LG V30
Jan 3, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #2,041 of 6,140
Searched the thread & WWW but couldn't find anything relevant (beyond this but it's more about HD: https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-v30/help/aptx-aptx-hd-indication-v30-t3718127).

Wondering if anyone knows how to invoke aptx Low Latency with the V30. I'm not sure my understanding is correct but based on correspondence with the Bluewave Get team, aptx HD is supposed to be backwards compatible with both LL and regular aptx. It will simply invoke the codec based on what's being played by the device:
- if music then aptx HD (if supported, else aptx regular)
- if watching video then aptx LL

However, I've paired Mixcder's HD601 which has aptx LL but I noticed that the LED remains purple indicating it's only connecting via standard aptx. Watching some movies on NF confirms that there is an ever so subtle delay as is expected even with standard aptx but nearly indiscernible with LL.

Can anyone weigh in on this?

Thx!,
Tim

BUMP - lots of activity so my post is already few pages back. Just checking to see if anyone has any insights into this.

TIA!

Jan 3, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #2,045 of 6,140
I read that the upsampling of 16/44.1 to 16/48 is because of the Quad DAC. In other words, all of its four "pipelines" are active only with 48 kHz samplerates and beyond. But then, if that were true, 24/44.1 content apparently would not make full use of the Quad DAC's all four "pipelines".

Just trying to find out why the upsampling. From this thread I also vaguely remember reading it is an Android Nougat quirk and should be rectified with Oreo?

Just quite confused right now, lol. Happy to read though that BubbleUPnP plays high-res content properly via the headphone out.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #2,047 of 6,140
Capture+_2018-01-03-19-39-56.png
The question of sample rates and which music app to use comes up so often on this thread (and each time annoys at least half of this thread's subscribers) that I thought it would be worthwhile creating a separate thread to refer these people to:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/music-apps-tips-and-tricks-for-the-lg-v30.868978/

Beautifully done summary--contains all the settings you need to setup the tricky Neutron. I did have a question about that and i don't want to clutter that thread--but you can actually get quite a bit more oomph out of it if you crank the Neutron preamp gain section (and even more with the EQ). But what is that actually doing--it is acting as a loudness? it cant be a clean enhancement upping that preamp gain...

I do have a Kamerton usage update to augment the apps info that i will post there soon...

Jan 3, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #2,048 of 6,140

Beautifully done summary--contains all the settings you need to setup the tricky Neutron. I did have a question about that and i don't want to clutter that thread--but you can actually get quite a bit more oomph out of it if you crank the Neutron preamp gain section (and even more with the EQ). But what is that actually doing--it is acting as a loudness? it cant be a clean enhancement upping that preamp gain...

I do have a Kamerton usage update to augment the apps info that i will post there soon...

Thanks buddy :)

I hear distortion as soon as I touch Neutron's preamp gain. I don't think this is a substitute for those adapters to get into aux or high-impedance mode.

Looking forward to your tips on Kamerton...

Jan 3, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #2,049 of 6,140
"Resigned" is the proper word isnt it? There really isnt anything that can read that format but use the Saber DAC properly if you want to have the all-in-one convenience of the V30. I assume you are using ISO2DSD...what settings do you use? Dual channel mode and Sony DSF output?
Try "Hiby Music", I used this app to play DSD format in DoP mode(It does also support PCM and Native). I'm not really sure if it uses the Quad-Dac correctly but the logo of LG Hi-Fi Quad DAC is on while I'm playing DSD music. Furthermore, Hiby Music can output DSD or 24bits music directly through USB-C without affecting by android(SRC).

Jan 3, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #2,050 of 6,140
Try "Hiby Music", I used this app to play DSD format in DoP mode(It does also support PCM and Native). I'm not really sure if it uses the Quad-Dac correctly but the logo of LG Hi-Fi Quad DAC is on while I'm playing DSD music. Furthermore, Hiby Music can output DSD or 24bits music directly through USB-C without affecting by android(SRC).

Yep...Hiby will play ISO, but i dont think it plays DSD natively and is subject to the dreaded Android SRC limitation--via headphones anyway. Now their recent R6 player that's getting glowing reviews is a completely different story--but of course that's getting away from phone/music in one.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018 at 3:43 AM Post #2,051 of 6,140

Thank you, I'm going to have a play to compare with USB Audio Player Pro.

As for pre-amp settings and sound quality, I'm guessing it will depend on the original file level as to the distortion created because my guess is that it's applying a software level gain increase to raise the amplitude of the wave form. If there is headroom in the waveform then it should be OK, but if not it will clip the tops and bottom of waves and create the distortion you're hearing. Just an educated guess based on my experiences with audio and video editing software and their manipulation of wave forms.

Jan 4, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #2,052 of 6,140
Was there ever any explanation from LG engineers for the rationale behind the - obviously deliberate - decision to upsample to 48 kHz?

Like I wrote above, according to one source, the higher sampling rate is supposedly needed to trigger all four "pipelines" of the Quad DAC, so I'm wondering if the DAC is working suboptimally if it's tricked into outputting 44.1 kHz via 24-bit padding. Still, I'd rather not see any resampling.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #2,053 of 6,140
Was there ever any explanation from LG engineers for the rationale behind the - obviously deliberate - decision to upsample to 48 kHz?

Like I wrote above, according to one source, the higher sampling rate is supposedly needed to trigger all four "pipelines" of the Quad DAC, so I'm wondering if the DAC is working suboptimally if it's tricked into outputting 44.1 kHz via 24-bit padding. Still, I'd rather not see any resampling.
Your source isn't correct on this. If you see the Hi-Fi Quad DAC icon lit up, you're using all four pipelines.

As for LG, I doubt they would deliberately engineer something like this. It's more likely an oversight. With most high-impedance headphones you'd likely not even notice the difference with the up-sampling - the V30 will still sound great.

Jan 4, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #2,054 of 6,140
Your source isn't correct on this. If you see the Hi-Fi Quad DAC icon lit up, you're using all four pipelines.

As for LG, I doubt they would deliberately engineer something like this. It's more likely an oversight. With most high-impedance headphones you'd likely not even notice the difference with the up-sampling - the V30 will still sound great.

OK, thanks for setting that straight!

Jan 4, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #2,055 of 6,140
The only time you'll notice anything is with insanely low impedance ones. The Campfire Andro seems to have issues.

For literally everything else, everyone losing their minds about sample rates is like a more asinine version of the lossless debate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back