LG V30
Mar 29, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #2,926 of 6,140
So with the V30(+), can we say that there's no need for a high end DAP? I'm asking because I've been eyeing up some DAP's on this forum but then I forget I own a V30+. Anyone agree?
)

I would say it depends on your headphones. If you have planars...keep your DAP, but anything else, the V30 alone should suffice. I still can't believe the volume difference between my planars (especially HE-4xx) and my Pandora Hope Vi. VI is like twice as loud...

Biggest annoyance in the Neutron app was using ITS volume vs the phone volume when playing a song--not as finely granulated so i always opt for the V30.

Mar 29, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #2,927 of 6,140
No problems with UAPP volume. Neutron would stop after 2-3 songs. Always.

Volume is fine with low impedance, high impedance different story.

Did you notice with UAPP, you can't change your Digital Filters at all?

Mar 30, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #2,930 of 6,140
Hey all, I've been a long time reader now posting for the first time.

I wanted to see if anyone's experiencing what I am. I've got a set of HD6xx's straight to the V30, testing in both UAPP and Neutron.

My experience is I get considerably lower volume when in Hi-res direct mode on both UAPP and Neutron. So if I use these apps in non Hi-res modes or I use the stock LG app, I get much higher volumes, the equivalent of 10-15 steps. And yes I've double checked that both the software volume sliders and overall phone volume are at max. To note this is the Hi-res settings in the apps, the phone itself is still in High Impedance Mode.

Now the headphones do still get more or less sufficiently loud, but I have to run them all the time at 70-75 volume. And if some tracks have lower volume levels then I'm left wanting a bit more power.

So my question is if anyone also experiences having the Hi-res drive settings on reduces the volume levels for whatever reason, or could it be some other incorrect settings I'm using? I've also tried other headphones in normal mode and the same thing happens.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 5:30 AM Post #2,931 of 6,140
So with the V30(+), can we say that there's no need for a high end DAP? I'm asking because I've been eyeing up some DAP's on this forum but then I forget I own a V30+. Anyone agree?

Depends on your preference. I own V30+ now, but i find that its sounds profile way too flat for me. I use my ZX300 most of the time, with V30+ acting as backup once in a while when i can't carry too many devices.

But if your DAP is of same sabre type, then you won't need another sabre DAP or DAP with same sounds characteristic

Mar 30, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #2,932 of 6,140
Recently bought weston w30. For normal listening, the volume is at max with tidal and uapp.anyone sais if westone are hard to drive?

Mar 30, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #2,933 of 6,140
my 2 planars ( HEX V2 and isine 10 ) sound great with the V30 in high impediance mode, i sold my fiio x7 and fiio x5 3rd gen and only use the V30. To me the sound between all 3 are fairly close - i chose the V30 as it has a bigger higher resolution screen and battery battery life then the 2 fiio's

Apr 2, 2018 at 4:06 AM Post #2,934 of 6,140
Just joined Massdrop's Optoma NuForce BE Free8 for $99.99.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/nuforce-be-free8-iems?utm_source=linkshare&referer=9VEGJA

Anyone have any experience them or any other True Wireless IEMs with the LG V30?
Since the NuForce BE Free8 has APT-X ability, I was wondering how the audio sounds?

I much prefer going with a wired set up via Quad Hifi DAC/Amp, but this is a good alternative when wireless is needed.

Apr 3, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #2,935 of 6,140
As a proud owner of an LGV30 and a Dragonfly Red, I thought I would give my 2 cents for people asking which is better.

My testing headphones are a Mr Speakers Aeon Closed back, as well as my Earsonic EM-9 IEMs (which I just got today :p). The Mr Speakers unit is a planar magnetic headphone with a neutral sound signature. The Earsonics unit is a TOTL BA unit. I am using UUAP for both the Dragonfly Red (when running it through my LGV30), as well as to get the settings right for the LGV30 when not using the Dragonfly Red. I am playing 320kbs files through the Google Play part of the app. Listening mostly to jazz ( bebop, fusion, modern bop, postmodern) as well as some rock, folk music, RnB, heavy metal, hip hop, and some alternatvie / indie / pop. I also watch movies and tv with the Red on my laptop because I find it enhances the experience.

In my opinion, the Dragonfly Red is much warmer, clearer, and I can hear details better than on the LGV30. Honestly its not even a real comparison, there is nothing I like about the LGV30 that I miss when I'm using the Dragonfly Red. Everything simply sounds way better on the Red. The most immediate difference is that the Red is much much warmer. If I were to use an analogy, I feel like when I bought my first tube amp as a guitarist and I had been playing with cheap solid state amps before. My music sounds sparkly and warm sounding on the Red, while the LGV30 (which does sound good, don't get me wrong) sounds flat by comparison.

Obviously the LGV30 is slightly more portable, since you don't have to deal with the dongle. I hear a very big improvement in the LGV30 over my previous Androids and iPhones and I'm glad to have it when I'm at the gym and am not using the Red.

So to conclude if you are considering both and want the best audio, the Red is just a much much better experience in my opinion. I've had both for hundreds of hours of listening time, but it takes about 10 seconds to hear the difference its so drastic. Of course YMMV.

