LG V50 ThinQ Smartphone
Nov 25, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #346 of 371
If you are looking for amplifiers take a look at the Venture Electronics RA2BFE, it should arrive within a few days and from what I have read it should be excellent. :wink:

Nov 25, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #347 of 371
as stated by polky I'd turn the V50 into a dedicated DAP or stack with something like a topping G5 or maybe one of the xduuo XD-05 variants. I currently use a G8X with a G5. I may put the V20 back into service as a stack as it's currently doing bluetooth duty with a JBL soundbar w/SW. the 9218/19 is fine as as is but a DAC/AMP like the G5 or XD-05 step it up bigtime in sound quality and amp power. currently waiting to see if Amazon is going to fulfill an order on T50 50th to see if I need a more powerful amp like the fiio K7a. If the G5 is plently of power I will grab a XD-05 Plus2. if not, I will grab the K7 for desktop duties.
OK, but I'm struggling to understand the logic of keeping the V50 just as a file source. The S23 can stream into an external DAC just as effectively as the LG, so if I buy an external DAC then I can see no reason for keeping the V50.

My question is really whether something like a KA5 or similar is going to be an improvement over the V50, and will the V50 software last indefinitely, in my case UAPP in Android 12 OS.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #348 of 371
OK, but I'm struggling to understand the logic of keeping the V50 just as a file source. The S23 can stream into an external DAC just as effectively as the LG, so if I buy an external DAC then I can see no reason for keeping the V50.

My question is really whether something like a KA5 or similar is going to be an improvement over the V50, and will the V50 software last indefinitely, in my case UAPP in Android 12 OS.

f idk dude. I don't have just one source. I also don't like using my main phone as a source. radio interference and it's my phone, not a main source, so using it stacked would deplete battery. I do use it occasionally when I am not bothered to carry my main portable setup. not only that, when I'm listening to music and WANT to mess with my main phone I can do it without interference, radio and textual. I still have my V20 which is not a main but the 2 G8Xs I bought serve as my backup phone and whenever I finally decide to retire my Galaxy Note 9 512GB. It turned 5 this year and I'm still not bothered to move to a G8X yet.

Nov 25, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #349 of 371

If you only want to have one phone and you think you no longer need the V50, you can easily sell it and buy the KA5. Then if you like the sound of the KA5 more than that of the V50, you will discover this after listening to it... I have a fair amount of experience with dongles and the chips implemented inside them and honestly the sound hyper-detailed and a little cold like that of the KA5, I don't prefer it, but obviously here it comes down to personal tastes. However, I think that if you like the sound of the V50 you will also be fine with the FiiO without any problem. I can't tell you how long the compatibility of the operating system installed on the V50 with apps like UAPP will last, but I hope very much since I own two V50 (Android 9) and the last thing on my mind would be to sell them and I still use a V20 (android 8) with extreme satisfaction. I can only tell you that I still use an Onkyo DP-X1 running Android Lollipop 5.1.1. on which UAPP runs very well.

Nov 25, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #350 of 371
but I hope very much since I own two V50 (Android 9) and the last thing on my mind would be to sell them and I still use a V20 (android 8) with extreme satisfaction. I can only tell you that I still use an Onkyo DP-X1 running Android Lollipop 5.1.1. on which UAPP runs very well.

V20 android 7. phhhhhhhtttttt

Nov 25, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #351 of 371
If you only want to have one phone and you think you no longer need the V50, you can easily sell it and buy the KA5. Then if you like the sound of the KA5 more than that of the V50, you will discover this after listening to it... I have a fair amount of experience with dongles and the chips implemented inside them and honestly the sound hyper-detailed and a little cold like that of the KA5, I don't prefer it, but obviously here it comes down to personal tastes. However, I think that if you like the sound of the V50 you will also be fine with the FiiO without any problem. I can't tell you how long the compatibility of the operating system installed on the V50 with apps like UAPP will last, but I hope very much since I own two V50 (Android 9) and the last thing on my mind would be to sell them and I still use a V20 (android 8) with extreme satisfaction. I can only tell you that I still use an Onkyo DP-X1 running Android Lollipop 5.1.1. on which UAPP runs very well.
Thank you, that's useful info. I decided to buy a used Truthear Shio at a good price, so will see how that performs with the Samsung, and how it compares to the V50. If the difference is negligible then I'll keep the V50 and I'll have not wasted too much cash.

Nov 25, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #352 of 371
V20 android 7. phhhhhhhtttttt
Yes maybe you're right... but I don't check the operating system of my phones every day... lol
I just check that they work again... lol

Nov 25, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #354 of 371
oh no. I was just teasing. I never bothered upgrading to 8 because unlocked bootloader and recovery was a pain on the v20.
in the end the important thing is that they work... also for this reason I don't try to update them beyond what LG provides... or rather what it provided...

Nov 27, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #355 of 371
Just got the Truthear Shio today, and had a quick 5 minutes comparison to my V30 and V50, all playing bit perfect from UAPP and the same track. There's really not much in it, I think they are similar power capability judging by how loud they can go, though the Shio in balanced has an edge here. However, the Shio volume is crude in big steps, so need to do something about that. The V30 is actually really smooth, the V50 less so, and closer to the Shio. These are tiny differences though, and probably unable to reliably distinguish them in a blind test.

Jan 3, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #356 of 371
Super late and may be useless to practially everyone, sine I expect most have moved on to the V60 or elsewhere. Or maybe this works with the V60 and the rest?

EIther way, instead of fumbling with plugging out the cables from your headphones/earphones or using some sort of plug onverter thing. I had an OKcsc M2, and all I did to get high impedane mode was to simply plug it into my laptop, and after abit, plug it straight into my phone. It goes into high impedance mode.

I got it by mistake the first time a few days ago and just figured it out now.

Maybe someone an explain why this works? Anyway, something for people to try if they want high impedance mode. Android 13, (last)latest update. Not sure if it matters, but the laptop is an oild Vaio that I'm using for work, maybe someone can test it out on their laptops/desktops and tell me if it still works, if they still use these phones.

Jan 7, 2024 at 3:44 AM Post #357 of 371
My V50 is using v12 and I'm pretty sure that qobuz is streaming native resolution. The only confirmation I have though is that UAPP shows the file res. I'm presuming that given its bypassing the android OS that the native res is being presented to the dac/amp.

That doesn't answer your question however, but it might be the solution.
Hey sorry for such a huge delay in response i v not been to well!!
Thank you for the info this is very promising👍
I also read you done some test comparing the V50 with the Truthear Shio? Could i ask you a couple of questions?
First and most important what version of Android was the V50 on?
Lastly, when you posted your companion you had only test for around 5mins so wanted to get you impressions between V50 & Shio now you've had more time to properly compare?
Sorry one last thing!
If your V50 IS on Android 12 and you have access to either Amazon HD,Tidal or Qobuz could you please test and let me know what Bit Depth & Sample Rate you are getting through both wired AND Bluetooth?
Many many thanks in advance for your help i appreciate it very much 👍
Kindest Regards. Jay

Mar 20, 2024 at 6:02 PM Post #359 of 371
Lg V50 support LDAC and APTX HD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back