LG V30
Aug 27, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #5,431 of 6,140
Ok here's what I've discovered regarding the volume issue.

It's not a hardware or phone defect.

What I think it is, a software issue when using the sound cloud app.
Here's my test.
1. Get phone in HIM mode
2. Start playing music from sound cloud, observing the the volume.
3. Shut down sound cloud
4. Open Tidal, play music
5. Shut down tidal
6. Reopened sound cloud play and song.
7. Note volume is indeed louder in sound cloud now.

To test this once music is working correctly in sound cloud, turn off quad DAC and turn back on. If you hear a big difference then it's working as it should.

It would appear that the phone dac amp doesn't get recognize at all in sound cloud app and is necessary to open tidal first.

I will further test this discovery.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #5,432 of 6,140
Very interesting.
Never ever had such a problem.
But i don't use soundcloud or tidal at the moment.

Aug 30, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #5,433 of 6,140
Yes it's definitely sound cloud.

I've duplicated the above process dozens of times.

But another thing that happens when I use voice to text it's like the quad DAC just turns off intermittently.

Odd stuff.
O well I'm just going to enjoy the music not that I figured it out.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #5,434 of 6,140
Concerning the 75 steps of volume: Is that actually 1db increase per step? Has anyone bothered to measure that somehow? I also wonder if all the 75 steps indeed actually affect the volume. For example, I could swear that the volume does not increase from volume step 1 to volume step 2. And there are a few other volume steps where I think that the volume barely or not at all increase/decrease. Quite laborious to analyze that alone with two ears.

Sep 1, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #5,435 of 6,140
It depends on the sensitivity of your headphones.
On my Era-1, there isn't an increase at every step, but on my PM-3 there is.
So the higher the sensitivity the better the audibility.
But it's not a 1dB increase per step, I think.

Sep 16, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #5,436 of 6,140
Ok I'm sure that one or more of you know the answer to this question.

Does the q7+ or not +, have the same dac and audio features as the g7?

And MQA on tidal available on q7+ or not +?

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #5,437 of 6,140
In the spec sheets, the part mentioned "32bit/ 192kHz" is missing.
This inticates that the q7 uses the internal dac of the soc.

Sep 16, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #5,439 of 6,140
Yes I do see that but on the MQA website it doesn't mention the q7. So I'm just going to go with the g7.

I am using the G7 ThinQ, and it is probably the best phone I owned, as it runs well on stock rom and has decent battery life as a phone, but so far, both the V30 & this G7 don't seem to last very long if your using the Quad Dac with it's stock amp.

I would suggest using an external amp with its "AUX" output level.
The sound is easily avove average and you would have to spend over $500 to get better sounding portable dac/amp.

So Getting an external amp like the Xduoo XD-05 is a low cost solution that punches high...
Don't waste your money on something more expensive like a
"iFi Micro iDSD Black Label" , or a "Chord MoJo (like what I did)...
Just get an external portable amp.

If you wanna get better, I would not bother with any dac/amp.
Nothing is going to surpass decisively, what you already have in this V30/G7 dac.
I would instead go for all in one solution of the the fiio M11 or ibasso DX220.

Anyways I am rambling, TMI..

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #5,440 of 6,140
I am using the G7 ThinQ, and it is probably the best phone I owned, as it runs well on stock rom and has decent battery life as a phone, but so far, both the V30 & this G7 don't seem to last very long if your using the Quad Dac with it's stock amp.

I would suggest using an external amp with its "AUX" output level.
The sound is easily avove average and you would have to spend over $500 to get better sounding portable dac/amp.

So Getting an external amp like the Xduoo XD-05 is a low cost solution that punches high...
Don't waste your money on something more expensive like a
"iFi Micro iDSD Black Label" , or a "Chord MoJo (like what I did)...
Just get an external portable amp.

If you wanna get better, I would not bother with any dac/amp.
Nothing is going to surpass decisively, what you already have in this V30/G7 dac.
I would instead go for all in one solution of the the fiio M11 or ibasso DX220.

Anyways I am rambling, TMI..
Good advice but I'm not getting the m11 but I do have the Fiio q5.

The hole purpose of the V 30 or the G7 is to "not have to carry or stack a dac amp"

So I'll stick with the lg's and if need be the q5 as an addition.

Sep 17, 2019 at 3:42 AM Post #5,441 of 6,140
At the end, the term will be "all-in-one".
There's nothing to compete in this with the Lg phones out there, imo.
But it's all about your own view when it comes to "all-in-one".

At least, it is the headphone you're using for mobile listening, which you have to deal with. :wink:

For me, the phone itself is the best of both worlds even to drive such high-resistance monsters like the T1 to a moderate listening level.
And this is a hugh afford, couz T1 is measured to nearly 1400ohms at around 125Hz.

All in all, I'm happy to have the V30. :beerchug:

Sep 17, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #5,442 of 6,140
At the end, the term will be "all-in-one".
There's nothing to compete in this with the Lg phones out there, imo.
But it's all about your own view when it comes to "all-in-one".

At least, it is the headphone you're using for mobile listening, which you have to deal with. :wink:

For me, the phone itself is the best of both worlds even to drive such high-resistance monsters like the T1 to a moderate listening level.
And this is a hugh afford, couz T1 is measured to nearly 1400ohms at around 125Hz.

All in all, I'm happy to have the V30. :beerchug:
I agree

Sep 17, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #5,443 of 6,140
I've had this phone for a while now, but it still manages to surprise me. It drives the Tin Hifi P1 (widely acclaimed that an amp was mandatory) just fine. I bought the Topping DX3 pretty much just for the P1, but it turns out that it has a hard time with it in low gain mode. It seems to me that the V30 is potentially equal or more powerful than the DX3, a desktop DAC + amp, which is highly surprising.

Sep 24, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #5,444 of 6,140
Hi Guy's
Without reading the thread I wondered if using Streaming apps like Qobuz or Tidal Offline bypasses the Andriod SRC on this phone. I have my chord Hugo 2 and wanted to connect use it with the LG.

Sep 24, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #5,445 of 6,140
I've had this phone for a while now, but it still manages to surprise me. It drives the Tin Hifi P1 (widely acclaimed that an amp was mandatory) just fine. I bought the Topping DX3 pretty much just for the P1, but it turns out that it has a hard time with it in low gain mode. It seems to me that the V30 is potentially equal or more powerful than the DX3, a desktop DAC + amp, which is highly surprising.

I doesn't surprise me that much.
I figured out, that the V30 in him is equal to my used Audio-Gd R28 when it comes to volume level with the Quad Era-1.

But, and that's a big one, the clearity and dynamic of the R28 is superior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back