LG V50 ThinQ Smartphone
Sep 7, 2023 at 7:26 AM Post #331 of 371
Nice one guys that's what I thought was happening but wanted to make sure👍
It's REALLY annoying Iv used UAPP with Tidal for the last couple of years but it's double the price of Amazon Unlimited HD!
So when I worked it out i can have both my Amazon Prime AND High-Res streaming via Amazon Unlimited HD for less than just Tidal Hi-fi so I jumped ship and cancelled my Tidal membership AND got 30 days Amazon HD free! Also, I don't know if it's the honeymoon period or pure placebo but I found Amazon to sound better than Tidal under non-hi-res quality?
Anyway, thanks for the help guys and it looks like I'll be heading back to Tidal,UAPP under duress 😂😂😂😂😂

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #332 of 371
Nice one guys that's what I thought was happening but wanted to make sure👍
It's REALLY annoying Iv used UAPP with Tidal for the last couple of years but it's double the price of Amazon Unlimited HD!
So when I worked it out i can have both my Amazon Prime AND High-Res streaming via Amazon Unlimited HD for less than just Tidal Hi-fi so I jumped ship and cancelled my Tidal membership AND got 30 days Amazon HD free! Also, I don't know if it's the honeymoon period or pure placebo but I found Amazon to sound better than Tidal under non-hi-res quality?
Anyway, thanks for the help guys and it looks like I'll be heading back to Tidal,UAPP under duress 😂😂😂😂😂
At this point, if I were you (after the free month of Amazon) I would also try the two free months of Qobuz before deciding who to subscribe to for a year. Qobuz costs a little more than Amazon, but it allows you to use UAPP and therefore enjoy music in high definition (without resampling) through Android.

Sep 7, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #333 of 371
Thanks I'll check that out👍
I think iv decided what to do? I will use Amazon Unlimited HD for streaming(which I useout & about) because I noticed 90% of the Ultra HD are 24/48 anyway and a few are 24/96 but when your out or at work ect.. you really cannot tell the difference between 48khz &. 96khz!
I will then just use UAPP for my own extensive collection of hi-res files on SD which I have over 750gb of😀
The ONLY really bummer is about 25% of said files are DSD rips from SACD & R2R but Android dropping support for DSD & MQA has really messed that up for me! My v30 was still on 9 so all was good but when it died I purchased a V50 thinking it will ship with 9 but no luck it was 10 which I was seriously p-ssed off about, so now I have to put up with all those amazing DSD Files being sampled to PCM😡 What can you do !!!!! LoL
Anyway, thanx for the help guys really appreciate it 👍

Sep 8, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #334 of 371
Has anyone had an experience with Android 12?
Reason for asking? Unfortunately my V50 came with Android 10 instead of the stated Android 9 so I lost DSD & MQA support which was a 😞 Anyhow, this made me totally forgot to to turn off Auto-update and yesterday when my phone ran out of battery it auto updated to Android 11🙄 As luck had it it's not made much of a difference and all audio related specs are still as they were!
Anyway, LSS, started looking into Android 12 and it has some really handy little upgrades but, before upgrading i done some searching and on another forum a guys has indicated that since upgrading to 12 all his audio including hi-res streaming has been locked to 16bit🥴
He goes on to stating it's also happening in UAPP with different DAC'S!!
So with this in mind i wanted to check with anyone here wether they have experienced the same issue/bug?
Iv already been robbed of my DSD and would be propa P-SSED if i lost the ability to stream at 24/48 which just about makes up for the shortcomings of Bluetooth!!
So would really be interested in anyone who's upgraded to Android 12 on V50?
Thankx in advance guys for the help really appreciate it 👍

Oct 4, 2023 at 12:32 AM Post #335 of 371
Just bumping again cos didn't get answer to question!
Is anyone running Android 12 on V50 and using Amazon Music Unlimited?
I wanted to know if you are still able to get 24bit Hi-Res?
As i said in my last post i read someone could only get 16bit 44.1khz after updating to Android 12 from Android 11!
Once again, thanks for all your guys it's really appreciate very much 👍

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2023 at 2:10 AM Post #336 of 371
Just bumping again cos didn't get answer to question!
Is anyone running Android 12 on V50 and using Amazon Music Unlimited?
I wanted to know if you are still able to get 24bit Hi-Res?
As i said in my last post i read someone could only get 16bit 44.1khz after updating to Android 12 from Android 11!
Once again, thanks for all your guys it's really appreciate very much 👍
Using Amazon Music everything is resampled to 48 kz by the android system and not because of the operating system version but for how Amazon works under android. I had Amazon Music then I decided not to renew it and switch to Qobuz which, if used via UAPP, returns the correct sampling it receives (truly Hi-Res) from streaming using proprietary UAPP drivers and not Android. A whole other world.

Oct 4, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #337 of 371
Hi thanks for the info 👍
I was aware of the Android resampling to 48 which is a bummer to say the least but it was the bit depth i was concerned about!
Someone on readit said when he updated to Android 12 from 11 Amazon Unlimited stopped outputting to 24bit and only streamed in 16but!
This is the issue I'm worried about because i can really tell a difference between 16 & 24but and add the 48khz resampling it starts getting into the "I can really hear a difference" situation even when out & about which is what i use Amazon Unlimited for!
I'm not concerned when I'm at home because i use UAPP & ifi DAC with my Local DSD & FLAC collection!
As i say, i can really hear a difference between 16 & 24bit mostly in the distortion & ulra-high frequencies so REALLY need to be sure there isn't some sort of bug in Android 12 causes an issue with the bit depth before i update!
The only reason I'm considering updating is my V50 is getting really cliché & buggy and i constantly get OS Upgrade notifications even though iv turned of auto-update which is really strange lol
So yeah long story short i really want to hear from someone with LG V50+Amazon Music Unlimited HD+Android 12 who can confirm if Amazon Unlimited outputs to 24bit or stuck on 16bit?
Thank you for your help though i really appreciate it 👍

