LH Labs Geek Out v2+ Discussion Thread
Sep 2, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #256 of 2,040
  I ordered this cable for the balanced output:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-Silver-Plated-TRRS-Re-Zero-Balanced-To-4pin-XLR-Female-Cable-For-Amplifier-/251992929864?var=&hash=item3aabf2f648

I'll be using a modified balanced AKG 7XX when it arrives.

Kindly post your impressions of this adapter after you use it. I'm in the market for a GO V2+ and an affordable adapter would be a plus. Thanks.

Sep 2, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #257 of 2,040
Sep 2, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #258 of 2,040
hmm so heres an interesting idea. Based on the pin out, does this mean that we won't be needing 3.5mm TRRS balanced to 3.5mm TRS Single ended adapters? Meaning if I buy a 3.5mm TRRS balanced cable for my headphones to use with the GO V2+, can I use the sample cable to use my headphones with SE outputs like my tablet and cellphone? Won't the L- and R- pins just get shorted together and act as ground in the single ended connection?

Quote:

LH Labs

(Source)

RE-Zero

(Source)

Yup!

Sep 2, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #259 of 2,040

If I'm remembering correctly it really depends on what you insert into what. If you insert a TRRS plug into a TRS port then I think you're okay, as the two channels will just share the common "-" leg. However, if you insert a TRS plug into a TRRS port then things will not be good, as you're shorting across the different terminals in the amp itself. I believe that is why LHL put that red plug into the TRRS port on the V2 and V2+. 

If I've got this wrong then please correct me my friends! 

Cheers

Sep 2, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #260 of 2,040
  Not a bad price for the adapter. 3.5mm and 2.5mm balanced jacks are a pain to deal with when DIYing a cable, so it's good to see that there are some options on the market. I personally would prefer to buy an adapter from a trusted source and I'm hoping that we see some official adapters from LH Labs, otherwise I'll probably end up having a custom adapter made by a cable maker I trust.

The seller is Lunashops.com  They are reputable. I've gotten tips and a few other things from them in the past with no issues, and several other head-fi members have used them as well.

Sep 2, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #261 of 2,040
  The seller is Lunashops.com  They are reputable. I've gotten tips and a few other things from them in the past with no issues, and several other head-fi members have used them as well.

Agree. I've used them before as well for a dual 3-pin XLR to 2.5mm TRRS adapter to allow me to connect my Infinity to my CDM. Worked well. 

Just ordered the 4-pin XLR to 2.5mm TRRS and also the 4-pin XLR to 3.5mm TRRS to allow me to listen to my LCD-3's on the CDM and the eventual Wave using my Moon SD V3 balanced cable. Having the extra adapters is also good at shows so you don't have to swap cables as much. 

Cheers 

Sep 2, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #262 of 2,040

HIFIMAN also makes their own cable. They use the same pinout as LH Labs, so it'll work just fine. Won't do anything for your HD700.

http://hifiman.com/products/detail/133

It's good to know about the existence of this option as  well.  Thanks.

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #263 of 2,040

I'll third this one. I've also used Lunashops to great effect in the past. They're not local and you can't go next door to check in on them, but they're as dependable and consistent as I've found. 

Sep 3, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #264 of 2,040
The battery takes about 2-3 hours to charge the 3000mAH battery. I'm so used to my quick charge phone that I forgot a charge could take that long. It seems to last me for my morning and afternoon work commute the entire week on the lowest gain setting. (10-15 hours ish) I left the device on accidentally a few times so I need more time to see how long it actually lasts.

Sound wise, this could easily be my desktop DAC. I tried it via Jriver and Foobar and it is my favorite DAC/amp to date. It is more enjoyable than my Audio-GD NFB 11.32 ever was, and I haven't even tried it balanced yet. At the initial backer price, it's a total bargain (for the Infinity). It easily surpasses the V1 as well. 

Sep 4, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #265 of 2,040
  The battery takes about 2-3 hours to charge the 3000mAH battery. I'm so used to my quick charge phone that I forgot a charge could take that long. It seems to last me for my morning and afternoon work commute the entire week on the lowest gain setting. (10-15 hours ish) I left the device on accidentally a few times so I need more time to see how long it actually lasts.

Sound wise, this could easily be my desktop DAC. I tried it via Jriver and Foobar and it is my favorite DAC/amp to date. It is more enjoyable than my Audio-GD NFB 11.32 ever was, and I haven't even tried it balanced yet. At the initial backer price, it's a total bargain (for the Infinity). It easily surpasses the V1 as well. 

awesome impresions. am kicking myself for not jumping on the V2+  

What is the main difference between the V2+ and V2+infinity? How much was the backer price if you don't mind me asking?

Sep 4, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #266 of 2,040

What is the main difference between the V2+ and V2+infinity? How much was the backer price if you don't mind me asking?

The Infinity has an extra gain setting, an extra PCM filter, and an improved THD + N spec. I don't know the price differences.

Sep 4, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #268 of 2,040

If you got in when it was called the Geek Stream (very early backing), it ended up being less than $250 for the V2+ Infinity.

Despite the wait, nothing on the market is anywhere near as good sound or spec wise for the price of up to $450 IMO. The new Sabre chip is a beast and isn't as cold/shrill as past Sabre chips.

I'm holding off on a full review until I can try it balanced.

Sep 4, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #269 of 2,040
  If you got in when it was called the Geek Stream (very early backing), it ended up being less than $250 for the V2+ Infinity.

Despite the wait, nothing on the market is anywhere near as good sound or spec wise for the price of up to $450 IMO. The new Sabre chip is a beast and isn't as cold/shrill as past Sabre chips.

I'm holding off on a full review until I can try it balanced.

I am stuck contemplating between the apogee groove and the GO V2+  I have a loaner groove unit and its such an upgrade over my macbook its not even funny. I wonder how well the groove compares against the V2+?

Not gonna lie, so jelly right now, a steal of a deal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back