LH Labs Geek Out v2+ Discussion Thread
Sep 1, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #241 of 2,040
The case looks better there but a can't unsee the indent right next to the 3.5mm output.  Looks like it was pressed in when inside a pocket or something was placed on top off it.  Not sturdy at all!  Hopefully that's not a production "blemish".  
rolleyes.gif

Sep 1, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #242 of 2,040
  The case looks better there but a can't unsee the indent right next to the 3.5mm output.  Looks like it was pressed in when inside a pocket or something was placed on top off it.  Not sturdy at all!  Hopefully that's not a production "blemish".  
rolleyes.gif

Great, now I can't unsee it. lol

It's a shame how poor the case is, because sound quality wise this is the best dac/amp combo I've ever owned. It surpasses my old Audio-GD desktop unit.

Sep 1, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #243 of 2,040
  Great, now I can't unsee it. lol

It's a shame how poor the case is, because sound quality wise this is the best dac/amp combo I've ever owned. It surpasses my old Audio-GD desktop unit.

The latest indiegogo update mentions a case revision to include some aluminium, to the point where further V2+ shipment has been put on hold. I kind of wish LH would just admit to themselves 3d printing isn't ready for this type of application and revert to a V1 style chassis...

Sep 2, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #245 of 2,040

The case looks OK to me. I guess I am in minority, but I prefer it that way - I care most about the great sound, don't care that much about the case as long as it functions flawlessly.

Sep 2, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #247 of 2,040
  I noticed you use the single ended output. Don't know what headphones do you use, but with my HE-560, it was big improvement when I got a new balanced cable and started using the balanced output. Might be a good idea to try with yours as well.

Well, in order to use a balanced cable with this unit, would you need some kind of adapter? I have the hifiman he-500 (and also the He-6, although I'll probably not use the He-6 with the GO V2 +), along with the Sennheiser hd 700... All of them are equipped with cables that are terminated with 4-pin XLR balanced connectors...

Do you know how one might connect these headphones to the GO V2 + in balanced mode?  Would one need some kind of adapter in order to make this happen, or does Light Harmonic have some special cable in mind for this purpose?

Sep 2, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #248 of 2,040
  Well, in order to use a balanced cable with this unit, would you need some kind of adapter? I have the hifiman he-500 (and also the He-6, although I'll probably not use the He-6 with the GO V2 +), along with the Sennheiser hd 700... All of them are equipped with cables that are terminated with 4-pin XLR balanced connectors...

Do you know how one might connect these headphones to the GO V2 + in balanced mode?  Would one need some kind of adapter in order to make this happen, or does Light Harmonic have some special cable in mind for this purpose?

I first made one myself from the original cable - replacing the 6.3mm jack with 3.5mm TRRS. But also ordered higher quality cable on ebay, and that's what I use now. The pin-out is documented here: https://support.lhlabs.com/support/solutions/articles/5000634421-geek-out-v2-user-manual- (for some reason it is not in the V2+ manual, but works the same with V2+)

Sep 2, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #249 of 2,040

I replied in previous entry, but it is held for approval (I am new on head-fi). The most important info is the link to the V2 manual, which includes the balanced 3.5mm pinout. (it is not included in V2+ manual, but is the same)

Sep 2, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #250 of 2,040

I first made one myself from the original cable - replacing the 6.3mm jack with 3.5mm TRRS. But also ordered higher quality cable on ebay, and that's what I use now. The pin-out is documented here: https://support.lhlabs.com/support/solutions/articles/5000634421-geek-out-v2-user-manual- (for some reason it is not in the V2+ manual, but works the same with V2+)

I replied in previous entry, but it is held for approval (I am new on head-fi). The most important info is the link to the V2 manual, which includes the balanced 3.5mm pinout. (it is not included in V2+ manual, but is the same)

Thanks man.  This is very helpful.

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #251 of 2,040

HIFIMAN also makes their own cable. They use the same pinout as LH Labs, so it'll work just fine. Won't do anything for your HD700.

http://hifiman.com/products/detail/133

Sep 2, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #253 of 2,040
Not a bad price for the adapter. 3.5mm and 2.5mm balanced jacks are a pain to deal with when DIYing a cable, so it's good to see that there are some options on the market. I personally would prefer to buy an adapter from a trusted source and I'm hoping that we see some official adapters from LH Labs, otherwise I'll probably end up having a custom adapter made by a cable maker I trust.

Sep 2, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #254 of 2,040

Users who are viewing this thread

Back