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #338 of 371
Hi thanks for the info 👍
I was aware of the Android resampling to 48 which is a bummer to say the least but it was the bit depth i was concerned about!
Someone on readit said when he updated to Android 12 from 11 Amazon Unlimited stopped outputting to 24bit and only streamed in 16but!
This is the issue I'm worried about because i can really tell a difference between 16 & 24but and add the 48khz resampling it starts getting into the "I can really hear a difference" situation even when out & about which is what i use Amazon Unlimited for!
I'm not concerned when I'm at home because i use UAPP & ifi DAC with my Local DSD & FLAC collection!
As i say, i can really hear a difference between 16 & 24bit mostly in the distortion & ulra-high frequencies so REALLY need to be sure there isn't some sort of bug in Android 12 causes an issue with the bit depth before i update!
The only reason I'm considering updating is my V50 is getting really cliché & buggy and i constantly get OS Upgrade notifications even though iv turned of auto-update which is really strange lol
So yeah long story short i really want to hear from someone with LG V50+Amazon Music Unlimited HD+Android 12 who can confirm if Amazon Unlimited outputs to 24bit or stuck on 16bit?
Thank you for your help though i really appreciate it 👍
My V50 is using v12 and I'm pretty sure that qobuz is streaming native resolution. The only confirmation I have though is that UAPP shows the file res. I'm presuming that given its bypassing the android OS that the native res is being presented to the dac/amp.

That doesn't answer your question however, but it might be the solution.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #339 of 371
Deleted.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #340 of 371
General question on usable device life. I've replaced my V50 with an S23 Ultra, mostly because it's faster and a much much better camera (which is the more important function for me). I've still got a V30 and the V50 (Korean version) and the dilemma is to either keep the V50 as a DAP or invest in something like the Fiio Ka5 for the S23. What I'm unsure about is how long can I expect the software to be functional, assuming I prevent any further updates of UAPP.

Nov 25, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #341 of 371
General question on usable device life. I've replaced my V50 with an S23 Ultra, mostly because it's faster and a much much better camera (which is the more important function for me). I've still got a V30 and the V50 (Korean version) and the dilemma is to either keep the V50 as a DAP or invest in something like the Fiio Ka5 for the S23. What I'm unsure about is how long can I expect the software to be functional, assuming I prevent any further updates of UAPP.
If I were you I would transform the V50 (like I did) into a multi-dongle dap, reformatting it and removing all the non-music apps and leaving only the main ones. As your first dongle (if you love a smooth, analogue sound) I would recommend you try the Shanling UA3 with its wonderful Android application Eddict Player. For just 70 euros on Hifigo it's a gift. However, it is understood that the best app for Androids is and remains UAPP which I use for Qobuz (bit perfect). In addition to this, the V50, unlike the Samsung, allows you to use a 512GB microSD card with which you can listen to all your music ripped to flac (if you have it).

Nov 25, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #342 of 371
If I were you I would transform the V50 (like I did) into a multi-dongle dap, reformatting it and removing all the non-music apps and leaving only the main ones. As your first dongle (if you love a smooth, analogue sound) I would recommend you try the Shanling UA3 with its wonderful Android application Eddict Player. For just 70 euros on Hifigo it's a gift. However, it is understood that the best app for Androids is and remains UAPP which I use for Qobuz (bit perfect). In addition to this, the V50, unlike the Samsung, allows you to use a 512GB microSD card with which you can listen to all your music ripped to flac (if you have it).
So basically keep the V50 as a music player, but will be connected to WiFi for streaming. I'd keep using UAPP anyway and download most of my Spotify and Qobuz play lists for offline play back. That's a zero cost option, though pretty sure I could sell it for a similar cost of something like a Ka5. The challenge is carrying around 3 devices, a work phone, a personal phone and a DAP phone.

Nov 25, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #343 of 371
So basically keep the V50 as a music player, but will be connected to WiFi for streaming. I'd keep using UAPP anyway and download most of my Spotify and Qobuz play lists for offline play back. That's a zero cost option, though pretty sure I could sell it for a similar cost of something like a Ka5. The challenge is carrying around 3 devices, a work phone, a personal phone and a DAP phone.
No, you use the dap phone at home and you use the dongle with both phones, so when you're at home you don't drain the battery of your main phone. :wink:

Nov 25, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #344 of 371
No, you use the dap phone at home and you use the dongle with both phones, so when you're at home you don't drain the battery of your main phone. :wink:
I don't need the dongle for the V50 though, it's good enough on its own. If I bought a dongle, I've no need for the V50. I don't listen to music on my phone at home very often anyway, I use my desktop dac or main hifi system. It's an on-the-road solution I need to find.

Nov 25, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #345 of 371
I don't need the dongle for the V50 though, it's good enough on its own. If I bought a dongle, I've no need for the V50. I don't listen to music on my phone at home very often anyway, I use my desktop dac or main hifi system. It's an on-the-road solution I need to find.

as stated by polky I'd turn the V50 into a dedicated DAP or stack with something like a topping G5 or maybe one of the xduuo XD-05 variants. I currently use a G8X with a G5. I may put the V20 back into service as a stack as it's currently doing bluetooth duty with a JBL soundbar w/SW. the 9218/19 is fine as as is but a DAC/AMP like the G5 or XD-05 step it up bigtime in sound quality and amp power. currently waiting to see if Amazon is going to fulfill an order on T50 50th to see if I need a more powerful amp like the fiio K7a. If the G5 is plently of power I will grab a XD-05 Plus2. if not, I will grab the K7 for desktop duties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back