LG V30
Aug 25, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #5,416 of 6,140
Hi, I use Short most of the time. Quad dac of course enabled.

What I found is that the quad dac on the v30 is more analitical sounding than the DFR and also Iphone 6. The v30 sounds thinner and brighter, DFR is fuller and smoother. This is not a problem with warm headphone (like the 58x or the Phonon smb 02). It can be a problem with monitor like headphone (Sehhneiser hd25, Sennheiser ie40).

I tried more than 10 different players with not so awesome results. The usual suspect like Neutron, Uapp, Poweramp, they sounds good but I am not amazed. They seems to push the worst aspect of the sabre (analytical sound) up to a notch. I was fine listening Netron + DFR, not so with V30.

The last app I tried was the stock LG player, surprisingly it was the best of the bunch! I got a full sound, more dynamic, with better bass response and richness. What I think is that the LG player is fine tuned on the v30 dac taking into account the sound signature of the sabre. Other players are kinda generic (even if very advanced and full of options).

At this moment I am pretty sure I'll listen to the stock LG music app.

Cheers.
Hi how about USB Audio Player Pro?
Did you try that?
Capture+_2019-08-25-10-42-08.png
:)

Aug 25, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #5,419 of 6,140
Anyway, you can just try the stock music app. Let me know if after some listen you'll find it somewhat more "coesive" and "immersive" sounding.
To me it seems that the smart guys at LG audio fine tuned the music app on the sabre dac, this is why I heard a better sound.
Anyway, Maybe I am plain wrong and it's just placebo. :D

Aug 25, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #5,420 of 6,140
Hello V30 crew, Been a long time, It's great to see people love this device, It's really the best that LG has now tbh since no other phone has a proper BL unlock with the super idiot proof What hack and Frankenstien and with great community with Xposed guide by resident xpert, Anxious Magisk mod etc oh the solo DTS-X, just by build-prop edit (useful for Car speakers but not much for IEMs, I guess if it's still needed on Pie or not...Last but not least, the OS, LG UX, almost no bloat. I just disabled LG AirDrive, Smartworld and a couple and a ton of Google Bloat (Not LG bloat) that's it. If you have Samsung, you'd be bleeding with that crap.

Also People want updates for so many reasons, But security is overblown to be honest, Google PSP AMD, ME Intel, and Clipper chip etc, and the uber famous VPN China disaster with Apple and it's iCloud datacenter keys to Govt. etc.. It's always the same just a PR face masquerading, watch the Jason Bourne 2016 as well. Also Pie ruined a lot with Android by forcing fake notch on the dots, limitations of notifications in status bar. Killing undocumented APIs, killing powerful apps etc. And with Q the worst is coming, Scoped Storage disaster - More here from XDA (That FX app is great, I use it), Issuetracker, Reddit, AMA Reddit and now ff the Android losing the dessert naming to iOS type numbers (iOS is at 13 and Google is at 10, stupid Google any normie will think it's lower.. so bad that Android is changing following Apple) So always wait for the updates, no need to panic. Pixel has latest OS but what features ? None. OneUI looks very bad, and lacks no Audio engg like LG (I guess you already know Pro Video camera where you can select the Sound settings. The Supreme Audio recorder in your pocket, extremely versatile and so powerful - More here, V20 from LG Newsroom.

Keeping that aside..
I still see the HIM myth continues for it's eternity. To re-iterate here's my Post again. I suggest everyone to read it.

And coming to the Audio, I have extensively spent time with my beautiful V30S and my iPod 5.5G (Wolfson) (Which is still running and the best iPod) / Classic 6G (very less time spent, Cirrus Logic). I can clearly say that V30 is the king. I've often seen ESS Sabre having that sharp sound. And how iPod 5.5G was often called out for Bass-Roll off citing huge bass and 6G/7G was heralded as the best often and to some due to it's newer HW chip/RAM it runs faster than the 5.5G. And the conclusion is that, V30's Sub-Bass extension is superb, very deep, very hard hitting feeling (often I believe Sub-bass is special which you feel rather than hear). While the iPod 5.5G has overall mid bass and very good Sub-Bass. I have mentioned so many times apparently about my gear, DN1000 for being peaky treble, and I think the V30 has a pretty good sound signature for the mids and highs too and mostly it shows the weakness of the IEMs or head gear, still I can hear my DN1000s pretty great with the V30. While the 6G iPod always sounded metallic both in Car and my IEMs.

Next if you root the V30 you don't lose anything, it's super simple and very powerful. You can install Anxious V30 mod and enable the high volume gain switch which is default with that mod. Unfortunately the Whiskey Omega's thread had removed all the tavil.xml mixer path files to do it ourselves in a simple way, I strongly suggest unless you have those Planar technology gear do not waste the battery of the V30 and your gear by sending overpowered signals. I use UAPP, btw. Bitperfect mode. Its having better features than Stock, I wish it had the Directory based navigation, like my Rockboxed iPod has.

Just felt to post. Cheers.

