LG V50 ThinQ Smartphone
May 27, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #316 of 371
Go to ok, continue ok, continue until the initialization finishes... once you get to the phone homepage go to settings, phone info, updates, and uncheck auto update and check for updates. Then you restart it, connect it to the wireless and finish the setup by entering your google account and then going to the play store and downloading/updating your favorite apps. You will have an LG V50 android 9 that won't bother you with system updates anymore.

May 30, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #318 of 371
Go to ok, continue ok, continue until the initialization finishes... once you get to the phone homepage go to settings, phone info, updates, and uncheck auto update and check for updates. Then you restart it, connect it to the wireless and finish the setup by entering your google account and then going to the play store and downloading/updating your favorite apps. You will have an LG V50 android 9 that won't bother you with system updates anymore.
Thank you my freind i get it now!
Really appreciate the help👍
It should be with me in a couple of weeks?
In regards to Android 9 how much different is it to 10?
Im typing this from a G7 and i actually really like 10 more so than any other OS iv tried ei.. Abmndroid 11 & 12, Samsung A22 with it own version of Android 12 but i much prefer Android 10 on LG over any of them!
Just wondered how different 9 was on LG compared to 10 on LG?

May 31, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #319 of 371
I wish they will upgrade the firmware to android 13 as the last one. I will be switching soon from V50 to V50S more internal memory and more RAM.
beware mate, i had v50s, and i smashed the screen accidently, but the colours of OLED were not as nice, i liked v50 screen better..., plus extra ram wasn't something amazing, i would stay on v50, or go to v60

Jun 1, 2023 at 9:06 PM Post #321 of 371
Maybe I will go with V60 256 GB internal memory. Do you know what model can be updated to android 13?
US v60 128gb T-mobile was the earliest to get android 13, my VZ v60 still don't have a13, nor i want it... but i would wait up to 6 months before they fix bugs even more, and then update to a13.. 256gb versions were spread in Korea, i think, and they were sold out early, now i am having issues with unlocked verizon v60 a12, like i cannot call if my network is 4G or 5G, getting 3G is problematic too, i cannot get incoming calls too. Only way to transfer calls in / out is to switch to 2G/Edge internet, cave ages! And you cannot even browse mobile chrome/youtube... The good thing you can downgrade/upgrade to verizon android11 back and forth... Didn't notice sound dac changes in A11 or A12, so that 3.5mm jack is still gold for music with v60. I get everything on v50 korean, from 3g to 4g to 5g, and insane download speeds, now i am thinking of flashing v60 to European firmware, instead of US firmware

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #322 of 371
I am hobbyist android developer (read still a bit of a noob at this) and as I was saying earlier I prefer sound from my 4 years of use V20 than my newer V50, so I decide to look at the drivers of both.

What I discovered as a major difference is both these DACS are capable of the 'custom filters', but the V20 does not employ the use of them. Not only are there no options in the V20 ROM but it seems filter activation is disabled in the driver. The filter data is encoded into the driver and the data is the exact same for both phones.

On the V20 I have built the Force High Impedance modification into the kernel and I'm very happy with the result esp because I recently bought a pair Hifiman planar magnetic HE400se cans which don't trigger HIM. I am working on doing the same for the V50 but at the moment doesn't work. Have to figure that out.

However what I have done is I have disabled the custom filters on the V50, though I'm still not 100% certain this is working by simply listening. It's very hard to A/B sound when you have wait to reboot phone.

My question for you is what do you think of the custom filters in general? What are they for? When I change them there is a 1 second delay before change and I can hardly tell much of a difference anyway but maybe you do? Another question is is it the case there is always a filter in use? That there is no way to listen with them all turned off?

I'm just looking for opinions as the more info I have the better. Btw in case anyone is wondering with what I'm doing there is no way to bring back native DSD as that's a rom issue and I'm just working on the driver which is a android kernel issue. The A12 driver is the same as it was on A9.

For those with rooted V50 I may release what I have on XDA at some point so you can test disabled filters modification but I'd rather wait until I have the HIM built in with it as well. It will be a Magisk module.

edit: another thing, there appears to be values related to volume level that are device variant specific. Did I read here somewhere there is a difference between US and Korean dacs, and what was that exactly, and which one is 'better'.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #323 of 371
My question for you is what do you think of the custom filters in general? What are they for? When I change them there is a 1 second delay before change and I can hardly tell much of a difference anyway but maybe you do? Another question is is it the case there is always a filter in use? That there is no way to listen with them all turned off?

I'm not very knowledgable but if you want to dig into the subject matter AFAIK they're also known as interpolation or reconstruction filters? I believe used to avoid aliasing that is introduced in the digital>analog conversion and resampling processes and are integral to the DAC (so not sure there's a way to 'turn them all off').

