LG V30
Oct 22, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #661 of 6,140
Just want to chime in with my honest opinion. V30 is the nicest android phone I've ever owned and I've owned almost every Samsung release in the past two years (T-mobile jump on demand). If anyone is considering it, I'd say go for it. The only concern I had was the reported screen issues, but mine is perfectly fine. The fact that it is able to drive my HD800S nicely is just icing on the cake. I traded in my note 8 for it.

What screen issues have been reported? i think your the second person to mention this.

Oct 22, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #662 of 6,140
Just want to chime in with my honest opinion. V30 is the nicest android phone I've ever owned and I've owned almost every Samsung release in the past two years (T-mobile jump on demand). If anyone is considering it, I'd say go for it. The only concern I had was the reported screen issues, but mine is perfectly fine. The fact that it is able to drive my HD800S nicely is just icing on the cake. I traded in my note 8 for it.

Does it actually?? I have a T-Mo v30 and it barely drives my effing P1s. My LCD-X is barely pushed to adequate volume.

Oct 22, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #663 of 6,140
What screen issues have been reported? i think your the second person to mention this.

A lot of the early v30s had splotchy screens. I've played with a few demos and bought one, haven't seen it myself, but it's apparently out there.

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #666 of 6,140
Does it actually?? I have a T-Mo v30 and it barely drives my effing P1s. My LCD-X is barely pushed to adequate volume.
Yes, it does. Sure, they don't reach volumes I get on my desktop setup, but for a portable device, it gets loud enough. Maybe a little louder than the dragonfly red was.

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #667 of 6,140
The DAC is on, just isn’t displaying the impedence ( External, High Impedence ....etc )

It’s the same on my TMobile V30.. seems to be a carrier thing..
Right, everything seems to be working, it just doesn't report what type of device it is currently connected to.

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #668 of 6,140
Its basically the same grainy effect while scrolling over white images at lower than 30% Brightness which is the same as the first lg flex. It was the first phone to use P-OLED technology by LG. The problem back then was that it was very visible back the because the screen resolution was only 720p. Honestly i didn't even notice it until someone mentioned it because for 1. I don't use the screen less than 30% brightness. 2. The ppi and resolution is so high its barely visible unless you're some one who test screens for a living.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #669 of 6,140
Do anyone have any unique sounding tracks to test for the v30? So far I have:
Eden’s Bridge - Amazing Grace( Arr.)
Olafur Arnalds-Reclaim
Slumberjack-Ra

Not usually an instrumental listener, but I really enjoyed these songs for listening and testing new gear:
1. Jazz Variants - O-zone Precussion Group
2. Hanuman - Rodrigo y Gabriela
3. Unfinished Sympathy - Massive Attack
4. Lieber Langsam - Jazzkantine
5. Song for Olabi - BLiss
6. Mombasa - 2Cellos
7. Highlife - O-zone Precussion Group
8. Ulaid - E.S. Posthumus

I have these on my Spotify "Test Music" play list. Oddly I generally listen to more complementary music.

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #670 of 6,140
You might have to restart the phone while the headphone is still connected to calibrate the amp to your specific headphone. I've noticed I always got better results after doing this with all the V series phones.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #671 of 6,140
Not usually an instrumental listener, but I really enjoyed these songs for listening and testing new gear:
1. Jazz Variants - O-zone Precussion Group
2. Hanuman - Rodrigo y Gabriela
3. Unfinished Sympathy - Massive Attack
4. Lieber Langsam - Jazzkantine
5. Song for Olabi - BLiss
6. Mombasa - 2Cellos
7. Highlife - O-zone Precussion Group
8. Ulaid - E.S. Posthumus

I have these on my Spotify "Test Music" play list. Oddly I generally listen to more complementary music.
Thanks

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #672 of 6,140
Depends what you mean by unique. Olafur's stable mate, Nils Frahm has some great music (I have all his albums on LP), particularly his albums 'Screws' and 'Felt' and 'Solo'. I'll likely play some Brian Eno/Pat Metheny from their album/Ep 'Electric Counterpoint' - the track Electric Counterpoint, Fast 3 may be of interest to you . Also, Brian Eno's 'Apollo' album is amazing and would be a fantastic test for the V30, to explore it's dynamic range.

For female voice, I'll be playing some Kathleen Battle early on, to test how it handles her magnificent soprano ('Bel Canto' album on DG, track -'I Capuleti Ed I Montecchi: Recitativo E Romanza (Atto I): 'Eccomi In Lieta Vesta...Oh! Quante Volte''). Sticking to a classical theme, Fabio Biondi and his consort have done wonders refreshing the works of Vivaldi (Virgin Records). For accommodating scale and dynamics again, the Rene Leibowitz/RPO readings of Beethoven are phenomenal - the 3rd (Eroica) Symphony's Scherzo is taken at blistering speed. This has been remaster by Chesky records to great effect.

I have a bunch of Jazz I'll be trying, in particular Wayne Shorter's work ('Speak No Evil', 'Night Dreamer'), and many, many others.

Hot Chip is also super fun. Check out their tune, 'Night and Day' on their album 'In Our Heads'. While we're at it, most things by the soon-to-break-up Wild Beasts would be interesting. Their album 'Present Tense' is an offering of perfectly formed modern pop.
Thanks

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #673 of 6,140
Has anyone made a comparison between the V30 and the G6+ (quad DAC) yet?
Are they maybe even using the exact same audio chipset?
I ask this because the G6+ is about half the price of the V30. So I'm thinking of just getting that instead, as I don't have a personal need for the extra advancements in other areas that the V30 has.

I would like to know this too but just from sound quality perspective not actually comparing phone other features like camera screen etc

How is sound quality compared to G6 plus with Quad DAC vs V30 if we keep filters to normal and no Eq in V30?

And if ther is a difference then specifics what not just huge difference which is mentioned already but that’s not helpful

The fact that currently G6 plus sells for half the price to V30 so if someone wants a secondary phone just for music playback as DAP and avoid clunky DAP whose software is just horrible to even consider ...

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #674 of 6,140
Now making a playlist on Spotify, which seems like a good idea. All of this is, I'm ashamed to say, quote new to me.

Just added Joni Mitchell's Overture- Cotton Avenue from 'Don Juan's Reckless Daughter' for Jaco Pastorious' gloriously deep bass (around 1'41").
Led Zeppelin's 'Ramble On'(from Led Zepp II) for that feel good vibe - should get my feet tapping. If not, something is wrong.
Meshell Ndegeocello's version of Petite Mort is great - particularly the Downtown remix by Miguel Migs - but that doesn't seem to be on Spotify.
Sweet Disposition, Temper Trap - Alan Wilkis remi, however, does seem to be there. Added. Also a feelgood tune.
Distinto Diferente, Afro-Cuban All Stars is also a hip-swaying monster of a tune. Turn it up, pour the mojitos.
The Supermen, David Bowie, Bowie At The Beeb, will round off this playlist for now.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #675 of 6,140
I lied.

I'm adding Coming Undone by Korn. That should shift some earwax and test whether the V30 can stay this side of listenable with a rockin' tune.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back