LG V30
Sep 10, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #3,961 of 6,140
Was looking to see if I could upgrade my current third party cable to a balanced cable for my DT 1770. Didn't think there was a balanced cable with a Mini-XLR end terminating into the headphones, but then I saw this. What do you guys think? Will it work on my DT 1770 AND LG V30? Is my V30 capable of balanced with this cable?? Please let me know.

Sep 10, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #3,962 of 6,140
Was looking to see if I could upgrade my current third party cable to a balanced cable for my DT 1770. Didn't think there was a balanced cable with a Mini-XLR end terminating into the headphones, but then I saw this. What do you guys think? Will it work on my DT 1770 AND LG V30? Is my V30 capable of balanced with this cable?? Please let me know.
I'm puzzled by that listing. If you've only got three pins on the XLR and only three connection points on a TRS plug, I don't see how this can be either a balanced cable or a balanced-to-single-ended adapter. (BTW, the V30 doesn't have an option for balanced output.)

P.S. My guess is you're supposed to buy two of them to get balanced. Some audio devices accept two TRS/XLR connections, one for each (left and right) channels. That's not what you want to connect to your V30 though!

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #3,963 of 6,140
I'm puzzled by that listing. If you've only got three pins on the XLR and only three connection points on a TRS plug, I don't see how this can be either a balanced cable or a balanced-to-single-ended adapter. (BTW, the V30 doesn't have an option for balanced output.)

P.S. My guess is you're supposed to buy two of them to get balanced. Some audio devices accept two TRS/XLR connections, one for each (left and right) channels. That's not what you want to connect to your V30 though!

Hey csg,

Aww the V30 doesn't have a balanced option? Damn! I was afraid you were gonna say that. RATS!! lol

I C. lol Yeah my DT 1770 only has ONE Mini-XLR connector, so it sounds like even if I were to buy a device with a balanced option I'd still need different headphones. F that! I love my DT 1770 Pro to DEATHHH!! lol Oh well.

Thanks csg!

Sep 10, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #3,965 of 6,140
What is your opinions on What Hi-Fi?'s sound/audio section reviews of the Apple iPhone X vs. the LG V30's?

I find it a LITTLE hard to believe that the V30's Quad DAC (including setup) could be outdone by whatever (single?) DAC (including setup) the iPhone X uses. But What Hi-Fi? is like my go-to reviewer, so I'm not sure what to think.

You meant $8 Apple DAC dongle beat quadDAC of V30?

Sep 10, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #3,967 of 6,140
I gave a brief read of the 2 linked reviews, and there's very little way in the way of tangible information, let alone quantifiable data, other than the equivalent of "we liked it better". Speaking about the V30:

It’s easily the best-sounding Android phone this year, even if it can't quite match the rhythmic cohesion of Apple’s iPhone X.

The overall rhythm can feel a little imprecise, in a way we don't experience with the iPhone X

What the hell does that even mean???

What audio samples, at what settings, with which headphones? Same files on both? Same headphones used with both?

Pseudo-journalism at its worst. "What-fi", how about "What the fu..."?

Personally, I don't do Apple products, so it's a nonissue for me.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #3,968 of 6,140
I gave a brief read of the 2 linked reviews, and there's very little way in the way of tangible information, let alone quantifiable data, other than the equivalent of "we liked it better". Speaking about the V30:

What the hell does that even mean???

What audio samples, at what settings, with which headphones? Same files on both? Same headphones used with both?

Pseudo-journalism at its worst. "What-fi", how about "What the fu..."?

Personally, I don't do Apple products, so it's a nonissue for me.

Usually I agree completely with their reviews, so this threw me for a loop because like I remember reading a review where someone tried the AudioQuest DragonFly Black (DFB) on their iPhone a few years ago and noticing an improvement in sound quality. A couple years ago I got the DFB for my friend's b'day who also has an iPhone, and he too noticed a difference. So you're tellin' me the DFB is better than the iPhone but the iPhone is somehow better than the LG V30's Quad DAC? Yeah I have to agree, it doesn't add up.

Yeah it's very vague and not too detailed.

Now, Apple MAY have improved it's DAC from 3 years ago with the iPhone X. But still, I find it hard to believe it sounds better than the V30's.

Has anyone ever compared both using the SAME overall settings, headphones, etc??

Sep 10, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #3,969 of 6,140
What is your opinions on What Hi-Fi?'s sound/audio section reviews of the Apple iPhone X vs. the LG V30's?

I find it a LITTLE hard to believe that the V30's Quad DAC (including setup) could be outdone by whatever (single?) DAC (including setup) the iPhone X uses. But What Hi-Fi? is like my go-to reviewer, so I'm not sure what to think.

Its utter tosh like most 5 minute 'reviews' from What HiFi nowadays.

Sep 11, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #3,972 of 6,140
"...even if it (V30) can't quite match the rhythmic cohesion of Apple’s iPhone X. The overall rhythm can feel a little imprecise, in a way we don't experience with the iPhone X - but by Android standards it’s still very impressive."

What the hell does 'rhythmic cohesion' mean?

Sep 11, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #3,973 of 6,140
"...even if it (V30) can't quite match the rhythmic cohesion of Apple’s iPhone X. The overall rhythm can feel a little imprecise, in a way we don't experience with the iPhone X - but by Android standards it’s still very impressive."

Something akin to this..?

"...even if it (high-end CD player) can't quite match the background noise and rumble of a traditional vinyl setup. The overall sound can feel a little clean, in a way we don't experience with vinyl - but by digital standards it’s still very impressive."

Or probably just another iTard who can't handle the fact you pay more for less if you buy Apple products.

Sep 11, 2018 at 2:56 AM Post #3,975 of 6,140

Yeah I have no clue. I was hoping someone hear could decipher that, but guess not. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back