LG V30
Jan 5, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #2,071 of 6,140
Is that right? I thought aux mode had lowered dynamics or summin'. If it's sonically identical then hell yeah I'll keep it.

Aux mode is only adjusting amp gain. If you're in aux mode at a lower volume and still don't hear a noise floor (I seriously doubt you will as the V30 has one of the blackest backgrounds ever - I can't hear a noise floor with my SE846 in any output mode), then you're in great shape :)

Jan 5, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #2,072 of 6,140
Aux mode is only adjusting amp gain. If you're in aux mode at a lower volume and still don't hear a noise floor (I seriously doubt you will as the V30 has one of the blackest backgrounds ever - I can't hear a noise floor with my SE846 in any output mode), then you're in great shape :)

Thanks dude! I seriously thought it would be a problem.

It doesn't ALWAYS go into aux mode, just... most of the time for some reason.

Jan 5, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #2,073 of 6,140
Guys you wont believe this. I found out that i could use the shure earphone adapter with a volume rocker in it. Its crazy just pluging it to v30 it sets to 50ohm right a way and you get the high impedance mode! That high impedance mode is actualy do improve sq by a lot. Its like hifi music vs mp3 kinda off. Sound stage is even more wide and you get rumble base with shure se846 when its there.
I have to say sq is way better on high impedance sorry but normal mode dont have the power of the high even if set volume up its not the same att all.

One thing to bare in mind if you set the volume rocker on the adapter to max you will hear floor noise. But all you gota do is set phone volume to 1 and then move the volume from adapter down by 1\4 till noise disapear and then just use the phone volume adjuster. Believe me it sound crazzy powerfull and fun. Sound is very clean and unaffected !

https://cosmomusic.ca/headphone-adapter-kit-shure-eaadpt-kit.html

That's what I use with my V10 and I entirely agree with what you say. I use my V10 mainly with the Noble Massdrops and Shure se535 reds. I don't really need the extra power but getting the phone in high impedance mode moves them up into a different league quality wise. I was initially sceptical about this and I've read the technical arguments suggesting it just increases output power, but hearing is believing. I know that listening at a higher volume will generally sound better but whatever mode I have the phone in I just set them to a comfortable volume so I'm pretty sure I'm not being fooled in this regard. The difference in quality really is very obvious.

Jan 5, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #2,074 of 6,140
That's what I use with my V10 and I entirely agree with what you say. I use my V10 mainly with the Noble Massdrops and Shure se535 reds. I don't really need the extra power but getting the phone in high impedance mode moves them up into a different league quality wise. I was initially sceptical about this and I've read the technical arguments suggesting it just increases output power, but hearing is believing. I know that listening at a higher volume will generally sound better but whatever mode I have the phone in I just set them to a comfortable volume so I'm pretty sure I'm not being fooled in this regard. The difference in quality really is very obvious.

No.

No no no no no no no no no.

NO.

This is pure placebo. It is not better. There is literally nothing happening inside that phone that is making it "better."

I'm losing my mind with this.

Jan 5, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #2,075 of 6,140
No.

No no no no no no no no no.

NO.

This is pure placebo. It is not better. There is literally nothing happening inside that phone that is making it "better."

I'm losing my mind with this.

...and your hearing?

I'd rather it didn't sound better this way. It's a bit of a pain having to faff around with an extra cable to be honest. And I have to say that before trying this I thought, like you, that it would probably be just a case of getting the phone to go louder and this wasn't an issue for me. The V10 drives my IEMs with room to spare. But after trying it I can't go back. It's like cleaning a dirty window - the level of clarity improves all round. I really don't think it's anything to do with listening at higher volume. I'm not really aware what setting I'm on - I just set it at a comfortable level - whatever mode the phone is in it could go much, much higher.

We need to be careful not to believe something because we can't understand the science. The improvement is real and significant, though a little inconvenient. At least that's my experience.

Jan 5, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #2,076 of 6,140
No. It's not "we can't understand the science," it's "there IS no science."

There's nothing there. Zero anything happening. All you're doing is tricking it into shooting more current but that's all. No extra clarity, no extra "cleanness," nothing. Zip. Zero. Nada.

I'm glad you like it, but you have to recognize it for what it is. Psychological. Because we keep getting people coming into this thread with shiny new v30s who are going to be snookered into buying pointless dongles and adapters to get some nonexistent quality increase.

Jan 5, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #2,077 of 6,140
...and your hearing?

I'd rather it didn't sound better this way. It's a bit of a pain having to faff around with an extra cable to be honest. And I have to say that before trying this I thought, like you, that it would probably be just a case of getting the phone to go louder and this wasn't an issue for me. The V10 drives my IEMs with room to spare. But after trying it I can't go back. It's like cleaning a dirty window - the level of clarity improves all round. I really don't think it's anything to do with listening at higher volume. I'm not really aware what setting I'm on - I just set it at a comfortable level - whatever mode the phone is in it could go much, much higher.

