LG V30
Sep 13, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #3,991 of 6,140
Well I'm now DAP/DAC free. Since getting my V30+ I've not used anything else and just sold on my last DAC/AMP (Dragonfly Red).

The V30+ drives both my SE846's & HD660S great.

I have a great little Sony BT remote for track/volume control and the V30+ has far more usable volume steps than any other phone.

The V30+ via LDAC to EarStudio ES100 BT DAC/AMP also sounds amazing.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #3,992 of 6,140
Well I'm now DAP/DAC free. Since getting my V30+ I've not used anything else and just sold on my last DAC/AMP (Dragonfly Red).

The V30+ drives both my SE846's & HD660S great.

I have a great little Sony BT remote for track/volume control and the V30+ has far more usable volume steps than any other phone.

The V30+ via LDAC to EarStudio ES100 BT DAC/AMP also sounds amazing.
Nice. I don't know what I was thinking when I sold my V30+...

Sep 13, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #3,993 of 6,140
Nice. I don't know what I was thinking when I sold my V30+...

That's the problem; you weren't
a_tongue.gif

Sep 13, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #3,994 of 6,140
Sep 13, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #3,996 of 6,140
I do not have experience with newer LG phones, but the one I had ended up with boot loop. So I am kinda dreading the LG phones. As of now using a xiaomi mi a1. I also own a 7th gen ipod nano, and I like the output of the nano better. The sound output of mi a1 just doesn't feel right, no matter how much I tweek the eq. Aside from audio, everything else is quite good and I do question about the necessity of flagship, but small thing like audio bugs me. Also my ipod has gotten really old and is about to give up. Now there's no more torrent, so I have to rely on streaming services. I don't want to go the full portable audio player route, they are too expensive and the dated android with low end soc just is unbearable. So I am stuck with smartphone. How is LG now? Do I have to tweek, or the output is great from the get go. I use apple music, as Spotify is not available yet, and don't know if tidal will ever come. I generally use iems but occasionally my hd598. Hd598 sounds quite good with the ipod, though I have to raise the volume quite high. The mi a1 drives the hd598 effortlessly, but the sound is just not like that, and it bothers me greatly. Will you recommend me a phone with similar sound quality as the nano, or better. Should I go the LG route, vivo route or Apple route?

Sep 13, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #3,997 of 6,140
I do not have experience with newer LG phones, but the one I had ended up with boot loop. So I am kinda dreading the LG phones. As of now using a xiaomi mi a1. I also own a 7th gen ipod nano, and I like the output of the nano better. The sound output of mi a1 just doesn't feel right, no matter how much I tweek the eq. Aside from audio, everything else is quite good and I do question about the necessity of flagship, but small thing like audio bugs me. Also my ipod has gotten really old and is about to give up. Now there's no more torrent, so I have to rely on streaming services. I don't want to go the full portable audio player route, they are too expensive and the dated android with low end soc just is unbearable. So I am stuck with smartphone. How is LG now? Do I have to tweek, or the output is great from the get go. I use apple music, as Spotify is not available yet, and don't know if tidal will ever come. I generally use iems but occasionally my hd598. Hd598 sounds quite good with the ipod, though I have to raise the volume quite high. The mi a1 drives the hd598 effortlessly, but the sound is just not like that, and it bothers me greatly. Will you recommend me a phone with similar sound quality as the nano, or better. Should I go the LG route, vivo route or Apple route?
I went from ibasso dx200 dap that is superior in sonic performance but inferior about implementation of firmware, noises, bugs, etc. I drive my iem with great satisfaction and i have with usbaudioplayerpro a streaming source bitperfect

Sep 13, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #3,998 of 6,140
I believe LG fixed the boot loop issue. I've owned the V20, G7, and V30+ and have not had any issues.

Sep 13, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #4,002 of 6,140
Is the V30 really a portable amp/DAC killer? I've been trying to get a better portable audio setup going.

I would say yes. When the V20 came out a year and a half ago, I compared it to my $299 Oppo HA-2 amp/DAC, and I COULD NOT tell a difference with it. Everything sounded amazing on both. So I sold my HA-2 and went from there. I've heard some ppl on here even say it's (the V30 now, which I think has the same DAC?) better than the $600 Chord Mojo. Not sure there, but maybe? Either way, I no longer use a third party device anymore b/c I simply don't need it. On top of having the fantastic Quad DAC setup, the V30 also comes with 3 fantastic amp settings (normal device, aux/external device detected, and high impedance mode ((HIM))), which can power up to 600 ohm headphones (HIM).

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #4,003 of 6,140

If you use good headphones get an LG. If you use cheap IEMs or Bluetooth get something else, if you have more money than sense, get an iPhone.

Sep 14, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #4,005 of 6,140
The problem for me is I've been trapped by the "Balanced is better" argument and obviously the V30 doesn't have a balanced output.

This is the main reason why I don't use the V30 for more listening, a lot of my headphones and IEM's have balanced termination and I don't like using an adapter all the time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back