lies, misinformation and duplicitous deceit. Larry Ho has metaphorically shafted hundreds of head-fiers by taking our crowd funded money and delivering vague promises, lies, obfuscation and more deception. Larry Ho is a lying scoundrel with no morality or conscience whatsoever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 3, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #4,259 of 5,933
As Larry and I have already discussed, there is a world of difference in the manufacturing and design of these units you're referring to and LHL gear. I've also previously stated that these companies already have a platform to build on. Once our platform is done, our design work is done, etc. then for (example) the Wave 2, it would be an 8 month process, similar to how fast LHL pumped out Geek Out units. You're comparing two completely different types of units and companies.

Note when LHLabs originally said that its platform, and the product, would originally be "done", and all the other projects, some started up under other company names, while this remained unfinished. Also that, as you said, Larry isn't in the country and we know he is working on other projects. I'm surprised that he didn't just say "We screwed up" and dump the Wave entirely. I guess if he did that, it'd make it impossible to start up any more.

I commend you for your efforts -- you're doing far better than other people have, but trying to argue anything other than the complete story is effectively pissing on an electric fence.

Dec 3, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #4,260 of 5,933
Note when LHLabs originally said that its platform, and the product, would originally be "done", and all the other projects, some started up under other company names, while this remained unfinished. Also that, as you said, Larry isn't in the country and we know he is working on other projects. I'm surprised that he didn't just say "We screwed up" and dump the Wave entirely. I guess if he did that, it'd make it impossible to start up any more.

I commend you for your efforts -- you're doing far better than other people have, but trying to argue anything other than the complete story is effectively pissing on an electric fence.

Again, I've never made excuses for how far behind the project is. I simply stated once it's done (whenever that is), it should be a much quicker process for future Wave models (assuming we get that far).

That said, Larry is back in the States now (as of Friday) and LH is moving into a new office space, so that should help alleviate a lot of the issues with repair timeframes, etc.

Thank you for the nice words and encouragement. I really appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back