LH Labs Geek Out v2 Discussion Thread
Mar 1, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #781 of 1,391

From the feedbacks I got, balanced is even more awesome then single-ended. No question about it.
Sound stage, and background darkness and smoothness.... you could find out quick.

SE - meh, this sounds alright/good... competes with other DAC/amp combos I've heard... I probably wouldn't buy this, but it's ok.

Balanced - Wow... this sounds better than anything else I've heard in this price range. Definitely a no-brainer; despite all the issues I've heard with LH Labs... this is effing good.

What stands out for me is that the SE lacks the dynamics of the balanced connection, it also sounds "dirtier" which may be what some people are calling a darker background with the balanced connection. It also lacks (subjectively speaking) a lot of the details of the balanced connection. The balanced connection lets you hear a HELL of a lot of ambient details, trailing notes, decay, micro-detailing (whatever you want to kill it). This is where the soundstage comes into play... suddenly there are all of these details being presented which just widens everything up, and also brings out nuances in bass and treble that fill up the height of the stage.

I could go on about the GOv2 for quite some time... I haven't heard anything in this price range that sounds as good as it does. I also would not characterize this DAC/amp as smooth... IMO smoothness is normally a symptom of gear that is unable to properly present details, giving our ears a polite, blurred version that we perceive as smooth. Conversely, gear that can toss out details which aren't properly balanced in dynamics, tone and presentation will sound horridly bad. Treble in particular on this gear can sound biting, with glare or rough sibilance. A lot of gear that falls into this category for myself seems to be overly bright... like the designers simply messed with the FR to throw more treble energy and details our way... definitely not a smooth presentation.

What the GOv2 does IMO is a refined, detailed treble presentation. It isn't the same natural sounding treble to my ears as the Multibit Schiit DACs, but it does come very close for a DS Sabre DAC. I would guess that the filtering built into the GOv2 is responsible for this... there is some magic happening there to provide such a refined, balanced and detailed presentation. The Class A amp also does wonders with this DAC, and I find it sounds best to my ears after it's had a chance to (literally) warm up. I normally plug mine in an hour before I listen.

Mar 1, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #782 of 1,391
W
Which adapter is recommended by the creator?

You should have your cable, only if it's a 4 wire cable, reterminated with a TRRS (balanced) connector.  You shouldn't use an adapter to change a TRS (Single Ended) connector to use with a balanced (Female TRRS) output.  You could short out the unit.  You can use an adapter to change from TRRS (balanced) > TRS (Single Ended), just not the other way around.

Mar 1, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #783 of 1,391
I know that much. I have a balanced cable that is not being used. It came with my zmf

Mar 2, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #784 of 1,391
Glad to hear the hifiman works. I've still never heard the v2 balanced. Fortunately it sounds awesome SE. Let us know when you get it hooked up.

There's about a 25 - 35% improvement on the balanced output, at least through my Senn 600s. Noticeable but not jaw droppingly different. But once you experience it, you still won't want to go back.

Mar 2, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #785 of 1,391
Opportunities are diminishing. No longer on Amazon . looking at some eBay options. Some cable makers not taking orders. Too busy. I just want an adapter anyway. No hurry really I'm still enjoying it SE out of computer when I'm mobile.

Mar 3, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #787 of 1,391
Opportunities are diminishing. No longer on Amazon . looking at some eBay options. Some cable makers not taking orders. Too busy. I just want an adapter anyway. No hurry really I'm still enjoying it SE out of computer when I'm mobile.

Someone told me he got one custom made from Forza Audioworks http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/. 

Mar 5, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #788 of 1,391
I just received my GOv2. I'm surprised of how small this thing is! Build quality isn't particularly confidence-inspiring, if I'm honest. Had to install some drivers then plugged it in, and I must say I am very pleased and impressed. Keep in mind that I'm running it SE through a DT880 since the balanced cables for my HD650 haven't arrived. Anyway, initial impressions are great. I'm coming from an Aune T1 with some expensive tube in it. 

First thing I noticed is how full-bodied and meaty the sound is - relatively speaking - compared to my T1. The mids in particular seem to have jumped out and have a lot more presence. Everything sounds clearer and micro detailing is excellent. Its actually weird hearing my DT880's sound like this. They had this certain thinness in the bass and mids when using the T1, now its gone and it sounds much better. 

I'll update with more impressions once I try it with my HD650 on a balanced setup and other headphones. 

Mar 5, 2016 at 5:17 AM Post #790 of 1,391
Be prepared for a knocking out of the park with the HD650. Simply brilliant with the HD650 and it's bigger brother HD800.

I just hooked it up and even with the SE it sounds wonderful. Can't wait to try it balanced. 

I've just finished setting up Foobar for DSD playback, now playing Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon in DSD 64 
L3000.gif

Mar 7, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #791 of 1,391
Just got my GOv2 from amazon to go with the HD650. Still waiting on my cable but it sounds good so far.

Just had a question about the Gain switch. According to the LH labs Geek Out V2 User Manual:

"*V2 retail units will have a White LED that denotes the Low gain and  Blue LED that denotes the High gain. This was changed to blue for retail production units.
* Pre-Production units will have a Blue LED which denotes the Low gain and a Red / Blue which denotes Medium Gain (for Infinity models), and a Red LED which denotes the High gain."

My gain LED cycles between blue and red - does it mean i have a pre-production unit? Does anyone else have a red/blue led?

Thanks.

Mar 7, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #792 of 1,391
the led that goes red is the digital filter led, I think.  try green, that's FRM.  I prefer that one

Mar 7, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #793 of 1,391
Act
  the led that goes red is the digital filter led, I think.  try green, that's FRM.  I prefer that one

Actually, my filter light goes Blue and green, and the light with the "G" next to it (gain) goes red and blue. 

As per the manual, it it seems like I have a pre-production unit - I wonder if I should go through the  trouble of returning it?

Mar 9, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #794 of 1,391
Question:. Does the V2 work with an android device or an iPad? I know they designed the V2+ for that but is it possible for it to work with a regular V2?

Mar 9, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #795 of 1,391
Question:. Does the V2 work with an android device or an iPad? I know they designed the V2+ for that but is it possible for it to work with a regular V2?

No reason why it shouldn't but depending on the device, you may/will have to supply your own power for it; and even if you don't have to, you should want to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back