LG V50 ThinQ Smartphone
Jun 27, 2022 at 6:48 AM Post #286 of 371
Android 12 for lg v50 by end of June, if facts correct, can;t wait, i had a10 on v50, it didn't ruin sound at all, having a11, still sound perfect
I had android 12 on my Korean V50 for 2 weeks already! My security patch is : 1st May
Another lg v50s korea android 12, 3 weeks already and 1st june security patch.

Very good phone.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #287 of 371
Android 12 on v50, works well so far

Jun 28, 2022 at 2:16 AM Post #288 of 371
I wanted to ask you a question ... I have never updated my V50 and therefore it is still with android 9 because from some message here on head-fi I had read that updating it (even only to android 10) would have lost the compatibility for MQA files and native reading of DSD files. Given that I only use it for Amazon HD so not as a phone and I don't use either DSD files or MQA files that I don't have, would it be better for me to update it to android 12? On what aspects could it improve since for me it already has an infinite battery? I know that once updated it is difficult to go back except through unofficial procedures which I would like to avoid. Thanks to who will answer me.

Jul 3, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #291 of 371
Sorry, artpiggo, but I do not answer to disrespect, especially when I am overqualified, compared to others. I do not have to prove myself to emotional strangers. I never try to police anyone's thoughts and free speech. Just a hint: questioning my optometrist study and extended professional photography background is a bold thing to do. I paid about 100€ for a near mint V10 H961N with two plastic backs, one high end leather case, and 4 batteries. Spent quite a long time and flashed it to Android 7 cross-rom with Bulgarian language.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #292 of 371
Sorry, artpiggo, but I do not answer to disrespect, especially when I am overqualified, compared to others. I do not have to prove myself to emotional strangers. I never try to police anyone's thoughts and free speech. Just a hint: questioning my optometrist study and extended professional photography background is a bold thing to do. I paid about 100€ for a near mint V10 H961N with two plastic backs, one high end leather case, and 4 batteries. Spent quite a long time and flashed it to Android 7 cross-rom with Bulgarian language.
What disrespect? What quote of mine that you mentioned? I didnt feel anything wrong with it anyway, anyone has free speech. :)

Sep 21, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #293 of 371
I wanted to ask you a question ... I have never updated my V50 and therefore it is still with android 9 because from some message here on head-fi I had read that updating it (even only to android 10) would have lost the compatibility for MQA files and native reading of DSD files. Given that I only use it for Amazon HD so not as a phone and I don't use either DSD files or MQA files that I don't have, would it be better for me to update it to android 12? On what aspects could it improve since for me it already has an infinite battery? I know that once updated it is difficult to go back except through unofficial procedures which I would like to avoid. Thanks to who will answer me.

Hello... yes you will lose native DSD playback with UAPP if you go above Android 9.

If you don't use DSD, there's many reasons to upgrade. Two that come to mind: dark mode is far superior (accessible) on Android 10 and above & the settings menu is more logically laid out and easier to navigate.

One other curious difference between 9 and 10 is with the camera. If you're outside taking video in the dark with the flash(light), it will turn on and off when you hit the record/stop button. On Android 10, you have to manually turn it on and off with the onscreen Flash button icon. Kind of strange but something I noticed.

I just wish that Sprint V50 had more bands. It has a first generation 5G modem and actually includes the still hard-to-find (and way ahead of its time) n260 and 261 5G bands. Unfortunately, it has none of the lower needed bands except for Sprint's old n41 which is partially used by T-Mobile. That said, if you're in a strong 5G metro area, you'll get a great signal...but if you stray from there good luck getting any signal off it (the dreaded/useless "E" will appear for signal strength). .

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #296 of 371
Would the V50 or the G8(x) have comparable output power to something like the Shanling M3x?
Max power output of the V50 in HIM is 125mW @32ohm.
:wink:

Mar 1, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #298 of 371
I finally had the chance to briefly audition V50 in France. I met a seller specifically for this. The blueish pwm crappy display struck me from the start. I used Sennheiser HD 599 SE, which triggers high impedance mode. I played a 24/192 file and V10 was everything the V50 isn't - tighter, better controlled, fuller and more analogue sounding. The difference was so big that I stopped listening. LG music apps on bith phones were used. From memory, even my G7 Thinq was noticeably more refined and detailed than V50. I don't understand how anyone could praise V50 for being analogue. It was thinner, digital sounding. Awful.

I want to say I agree with you about this. My main driver was V20 for a few years and I won a batch of phones recently and one of them is a V10. Both the V10 and V20 are much much better than the V50. The V50 is a great phone but not for dac, like you say it sounds digital, the soundstage is narrow, and it just sounds all wrong with ALL of my wired headphones that sound great on the v10/v20. I prefer to listen to music on my desktop with a basic realtek audio chip than V50.

Mar 2, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #299 of 371
The phones have different tunings. The V10 is tuned by world-renowned audio savant B&O... while the V40+ (includes V50) now is tuned by...well...UK- renowned Meridian. There's definitely a Sonic difference and I ultimately preferred the Meridian tuning but I remember certain tracks were better with the B&O phone.

Mar 4, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #300 of 371
I guess the tuning is crucial and may very well make the photo unbearable to listen to. I greatly look both posts. My head hurts and I am dizzy from comparing V10 to xDuoo Link 2 Bal with HD 599 SE. I scored a great looking 4.4mm cable and compared all possible combinations for an hour. I was expecting balanced to to sound like a gain switch...but it changes the timbrenand brings a bit V-like treble and bass. It made soundstage considerably narrower and the sound - more forward "in your face". When I switch to 3.5mm, I miss the improvements but I like the wise soundstage. Can you imagine open back to sound like closed back? V10 sounded more analogue and musical' a bit dryer. I still prefer V10, especially for YouTube concerts. But the forward sound of the Xduoo Link2 Bal on 4.4mm made it extremely hard to prefer one or the other. V10 rivaling this device in balanced...count me impressed. Normally, any cheap dongle destroys phones in comparison. Mind you, a cheap $17 cable was used for balanced. But I doubt that cheap headphones like HD599SE deserve a $100 cable. Is this normal, narrow soundstage in balanced?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back