LG V30
Mar 28, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #2,913 of 6,140
I have the hifiman re 2000 sound really good, but fitment is an issue.
The V30 can drive the Shure's?

What volume are you able to get it to until it becomes too loud? I realize this is subjective.

How does your combo sound running Tidal Masters directly through the app?
Are you content with it?

Mar 28, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #2,914 of 6,140
I have the hifiman re 2000 sound really good, but fitment is an issue.
1) The V30 can drive the Shure's?

2) What volume are you able to get it to until it becomes too loud? I realize this is subjective.

3) How does your combo sound running Tidal Masters directly through the app?
Are you content with it?

1 & 2) Oh very very easily. When using the native app I rarely get above 30 for newer recordings, for older ones I may need to bump up some, but never over 40, plenty of room to make your ears bleed. With UAPP I have found that I am going a bit louder but again never over 40.

3) I do not use any streaming services, so cannot comment on Tidal performance in any way.

I do also find the SE846 to fit very well (fully realizing this is an individual issues) and provide outstanding isolation. I look at other IEMs frequently and wonder if they are better, but to me, I just can't imagine it. Focus camera has them currently for 699, which is a great price.

Mar 28, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #2,916 of 6,140
New question. I'm going to set up a mid-fi rig for my HD650s. I've got an amp. I was hoping to use the V30 as a source realizing it will work fine but I'll be double amping even though the V30 has an AUX output. Aux isn't a line out signal and is amped. That's been bugging me.

So, new question is I'd like to use the V30 as a primary source. Is there any drawback in sound quality outputting USB to an external DAC the to my amp using the V30? Is there a reason to not use the V30 as a source vs other dedicated sources out there?

I would like to have one source for all my music. Portable and hooking up to my home rig. And I'd love if that could be the V30, but I can be flexible.

Mar 28, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #2,917 of 6,140
Also make sure you choose 'bitperfect' playback from the HiRes Audio menu. Once both of those are selected and you choose a MQA selection (like Southern Avenue), you should instantly see MQA in the status line--no reboot needed for me. Very nice Tidal Interface,,,

Thanks. I've managed to apply both these settings and seeing the MQA in the status now, so that was a success. But now direct and file are still not matching up, is there still upsampling happening here or is this normal?
Screenshot_2018-03-29-07-19-47.png

Mar 28, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #2,918 of 6,140
The Internal Qualcomm SoC doesn't have the ability to natively decode DSD. To activate the dedicated DAC, the headphone jack must have something such as a headphone or line out cable to function. The dedicated DAC is designed to be with the 3.5mm headphone out. It serves no other purpose if not connected. Not even Bluetooth.
Just for your own education... the Qualcomm DAC DOES have the ability to decode DSD, but no OEM makes use of it.

Mar 28, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #2,920 of 6,140
iso.jpg
The latest version of UAPP will play DSD .iso files correctly!

Yep...it sure does. Including the very tricky and CPU-intensive DST ISO ones (2-ch portion of M-Ch files). Happy camper here!

Take that Fiio! (blatantly refuse to support and got tired of asking for each model):
http://fiio.net:8000/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=42108

If you have the right source device you can make sure own bit-perfect file from the original SACD. No need for an ancient PS3 anymore...as most of you probably know by now.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #2,921 of 6,140
Strange as Neutron gave me nothing but problems, and UAPP works perfectly! So strange! But I don't need the high impedance mode activated, so that it one less issue (I use SE846).

Neutron is not bad but what I hate about it is:

Volume stepping is stock android when in player, it's amazing that the other player apps don't have this issue (i.e. Player Pro, UAPP).
I got use to the UI, but it's clunky

My biggest issue with UAPP is the volume, What is wrong with it? I have no idea.

Mar 29, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #2,922 of 6,140
So with the V30(+), can we say that there's no need for a high end DAP? I'm asking because I've been eyeing up some DAP's on this forum but then I forget I own a V30+. Anyone agree?

Mar 29, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #2,923 of 6,140
New question. I'm going to set up a mid-fi rig for my HD650s. I've got an amp. I was hoping to use the V30 as a source realizing it will work fine but I'll be double amping even though the V30 has an AUX output. Aux isn't a line out signal and is amped. That's been bugging me.

So, new question is I'd like to use the V30 as a primary source. Is there any drawback in sound quality outputting USB to an external DAC the to my amp using the V30? Is there a reason to not use the V30 as a source vs other dedicated sources out there?

I would like to have one source for all my music. Portable and hooking up to my home rig. And I'd love if that could be the V30, but I can be flexible.

It's best to use your V30 straight to an AMP. The V30 IS your DAC. Just connect it via 3.5mm to RCA. I've done this setup at home. V30+ -> Schiit Asgard 2, works perfectly.

Mar 29, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #2,925 of 6,140
Neutron is not bad but what I hate about it is:

Volume stepping is stock android when in player, it's amazing that the other player apps don't have this issue (i.e. Player Pro, UAPP).
I got use to the UI, but it's clunky

My biggest issue with UAPP is the volume, What is wrong with it? I have no idea.

No problems with UAPP volume. Neutron would stop after 2-3 songs. Always.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back