LG V30
Oct 22, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #646 of 6,140
Oct 22, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #648 of 6,140
The DAC is on, just isn’t displaying the impedence ( External, High Impedence ....etc )

It’s the same on my TMobile V30.. seems to be a carrier thing..
My sprint variant doesn't show it.

Oct 22, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #649 of 6,140
Do anyone have any unique sounding tracks to test for the v30? So far I have:
Eden’s Bridge - Amazing Grace( Arr.)
Olafur Arnalds-Reclaim
Slumberjack-Ra

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #650 of 6,140
Olafur Arnalds-Reclaim
Slumberjack-Ra

Are these downloads or will they be streamed from an online playlist? What format are they, if I may ask?

Oct 22, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #651 of 6,140
Are these downloads or will they be streamed from an online playlist? What format are they, if I may ask?
streamed on tidal hifi

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #652 of 6,140
I agree that the audio quality probably isn't a HUGE upgrade (an assumption really, haven't actually heard it). With reports that the camera auto mode still kina bla, it's even harder to justify and I'm less motivated to do so. Still the filter intrigue me, the large screen in a more compact form factor is also appealing. Most of all the reported very god battery life is a BIG plus to me compared to the weak (to put it mildly) battery performance of my V20.

I can understand why someone would hold off upgrading or decide to get a far more affordable V20 than the V30, if audio performance is a main consideration. I'm going to wait a few months and see if and how prices drop before getting the V30.
True, my plan is to wait a few months and I'll get an unlocked v30 for $400 or less used but like new.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #653 of 6,140
The DAC is on, just isn’t displaying the impedence ( External, High Impedence ....etc )

It’s the same on my TMobile V30.. seems to be a carrier thing..
I would test but my brother has my HD650 so I can't. Did you verify it?

Oct 22, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #654 of 6,140
Fair enough - apart from the "3 times the price" argument. There's always a premium for any type of new equipment.
Who knows what state the battery would be in if you purchased a V20 now - even a "new" one. Or how long you'd continue to get useful software updates for it?

I respect your statements but the two above aren't real issues. Here's why:

1. Portable quick chargers and removable batteries make questionable batteries not a problem. Heck, I still have the exact same battery I started with and it's good to go.

2. With root, there's so many custom roms software updates isn't an issue at all. Heck, I can update my phone before the ota updates get out or before unrooted customers get them.

Just food for thought. Of course the same can be done with V30.

Oct 22, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #655 of 6,140
Exactly right. I've noticed this on a couple of threads, folks can praise a product repeatedly and no one says anything. Then an alternate view comes up and people try to discourage it. On an unrelated thread, I even saw someone say a new reader could be discouraged from buying the product by the negativity!

We're all hear to share our thoughts, pro and con, positive and negative. As long as the posts are respectful, let both sides have their say.
Thanks and I agree

Oct 22, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #656 of 6,140
Olafur Arnalds-Reclaim
Slumberjack-Ra
Bump

Oct 22, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #657 of 6,140

Depends what you mean by unique. Olafur's stable mate, Nils Frahm has some great music (I have all his albums on LP), particularly his albums 'Screws' and 'Felt' and 'Solo'. I'll likely play some Brian Eno/Pat Metheny from their album/Ep 'Electric Counterpoint' - the track Electric Counterpoint, Fast 3 may be of interest to you . Also, Brian Eno's 'Apollo' album is amazing and would be a fantastic test for the V30, to explore it's dynamic range.

For female voice, I'll be playing some Kathleen Battle early on, to test how it handles her magnificent soprano ('Bel Canto' album on DG, track -'I Capuleti Ed I Montecchi: Recitativo E Romanza (Atto I): 'Eccomi In Lieta Vesta...Oh! Quante Volte''). Sticking to a classical theme, Fabio Biondi and his consort have done wonders refreshing the works of Vivaldi (Virgin Records). For accommodating scale and dynamics again, the Rene Leibowitz/RPO readings of Beethoven are phenomenal - the 3rd (Eroica) Symphony's Scherzo is taken at blistering speed. This has been remaster by Chesky records to great effect.

I have a bunch of Jazz I'll be trying, in particular Wayne Shorter's work ('Speak No Evil', 'Night Dreamer'), and many, many others.

Hot Chip is also super fun. Check out their tune, 'Night and Day' on their album 'In Our Heads'. While we're at it, most things by the soon-to-break-up Wild Beasts would be interesting. Their album 'Present Tense' is an offering of perfectly formed modern pop.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #658 of 6,140
Has anyone made a comparison between the V30 and the G6+ (quad DAC) yet?
Are they maybe even using the exact same audio chipset?
I ask this because the G6+ is about half the price of the V30. So I'm thinking of just getting that instead, as I don't have a personal need for the extra advancements in other areas that the V30 has.

Oct 22, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #659 of 6,140
There comes a point when it's not "discussion" so much as someone who has decided they dislike a product and will not rest until they convince everyone else to stop liking it.

If you have decided you dislike it and you aren't going to change your mind, leave the thread. You are not benefiting anyone by staying solely to trash something that people are enjoying. This is even more true if you're speaking solely on why you decided against buying it (meaning you don't have one at all).

Discussion is awesome. No ****. We all agree there. But if your entire "discussion" is just repeating why you dislike something in a thread dedicated to it, your energy (and ours) would be far better spent if you just went into a thread of something you do like.
THIS.
And IMO: if you wanna just a dac take v20 while if you want a dac and a phone go for the v30

Oct 22, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #660 of 6,140
Just want to chime in with my honest opinion. V30 is the nicest android phone I've ever owned and I've owned almost every Samsung release in the past two years (T-mobile jump on demand). If anyone is considering it, I'd say go for it. The only concern I had was the reported screen issues, but mine is perfectly fine. The fact that it is able to drive my HD800S nicely is just icing on the cake. I traded in my note 8 for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back