LH Labs Geek Out v2 Discussion Thread
Apr 7, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #812 of 1,391
Is LH Labs still in business?

I've opened a Support Ticket to ask for a refund on my Geek V2+  order and it has been 9 days and with absolutely no answer.

Apr 8, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #813 of 1,391
Well, that sucks that it's been 9 days. I'm sad that they did deliver so well on the GOv2, yet they've let a lot of backers down on other products.

The GOv2 is a phenominal DAC/amp combo... Leaps and bounds above other more established companies offerings. The delays and other problems with LH's crowd funding are not good, however I believe it's possible to be frustrated without making silly statements.

Crowd funding is a somewhat risky endeavor... Sometimes it pays off and sometimes it's tough. I don't think LH is getting rich off the backs of others, personally. I think they have a fair amount of promises that weren't delivered, but also at least one knock out product that I am glad to own.

Apr 9, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #814 of 1,391
  Is LH Labs still in business?

I've opened a Support Ticket to ask for a refund on my Geek V2+  order and it has been 9 days and with absolutely no answer.

We have quite some people working on ticket system. So this is not right for 9 days. Please PM me the ticket number, I will let them check for you. 

Apr 9, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #816 of 1,391
Larry, got a response on the 10th day. No way to refund and no firm estimate to when my Geek V2+ Infinity will arrive. Love your creations, but wish the delivery expectations were better. Had the same waiting issues with the Geek Pulse Infinity. I can PM you the case number later when I get on the front of the computer.

Thanks for the reply!

Apr 9, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #817 of 1,391
No way to refund? Is that a campaign purchase or any purchase even on their website?

Apr 9, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #818 of 1,391
Using an adapter to use the GOV2 balanced is one of the best things I have done audio wise. I can really recommend Norne Audio for a place to get one made. Mine is flawless. The sound from the  balanced out is worth the money spent on the adapter!

Apr 9, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #819 of 1,391
Mine shipped from BTG today. Can't wait

Apr 10, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #820 of 1,391
Using an adapter to use the GOV2 balanced is one of the best things I have done audio wise. I can really recommend Norne Audio for a place to get one made. Mine is flawless. The sound from the  balanced out is worth the money spent on the adapter!

Agreed. You can also make one very economically if you have a soldering iron. Just need to get a 4 pin XLR female connector, and a cheap TRRS cord. (I found a bunch at the dollar store, which were surprisingly good quality).

Apr 13, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #821 of 1,391
My balanced adapter arrived. Yeah, it's a different beast altogether. It now has the powe to drive the zmf omni. Also seems to open up the sound to the point of slowing it down. It is astounding. The soundstage alone is worth the cost of the investment. The others were correct. Not using this thing balanced is a huge mistake. Get the adapter or cable.

Apr 14, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #822 of 1,391
Hi 

Technical Question for balanced config for all of GOV2-s (+ or -; normal or Infinity version):

would it be possibe to get a full balanced  output to drive my studio monitors, i.e. two standard XLR for left and right speakers by making a DIY cable in the following way: 

1. from the TRRS for HP out I have the + and - balanced outs for both left and right cannel
2. Additionally, I could combine them both with the TRS sleeve output to add the 3d pin for ground (only the sleeve will be used, tip and ring being left void, not soldered.)

I am aware of the warning, not use both output simultaneously. But the this special configuration would only use the ground on the SE sleeve - is it a good idea at all? Is it safe? 
In this way we could have a full featured quality DAC also for studio applications, or is the primarily headphone otherwise not optimal for standard line out.

Thx.

PS: BTW my previously reported issue with the ticketing service was solved at last by LH Labs in a very correct way, so I have edited my previous complaint post accordingly.
My thanks also to Larry. 

Apr 14, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #823 of 1,391
Just wondering why you'd need the ground... Speakers normally just have a + and - for the coils... Are the monitors active? I haven't tried using the GOv2 as a DAC only so not sure if it would sound ok. If that is what you're trying to do...

Apr 15, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #824 of 1,391
Just wondering why you'd need the ground... Speakers normally just have a + and - for the coils... Are the monitors active? I haven't tried using the GOv2 as a DAC only so not sure if it would sound ok. If that is what you're trying to do...

The monitors are active. I have tried the GOV2 infinity already with a TRS --> 2*XLR standard converter cable on the SE output (where the minus PIN and Ground are shorted), and it delivered already a better sound on both of my dynaudio BA5-MKII and GENELEC M030 than my old EMU-0404 true balanced output. (I am playing HighRes 96/24 classical records from ClassicsOnlineHD). 

I am just wondering whether there is a potential to get even better - and if this experiment is possible at all and if does make sense at all or it could damage the DAC?  

Apr 15, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #825 of 1,391
The monitors are active. I have tried the GOV2 infinity already with a TRS --> 2*XLR standard converter cable on the SE output (where the minus PIN and Ground are shorted), and it delivered already a better sound on both of my dynaudio BA5-MKII and GENELEC M030 than my old EMU-0404 true balanced output. (I am playing HighRes 96/24 classical records from ClassicsOnlineHD). 

I am just wondering whether there is a potential to get even better - and if this experiment is possible at all and if does make sense at all or it could damage the DAC?  

Ah the persuit of better sq. :wink:

A few things considering your experiment:

(1) You're not concerned about voiding warranties in your experiment.
(2) Yo don't mind if one or more components aren't functioning after your experiment

Having tossed those two considerations aside, here is what I think would work best without being a true full Balanced LO to Balanced LI connection;

Connect each of your HP channel this way:

TRRS. XLR(pin)
Left +. --->. 2
Left - --->. 3
Left - --->. 1

Repeat and rinse for the right channel. Although not the best configuration compared to a true balanced line out, it should provide you with roughly 20 to 30 dB of common mode rejection. You use a 2 wire cable with a ground shield (3-wire connection for a balanced channel).

Now my honest opinion about this: unless you run miles of cable and/or you're in a electrically high noise environment, you're results won't be that much better. I believe people's perception of a better sq is more related to higher voltage levels afforded with a true balanced connection, that's just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back