We need to be careful not to believe something because we can't understand the science. The improvement is real and significant, though a little inconvenient. At least that's my experience.

In an idea world - grab an SPL meter and two V30s. Set one on regular mode and one on high-impedance mode and then match both outputs within 0.1 of a dB, have somebody flick a switch back and forth while you're wearing a blindfold and see of you can really hear a difference. If you have music with some huge dynamic range, the higher-output gain might give you a bit of extra headroom and avoid some clipping, but given that you've said in both cases the V30 can go much, much louder than your normal listening volume, it seems like you already have plenty of headroom in both cases. So, I could be wrong, but my guess is it would be extremely difficult/impossible to distinguish the two in a blind test. Unfortunately, that won't help you now, because once we've convinced ourselves we've heard an improvement, we will hear that improvement on any subsequent sighted test, no matter what :wink:

Jan 5, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #2,078 of 6,140
In an idea world - grab an SPL meter and two V30s. Set one on regular mode and one on high-impedance mode and then match both outputs within 0.1 of a dB, have somebody flick a switch back and forth while you're wearing a blindfold and see of you can really hear a difference. If you have music with some huge dynamic range, the higher-output gain might give you a bit of extra headroom and avoid some clipping, but given that you've said in both cases the V30 can go much, much louder than your normal listening volume, it seems like you already have plenty of headroom in both cases. So, I could be wrong, but my guess is it would be extremely difficult/impossible to distinguish the two in a blind test. Unfortunately, that won't help you now, because once we've convinced ourselves we've heard an improvement, we will hear that improvement on any subsequent sighted test, no matter what :wink:

Reminds me of the people who insist on burn-in on a given headphone even after someone shows graphs of that exact product having zero change after X hours.

Jan 5, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #2,079 of 6,140
Reminds me of the people who insist on burn-in on a given headphone even after someone shows graphs of that exact product having zero change after X hours.

Let's not go down that rabbit hole.

Is it possible that the V30 uses relays to add / remove resistors in the signal path to change mode (high impedance, etc.)

I don't care about the modes and just let the V30 do whatever it thinks is best for a given headphone, but some kind of signal path change could explain what people say they are hearing.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #2,080 of 6,140
I'm seriously confused by external mode. Can anyone offer some technical insight into what it's doing? Because I swear the music sounds muffled when that's active.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #2,081 of 6,140
Well I simply baught a hd800s and gona pair it with the micro idsd black. And first try to use the v30s dac and then compare it the micro dsd bl dac. In all in all the amp is way better and powerfull on the micro dsd. Lg v30 is fabulous phone but it makes the hd800s way to bright and no bass boost features for wich I crave for :) also my volume is on 65 with high impedance mode on. Still laque's volume on some tracks.
Thats what i think. Very ssooon gona make the test.

Jan 5, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #2,082 of 6,140
How would you add an open capacitor in series and still have < 20 Ohm resistance? I would like to know what brand of headphone, with a less than 20 Ohm resistance, is triggering aux mode on the V30. If anybody actually has this happen to them, which headphone is it?

Sample rate converting to a higher sample rate = up-sampling, and a zero amplitude signal can be interpolated perfectly, irrespective of the two sample rates in question. Up-sampling (ok, sample-rate converting to a higher sample rate, if we must remember to write this out in full each time) is not going to create noise from silence. It should be fine, even if done poorly.

The risk with re-sampling is having a lower-frequency signal alias to a higher-frequency because of interpolation error (the worst-case scenario being an aliasing to the Nyquist limit).. For that to happen, you need a lower-frequency signal to begin with, which isn't what most people would consider a nose floor.

I'm not sure how it's helping by arguing semantics like this, but maybe you could post stuff like this on the other thread? There are people on this thread that are ready to swing from a rope if they read one more post about sample rates.

As people said below: > 600 ohm causes Aux mode, and a capacitor does that at DC. I was assuming the measurement is done at DC. It may not be. If it isn't, the headphones may have very reactive impedance to put it over 600, but unlikely. Maybe you didn't mean <20 ohm?

There shouldn't be zero amplitude when the player is running, there may be dither before the sample rate converter, should be dither after the sample rate converter at 0.5 bits above the bit depth (approx).

Jan 5, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #2,083 of 6,140
As people said below: > 600 ohm causes Aux mode, and a capacitor does that at DC. I was assuming the measurement is done at DC. It may not be. If it isn't, the headphones may have very reactive impedance to put it over 600, but unlikely. Maybe you didn't mean <20 ohm?

There shouldn't be zero amplitude when the player is running, there may be dither before the sample rate converter, should be dither after the sample rate converter at 0.5 bits above the bit depth (approx).

There's gotta be something else that causes aux mode. I cannot imagine many external speakers are THAT high impedance.

Jan 5, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #2,085 of 6,140
Aux mode i believe is for line level inputs like an amplifier. These are typically 10000 ohms.

Curious. Because, like I said, it seems to trigger with headphones on mine (I'm looking at a replacement). Wondering what could cause THAT to happen instead of it going into high impedance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back