I should also note I bought the LGV30 several weeks after the Red, because I needed a new phone, so this isn't someone who just got the red and is super excited about it, I've broken it in and tested both quite a bit. But again, I think that if you compare the two side by side it would be hard to argue that the LGV30 is better as the difference is very drastic.

:L3000:

Apr 3, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #2,936 of 6,140
As a proud owner of an LGV30 and a Dragonfly Red, I thought I would give my 2 cents for people asking which is better.

My testing headphones are a Mr Speakers Aeon Closed back, as well as my Earsonic EM-9 IEMs (which I just got today :p). The Mr Speakers unit is a planar magnetic headphone with a neutral sound signature. The Earsonics unit is a TOTL BA unit. I am using UUAP for both the Dragonfly Red (when running it through my LGV30), as well as to get the settings right for the LGV30 when not using the Dragonfly Red. I am playing 320kbs files through the Google Play part of the app. Listening mostly to jazz ( bebop, fusion, modern bop, postmodern) as well as some rock, folk music, RnB, heavy metal, hip hop, and some alternatvie / indie / pop. I also watch movies and tv with the Red on my laptop because I find it enhances the experience.

In my opinion, the Dragonfly Red is much warmer, clearer, and I can hear details better than on the LGV30. Honestly its not even a real comparison, there is nothing I like about the LGV30 that I miss when I'm using the Dragonfly Red. Everything simply sounds way better on the Red. The most immediate difference is that the Red is much much warmer. If I were to use an analogy, I feel like when I bought my first tube amp as a guitarist and I had been playing with cheap solid state amps before. My music sounds sparkly and warm sounding on the Red, while the LGV30 (which does sound good, don't get me wrong) sounds flat by comparison.

Obviously the LGV30 is slightly more portable, since you don't have to deal with the dongle. I hear a very big improvement in the LGV30 over my previous Androids and iPhones and I'm glad to have it when I'm at the gym and am not using the Red.

So to conclude if you are considering both and want the best audio, the Red is just a much much better experience in my opinion. I've had both for hundreds of hours of listening time, but it takes about 10 seconds to hear the difference its so drastic. Of course YMMV.

I should also note I bought the LGV30 several weeks after the Red, because I needed a new phone, so this isn't someone who just got the red and is super excited about it, I've broken it in and tested both quite a bit. But again, I think that if you compare the two side by side it would be hard to argue that the LGV30 is better as the difference is very drastic.

:L3000:
Great impressions - thanks for sharing! I also found a (in my case, slight) preference for the sound of the DFR.

Anybody here made a direct A/B with the DFR (or V30) and the Cozoy REI?

Apr 3, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #2,937 of 6,140
Although I don't have the V30, opting for the V20 instead due to significant price difference, I do have DFR & DFB. I agree they do provide a better overall audio experience however it does come at a price: battery drain. DFR cause faster battery drain than DFB and can actually get warm to the touch. I have to say the V20 by itself sounds pretty darn good for a phone and often I don't bother adding an external amp/dac.

Apr 3, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #2,938 of 6,140
Just joined Massdrop's Optoma NuForce BE Free8 for $99.99.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/nuforce-be-free8-iems?utm_source=linkshare&referer=9VEGJA

Anyone have any experience them or any other True Wireless IEMs with the LG V30?
Since the NuForce BE Free8 has APT-X ability, I was wondering how the audio sounds?

I much prefer going with a wired set up via Quad Hifi DAC/Amp, but this is a good alternative when wireless is needed.

This will be long winded, but....I own the Jabra Elite 65T now, which I bought to replace the Sony WF-1000X, and I've briefly tested many other brands, (jaybird, B&O, Bose) as well. Neither the Jabra or Sony are Apt-X, only SBC and AAC, so idk how much of a difference that would make. Also I bought them specifically for 2 things, my work commute in which I only listen to podcasts/news, and working out in which I don't pay attention to music clarity anyway. So I didn't really care at all about the audio quality when choosing mine.

That said, IMO the biggest issue with true wireless is connection stability. And for some odd reason 99% of written or youtube reviews on anything you find completely ignores testing the connection with the phone in your pocket, which is why I had to do all of my own testing to pick one. All the reviews you'll see just test the connection for range or with the phone in a clear line of sight, which doesn't make any sense to me for the purpose of this technology. Anyway.....for the most part they all suck because Bluetooth does not transmit well between your body when you have your phone in your pocket. The issue is when you turn your head either to the right or left, depending on which earbud is the master/slave, the audio is going to cut off because your body blocks the transmission. And believe me this is going to happen all the time.

For your use I think it would be an even bigger problem because of APT-X. I only used SBC and AAC, so at the much higher data rates that are needed to transmit APT-X I would assume the connection stability would only get worse.

The main reason I ended up with the Jabra 65T now, is they're the only current true wireless with BT5. Every other earbud is on BT4.X. So there's a much better connection, and I very very rarely get a split second cut off when there's a lot of interference around me. The second reason was battery life, which on the Jabra's is 5+ hrs.

I have a very specific use for true wireless which suits me well, plus I'm extraordinarily OCD about cable handling, so I love my Jabra's, and for the reasons I mentioned I would not recommend any other current sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back