LH Labs Geek Out v2 Discussion Thread
Mar 10, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #796 of 1,391

No reason why it shouldn't but depending on the device, you may/will have to supply your own power for it; and even if you don't have to, you should want to.

Good to hear. Well I have an LG G4, not sure if it would provide enough power or not? If it doesn't, how do I supply my own power for it?

Mar 12, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #797 of 1,391
I've ordered an adapter from BTG. Hopefully that will get the job done. If it's as big a difference for me as some folks I'll be very happy. Kinda excited.

Mar 12, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #798 of 1,391
  ... Well I have an LG G4, not sure if it would provide enough power or not? If it doesn't, how do I supply my own power for it?

This problem has been answered a number of times for many different cell phones and tablets. Some will never work, others only need a usb cable. Start with a search of this thread. If that doesn't work, go to the Geek Out 1000 & 450 threads.

I don't know any details about your LG but there are a number of issues you may have to deal with. If you are really lucky, simply plug it in and the LG will supply enough power and it's usb implementation and Android OS implementation will talk to the V2. If there is not enough power, you can solve that with an external 5v dc source and a splitter cable which isolates the 5v pin on the LG. The 5v dc source can be a battery (like the one you use to charge your phone; e.g., a VAANs Power Bank, etc..) or a 120v ac to  5v dc power supply (these vary from wall warts of various quality up to linear power supplies).  Finally, as with some Apple devices, you may have to add a 2 port usb hub like the "plugable Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Hub" (try Amazon). 

Mar 12, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #799 of 1,391

This problem has been answered a number of times for many different cell phones and tablets. Some will never work, others only need a usb cable. Start with a search of this thread. If that doesn't work, go to the Geek Out 1000 & 450 threads.

I don't know any details about your LG but there are a number of issues you may have to deal with. If you are really lucky, simply plug it in and the LG will supply enough power and it's usb implementation and Android OS implementation will talk to the V2. If there is not enough power, you can solve that with an external 5v dc source and a splitter cable which isolates the 5v pin on the LG. The 5v dc source can be a battery (like the one you use to charge your phone; e.g., a VAANs Power Bank, etc..) or a 120v ac to  5v dc power supply (these vary from wall warts of various quality up to linear power supplies).  Finally, as with some Apple devices, you may have to add a 2 port usb hub like the "plugable Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Hub" (try Amazon). 

Thank you for that!

I got a USB OTG cable today and tried connecting my V2 with the LG G4, didn't work unfortunately. The V2 didn't even power on - which I'm assuming is because there's not enough power. Luckily though my Hifimediy Sabre DAC does work. I don't think I'll go through that lengthy process of providing a power supply as I'm not that bothered with sound quality on my phone when I'm on the go. 

Mar 22, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #803 of 1,391
After waiting for a ridiculously long time, the balanced cables for my HD650's finally arrived today. For the past three weeks or so I've been using the GOv2 mainly with my DT880 or my HD650 though the SE output, and even then I was impressed with the sound the GOv2 delivered.

Now that I'm using a balanced setup on the HD650's, it really made the 650's come alive. To say that I'm enjoying this would be vastly understating it. Overall nearly everything improved in the sound. Its not a huge upgrade but its easily noticeable, and it makes going back to SE seem pointless. Micro-detailing, resolution, and transparency all improved. As cliche as this sounds, I'm noticing hints/errors in classical recordings that were otherwise either inaudible or extremely subtle.

Its similar to engaging 'sports mode' on a car. It wont transform the car into another one, but it'll certainly feel sharper and more precise. This is a personal analogy but it works well for me
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #806 of 1,391
I guess you really can't have it all. If I had one complaint with the GOv2, it would undoubtedly be the build quality. Absolutely nothing about it inspires confidence, and I'm literally babying it around so it lasts me a long while and doesn't go wrong. For a product of this price, I would have liked something built much better. 
But then again, this is easily tolerable given the sound it pumps out 
L3000.gif

Mar 26, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #807 of 1,391
  I guess you really can't have it all. If I had one complaint with the GOv2, it would undoubtedly be the build quality. Absolutely nothing about it inspires confidence, and I'm literally babying it around so it lasts me a long while and doesn't go wrong. For a product of this price, I would have liked something built much better. 
But then again, this is easily tolerable given the sound it pumps out 
L3000.gif

I got a friend who refuses to buy it because of the build quality. He's heard it and likes it but apparently build quality is more important. *shrug*

Mar 26, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #809 of 1,391
What are the specific issues with the build quality?

Cheap and small. Lightweight. Plastic.

I said what is more important - sound quality or how it looks? You're only going to be using it as it sits on the computer desk, not transporting it places except to maybe your living room occasionally. The issue of it falling apart is basically a non-issue. He said the thing is not worth 300 and he feels like he's getting nothing for his money. He claims he feels he can get both equal sound quality and build quality at the same price point.

Oh well!

Mar 27, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #810 of 1,391
Well, Build Quality covers (at least) 3 areas:
1.  Aesthetics (look AND feel)
2.  Functioning of mechanical components (eg switches, alignment of pins, tolerances etc)
3.  Compliance with standards: electronic, electrical/static, physical (eg drop tests, heat, structural integrity etc)

So someone who says he "doesn't like the build quality" may not just be talking about its looks.
For example, the v2+ has been put back twice for chassis changes: mostly, as far as I can tell, for structural integrity issues, not just for alignment, or look and feel.

So it's an important issue if the component is to last over its warranty (or extended warranty) period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back