LH Labs Geek Out v2+ Discussion Thread
Sep 11, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #286 of 2,040
Heard the GOV2 at our national headphones meet last weekend, man that thing sounded amazing with my Ether, I was really taken aback. Shame about the housing of course. Like some others here waiting on the V2+, hope the chassis redesign/tweak happens soon, although I'll settle for a longer wait for it to be done right.

Sep 11, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #287 of 2,040
Heard the GOV2 at our national headphones meet last weekend, man that thing sounded amazing with my Ether, I was really taken aback. Shame about the housing of course. Like some others here waiting on the V2+, hope the chassis redesign/tweak happens soon, although I'll settle for a longer wait for it to be done right.

Wow that's great to hear. I have the Ether on my list too.

Sep 11, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #288 of 2,040

I am loving my V2, received them yesterday. I am really really digging how they sound. The build quality and chassis is the only downside. If they can retain the same sound quality as the V2 along with improving the chasse, I am buying the V2+ because I have yet to hear a better dac. 

Whenever am not at my mac with the V2, am always thinking about it so to have a portable edition would be worth it to me. I am coming from a cheapo SMSL M2 and Fiio E17 btw. The M2 has is one of the cleanest and most neutral Dacs I have heard but its got nothing on the V2 :)

Sep 11, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #289 of 2,040
I am loving my V2, received them yesterday. I am really really digging how they sound. The build quality and chassis is the only downside. If they can retain the same sound quality as the V2 along with improving the chasse, I am buying the V2+ because I have yet to hear a better dac. 

Whenever am not at my mac with the V2, am always thinking about it so to have a portable edition would be worth it to me. I am coming from a cheapo SMSL M2 and Fiio E17 btw. The M2 has is one of the cleanest and most neutral Dacs I have heard but its got nothing on the V2 :)

I don't think it'll come too close to surpassing my desktop rig, but I'd be surprised it if didn't beat out my HA-2, HeadAmp Pico USB DAC/amp and Dragonfly (1.2).

Sep 11, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #290 of 2,040
I don't think it'll come too close to surpassing my desktop rig, but I'd be surprised it if didn't beat out my HA-2, HeadAmp Pico USB DAC/amp and Dragonfly (1.2).

To be fair, I wouldn't expect it to surpass good desktop rigs, but the fact that its even being compared to desktop rigs is very telling, as I feel they straight out massacre many small foot print amp/dacs that I have heard, including the HA-2 and Dragon fly 1.2 and even the Apogee Groove which I have had for a few weeks (review loaner). 

Apogee has a constant current drive amp which might be quite beneficial in certain cases and it has a MUCH nicer build quality than the V2 but the V2 DAC is superior to the groove DAC (stomps all over it honestly) and the V2 amp is as good as the Groove to my ears if not close to it. Groove is inconsistent with my gears, good with some, terrible with others. V2 seems to sound great with everything.

I actually run line out from my V2 so the amp section is moot. The V2 is neutral, clear and transparent, and leaner compared to the Groove but thats a good thing as I want a transparent set up

Sep 11, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #291 of 2,040
I've compared the v2+ to my desktop DAC twice the price and about 50x bigger, and the v2 sounded at least as good. I also compared the HA-2 to my desktop DAC, and the HA-2 lost out big time with only around 2/3rds the clarity and 1/2 the soundstage. That is to say the v2+ could have sounded even better than the desktop DAC (if I had enough A/B time), of which was already around twice as good as the HA-2.

I was under the impression that the v2 doesn't have a line-out, rather just an amp'd 3.5mm out with variable gain settings; which can optionally be doubled amped with another AMP. Or does it have a separate line-out?

Sep 11, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #292 of 2,040
I've heard a couple of people say they prefer the GOV2 to the Gustard DAC, a couple of others who say it is uncomfortably close the their Gungnir too. It's punching well above its weight, no doubt.

Sep 12, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #296 of 2,040
  Thus being said, I wouldn't jump ship on desktop DACs just yet - my take is that a full size rig may have longer lasting internal components. And if the v2 does not have a line-out, it may not handle external amps as well.

At max volume & 1000 ohm setting, the output on the V2/V2+ is bit perfect and has the requisite voltage to to the job (IIRC, 2.18 Vrms for single-ended, 4.2 Vrms for the balanced output). Since the output voltage is pretty standard, there shouldn't be much of a chance of an external amplifier clipping from too much voltage input. (Which is one of the big dangers of double amping.) 

The only differences between the V2/V2+ at max output and a true line-level output are high output impedance and that the signal *is* double amped per se. But the V2/V2+'s class A amplifier has a really low distortion profile/THD+N/Crosstalk/SNR. My guess is that any effects of double amping would be pretty far below the threshold of audibility. 

With that kind of power output, truth be told, external amplification shouldn't be that necessary. But, if you choose to use an external amp, as long as the external amp isn't crap, it shouldn't be a problem. Double amping isn't an optimal situation and I certainly would have preferred that they add a dedicated line out. But from my listening tests with the V2+ hooked to a Leckerton and an ALO RX Mk3B, the V2/V2+ seemed to handle external amplification just fine. 

Sep 17, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #298 of 2,040
  Balanced adapter arrived. Works perfect.

Not a huge difference, but definitely noticeable. Just pure crisp clarity.

Which one is that? Looking to pre-purchase one before getting my V2+.

Sep 20, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #299 of 2,040
So, any updates from anyone? News on the chassis redesign? From those few who have review units etc?

Also, just in reference to the Sabre DAC, does the Infinity have the same Sabre DAC as the others, or a higher model?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back