The more recent generations of DACs started to make it easier to select and program filters, (subsequently some device manufacturers began to make this accessible from user interfaces).

From an audiophile perspective (as opposed to industrial/scientific applications of DACs) the pre-configured filter types (fast/slow etc..) are usually very subtle in difference as you observed. Not sure what the filters have to do with engineering considerations, but I think sometimes manufacturers use the custom filters to "tune" their devices with more noticable changes and/or simulate the "sound" of other types of DACs (for instance I have a dongle that offers a "NOS (non-oversampling DAC)" filter mode).

Anyway these might be helpful starting points:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reconstruction_filter

This video is more about sampling rates in digital recording setups and I'm not sure if it relates remotely to DAC filter concept but seems like a good illustration of the broader concept of aliasing in audio:

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #324 of 371
the V50, though I'm still not 100% certain this is working by simply listening. It's very hard to A/B sound when you have wait to reboot phone.
over the years, LG used, was it Meridian?, and B&O to tune the 9218 in their top tier phones. some people were able to try most or all models and noticed the differences. I think the V50 was one of the favorites though. I can't remember which Korean model, or if there were multiple Korean models sought, but I do remember one year the Korean version CAME OOTB with a higher tier ear bud than the I think B&O H3's mail promotion offered outside Korea and had a 256GB standard model while I think 64 or 128GB was the norm in other markets. I think one year the Korean version was louder also but I don't remember which phone. As far as filters it's really hard to discern the differences. It maybe little easier to pick out some differences but I'm sure most people, including myself, could not consistently notice across different recordings.

Jul 26, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #325 of 371
I'm not very knowledgable but if you want to dig into the subject matter AFAIK they're also known as interpolation or reconstruction filters? I believe used to avoid aliasing that is introduced in the digital>analog conversion and resampling processes and are integral to the DAC (so not sure there's a way to 'turn them all off').

The more recent generations of DACs started to make it easier to select and program filters, (subsequently some device manufacturers began to make this accessible from user interfaces).

From an audiophile perspective (as opposed to industrial/scientific applications of DACs) the pre-configured filter types (fast/slow etc..) are usually very subtle in difference as you observed. Not sure what the filters have to do with engineering considerations, but I think sometimes manufacturers use the custom filters to "tune" their devices with more noticable changes and/or simulate the "sound" of other types of DACs (for instance I have a dongle that offers a "NOS (non-oversampling DAC)" filter mode).

Anyway these might be helpful starting points:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reconstruction_filter

This video is more about sampling rates in digital recording setups and I'm not sure if it relates remotely to DAC filter concept but seems like a good illustration of the broader concept of aliasing in audio:

Those were helpful. So I thought the filters were some kind of equalizer type thing but it seems they are for improving the quality of the analogue signal i.e lessen interference/distortion etc. So I'm barking up the wrong tree by disabling them in the driver.

Sep 5, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #326 of 371
Hi guys wonder if someone can shed some light on something for me?
Iv just moved over to Amazon Unlimited HD from Tidal/UAPP..
When I play a track with 24bit-192khz it show it's only outing 24bit-48khz! Does anyone have this issue or no why it's happening?
LG V50
Android 10
Amazon Unlimited HD
Thanx in advance for your help guys really appreciate it 👍

Sep 6, 2023 at 12:50 AM Post #327 of 371
Sounds like the known issue with the Android mixer resampling anything to 48kHz.

But 24 bit should bypass this behavior, afaik.
Especially since Uapp/Neutron does this to bypass the Android mixer.

Sep 6, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #328 of 371
Hi guys wonder if someone can shed some light on something for me?
Iv just moved over to Amazon Unlimited HD from Tidal/UAPP..
When I play a track with 24bit-192khz it show it's only outing 24bit-48khz! Does anyone have this issue or no why it's happening?
LG V50
Android 10
Amazon Unlimited HD
Thanx in advance for your help guys really appreciate it 👍
Amazon HD doesn't allow playback via UAPP so you can't override the android resample (48khz) and that's why I abandoned it in favor of Qobuz which instead allows the use of UAPP.

Sep 6, 2023 at 2:39 AM Post #329 of 371
Sadly Amazon Music won't give/allow 3rd party access. The UAPP developer said this few years back.

Sep 6, 2023 at 2:41 AM Post #330 of 371
Sadly Amazon Music won't give/allow 3rd party access. The UAPP developer said this few years back.
I agree with this, but they could at least commit to creating a better application, let's say like UAPP. I asked them thousands of times, then I got annoyed and changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back