LH Labs Geek Out v2 Discussion Thread
Sep 9, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #496 of 1,391
I did the same thing, opened a ticket and got a tracking # from stephanie a few days later.  hooray my gov2 is on the way and I can unsubscribe from this thread :wink:

Sep 9, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #497 of 1,391
Going by all the negative comments earlier I thought they would have horrible customer service when I tried to contact them. NOPE. They responded promptly, and did a fantastic job helping me order my V2. It was Stephanie as well and she was really nice and helpful.

I got a shipping notice an HOUR after I placed the V2 order. I am sure people may have different experiences with them, but from my only interaction with them I am really impressed and look forward to trying out some of their future products

I most likely picking up the V2+ in October once its ready

Shipping was cheap too, only 29 bucks for next day delivery from the states. Thats nuts!

Sep 10, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #499 of 1,391
Okay, so if I use it straight out of my mac I am pretty sure I will break the USB part. Can anyone recommend a good usb extender tail like the one for audioquest dragonfly. 

@AustinValentine  any advice buddy? You were right by the way, immediately noticeable improvement over the groove.

Honestly when I unwrapped it, I was like this is it? Its so small and ugly. I plugged it in, waited 10 minutes like the manual said. Plugged it in and started up Fidelia audio player on my mac. Audio wouldn't play properly and it started lagging. I was like uh oh. Restarted the program and same problem.

Tried Audirvana and all is good now, turns out it was just the software
rolleyes.gif
 For a device this small, it is a REALLY good dac.

But a few things I didn't like off the bat
- Build quality looks ugly AF but it sounds so good I am willing to over look it :wink:
- no accessories with it. Not even a carrying case. Would hope for a bit more but if it all went into the getting the best audio I can get behind that
- Looks fragile and the writings for the different settings on the body is not as clear as I would like. 

And for some reason, despite my initial appalled reaction, can't stop smiling while I am listening to my favorite songs. This thing is amazing :) So good that I am willing to overlook all my reservations about the physical aspects. LH you guys/gals nailed it, sonic wise. I am definitely a fan!

@bhazard  @AustinValentine Thanks so much for your help and advice!

Sep 10, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #500 of 1,391
Monoprice USB extender 1.5 foot is what I got to use with it. You guys all ordered at the right time. I'm actually a little annoyed you guys are receiving them before me since I preordered even before the igg champaign

Sep 10, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #501 of 1,391
LH Labs has their LightSpeed Extender USB Cable

Sep 10, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #502 of 1,391
Monoprice USB extender 1.5 foot is what I got to use with it. You guys all ordered at the right time. I'm actually a little annoyed you guys are receiving them before me since I preordered even before the igg champaign

Thank you :)  Email Customer Service and open a ticket, that might speed up things (worked for some people apparently)

Sep 10, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #503 of 1,391

This :wink:  Monoprice works fine. 

My only consolation is that at least my V2+ was delayed for case work. I'd *really* like for it to be delivered already! 

Sep 10, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #504 of 1,391
  LH Labs has their LightSpeed Extender USB Cable

Link please? Can't seem to find it on their store

My only consolation is that at least my V2+ was delayed for case work. I'd *really* like for it to be delivered already! 

Thanks! Tried looking for it, do you have the link by any chance? 

And sorry for all the folks still waiting, I don't mean to rub it in... just wanted to share my excitement :)

Sep 10, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #505 of 1,391

Never mind my last post, found the link, its less than a dollar lol. I wish I could find something like the dagonfly tail at a cheaper price. Am gonna order the monoprice cable now

Sep 10, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #506 of 1,391

Link please? Can't seem to find it on their store

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/geek-out-v2-the-world-s-most-powerful-compact-amp/x/7987417#/story  one of the on demand perks.  Should be shipping within 2 weeks

Sep 10, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #507 of 1,391
Found a short usb cable extender on amazon, and its fulfilled by amazon as well    http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-USB-2-0-Extension-Gold-Plated/dp/B002KNI796

I already ordered the monoprice cable and that was 5 dollars all in. Not bad. I might pick this up but they dont ship to canada :frowning2:

Sep 11, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #508 of 1,391
touchdown!  gov2 is here and I'm using it with balanced cable with he560.  sounds great
edit:  gov2 was locking up with wyrd and jriver but I increased buffer and it seems to have fixed it.. so far
Man, the gov2 sounds incredible.  The beat in Chemical Brothers - Born in the Echoes hits so hard compared to my NOS Battery dac.

the manual says not to plug in single ended and balanced headphones at the same time..  does that mean I shouldn't plug in the SE port to my preamp/speaker amp while I have my balanced headphones plugged in???

here's my messy setup, balanced trrs hifiman cable and monoprice premium 3.5 to rca cable plugged in.  with he-560 and speaker amp

bass so good with gov2 in this song

Sep 12, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #509 of 1,391
@RedJohn456 - You can purchase the AQ Dragontail from Amazon.ca.  It's kinda expensive compared to the states tho.  $34 CAD vs $16 USD

At $16 I thought it was ok value for money considering that it gets the dongle off my computer and used AQ "Carbon" technology for a short run.  YMMV...

US:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AHFWAQU

CA:
http://www.amazon.ca/AudioQuest-Dragon-Tail-Extender-Dragonfly/dp/B00AHFWAQU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1442094220&sr=8-2&keywords=audioquest+dragontail

If you have a V2+ on order, you can use an adapter (USB A to USB 2.0 Micro B) to convert the DragonTail.  You'll pick up some loss on the 1 additional connection, but at least it's an adapter and not another cable.

Cheapo ones here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TAM0MZW

For those of you that ordered a GOV2+ and looking for a (cheapo) OTG cable for your Android/Win Phone that doesn't use a bulky converter...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TQOEST0

Hope it's useful.

Frank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back