I hope LG continues to keep the ESS QuadDAC 9218P if not adding ESS9038 in their lineup breaking the mold of the greedy wireless (Li-ion battery cycle limited life, poor quality, expensive wireless gear). They innovated a lot during the V30 by upping the ante with the Filters from the "P" suffix of the new DAC SKU added filters, and Chassis speakers with G7 and G8 stereo improvements with OLED sound technology. Unfortunately it's nothing much nowadays they always push that Meridian marketing crap (New LG home guy is the head for Mobile) and people bash LG more.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #5,421 of 6,140
Anyway, you can just try the stock music app. Let me know if after some listen you'll find it somewhat more "coesive" and "immersive" sounding.
To me it seems that the smart guys at LG audio fine tuned the music app on the sabre dac, this is why I heard a better sound.
Anyway, Maybe I am plain wrong and it's just placebo. :D

Hi crazywipe.
After your posts, I've to listen to music and take a comparison from myself.
(I'm still listen to :beyersmile:)

V30 put to HIM, filter is set to sharp, no other profil activated, UAPP set to bit-perfect
HP is Quad Era-1.
Volume set to 50.

Got a lot of genres in the line-up, which's mostly 16/44.1.

Album: Burmester Selection Vol. 1
Tracks: Geoffrey Oryema -Makambo; Allan Taylor - Chimes at midnight; Kami Bremnes - Spor (2015)

Album: Synthesis by Evanescence Tracks: Your star; Imperfection
Album: Resist by Within Temptation. Track: The reckoning

Blues Company - Invitation to the blues
Alex Clare - Tight rope
Linkin Park - Numb
Marco Bailey - Risin (by Justin Berkovi)
Stomp Inc. - Face the base (club mix) :grin:
Bacaloa & Sonne - My heart
(everybody feel free to listen to) :beerchug:

A lot of different sounds to compare the UAPP with stock player. ^^

But I can't find a difference between them.
Looks like there's something wrong with your settings, I think.

Anyways, I got a lot of fun this afternoon.
Thanks for your incentive. :o2smile:

Good luck and fun at your journey with the V30. :)

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #5,423 of 6,140
Hi, I use Short most of the time. Quad dac of course enabled.

What I found is that the quad dac on the v30 is more analitical sounding than the DFR and also Iphone 6. The v30 sounds thinner and brighter, DFR is fuller and smoother. This is not a problem with warm headphone (like the 58x or the Phonon smb 02). It can be a problem with monitor like headphone (Sehhneiser hd25, Sennheiser ie40).

I tried more than 10 different players with not so awesome results. The usual suspect like Neutron, Uapp, Poweramp, they sounds good but I am not amazed. They seems to push the worst aspect of the sabre (analytical sound) up to a notch. I was fine listening Netron + DFR, not so with V30.

The last app I tried was the stock LG player, surprisingly it was the best of the bunch! I got a full sound, more dynamic, with better bass response and richness. What I think is that the LG player is fine tuned on the v30 dac taking into account the sound signature of the sabre. Other players are kinda generic (even if very advanced and full of options).

At this moment I am pretty sure I'll listen to the stock LG music app.

Cheers.

Interesting. I don't think I've ever compared the LG app with UAPP. I'll have to give it a go.

I did try the bundled B&O IEMs today for the first time since I got the phone a year or so ago. I put them straight back in the box after about 5 seconds.

Aug 25, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #5,424 of 6,140
Aug 25, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #5,425 of 6,140
Has anyone tried an amp like FiiO A3 Amplifier to see what impedance setting is triggered?

Didn't know this amp, but afaik, the aux mode will be triggered by nearly 99.99%. :)
Data sheet says >5k input impedance.

Aug 25, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #5,426 of 6,140
So I've posted about this problem before. I am having Something weird happened with my lg v30+ and though I figured it out but apparently NOT.

So it's a hardware or software problem or even a phone defect, God I hope not!?

So I'm asking for some opinions on it.

Something odd happens I'm playing my music in HIM mode and I scrolling around head-fi and other things on my v30 and all of a sudden the volume boost about 30% this happens all the time? Almost like turning off the quad DAC off then turning back on.

The funny thing is I like the V boost.

What is it and how do I replicate it at my will??

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019 at 1:21 AM Post #5,428 of 6,140
So I've posted about this problem before. I am having Something weird happened with my lg v30+ and though I figured it out but apparently NOT.

So it's a hardware or software problem or even a phone defect, God I hope not!?

So I'm asking for some opinions on it.

Something odd happens I'm playing my music in HIM mode and I scrolling around head-fi and other things on my v30 and all of a sudden the volume boost about 30% this happens all the time? Almost like turning off the quad DAC off then turning back on.

The funny thing is I like the V boost.

What is it and how do I replicate it at my will??

Sounds like a software issue.
Which player and browser do you use?

Is this still happen with another combo?
Is this happened only in HIM?

Aug 26, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #5,429 of 6,140
Sounds like a software issue.
Which player and browser do you use?

Is this still happen with another combo?
Is this happened only in HIM?
I will spend the day trying different iems combos.

I will let you know how it goes later today or tomorrow.

But the iems that presents the problem are my Audiosense T800. These only work with the lg v30 in HIM mode.

Aug 26, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #5,430 of 6,140
But the iems that presents the problem are my Audiosense T800. These only work with the lg v30 in HIM mode.

Nice tools.
Never tried a ba fitted one.
There's so amazing and fantastic audio stuff out there.
Another pair of earphones on my list, which keeps rising and rising. :see_no_evil:

Looking forward to your results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back