LG V20 Sound Quality
Jan 14, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #3,811 of 4,141
My v30+ is stuck on 7.1 (idk why) luckily still has the 1 incremental volume. It was such a pain in the ass on 7.0 with 5 volume steps especially in high impedance mode...

My v20 on the other hand has Oreo.
That's a bummer to say the least, I wonder how that came to be?

And yes I agree, volume steps of 5 did not go well - especially in Spotify in high impedance mode where the it could be the difference between too low or too high of a volume.
Now I gotta get over the habit to turn on my display and adjust the volume slider that way.

Jan 15, 2019 at 12:33 AM Post #3,812 of 4,141
Ok...v20 with Oreo here too. I mostly like it, except for some changes i don't :) it always asks me if i want to turn mobile data on and off. Which didn't happen on nougat. I get it for on, but not for off. And confirmation cannot be deactivated.

But today i'll be getting a v30. No OS update? Surprised.

Jan 15, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #3,813 of 4,141
Ok...v20 with Oreo here too. I mostly like it, except for some changes i don't :) it always asks me if i want to turn mobile data on and off. Which didn't happen on nougat. I get it for on, but not for off. And confirmation cannot be deactivated.

But today i'll be getting a v30. No OS update? Surprised.
That's a weird issue I'm yet to encounter.

Please update us on the differences between the V30 and V20! Most notably audio-wise & perhaps camera differences. :smile_phones:

Jan 15, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #3,815 of 4,141
It's 2019, and I'm still enjoying my V20 as if I had bought it yesterday.

Nevertheless, a Galaxy S9 with Dolby Atmos installed, and non-demanding headphones, is awfully close to it (or even suprasses it, with Dolby enabled). Sure, this beast can power almost any headphone you throw at it, but then again, when using as a portable, I never carry my power hungry units.

The Galaxy S9 with a Sonata HD DAC, though, is pretty much everything I'd ever need from a phone... so I guess my V20 days are numbered...

Jan 15, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #3,816 of 4,141
It's 2019, and I'm still enjoying my V20 as if I had bought it yesterday.

Nevertheless, a Galaxy S9 with Dolby Atmos installed, and non-demanding headphones, is awfully close to it (or even suprasses it, with Dolby enabled). Sure, this beast can power almost any headphone you throw at it, but then again, when using as a portable, I never carry my power hungry units.

The Galaxy S9 with a Sonata HD DAC, though, is pretty much everything I'd ever need from a phone... so I guess my V20 days are numbered...

What is a Sonata HD DAC? Is this a special edition of the S9 with a high end DAC built in? If so is it available in Canada? You say it makes the S9 sound better than a V20?

Jan 15, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #3,817 of 4,141
V20 just went to my wife.
I moved to V30. Everything is better as expected. And the sound is fantastic indeed, mqa from tidal via uapp. I think the difference is made by built in hardware support for mqa. Because afaik the dac is the same. Maybe the amp section is better too. I'll have to read thru v30 thread about it. And you need good headphones.
V20 still remains strong though.

Jan 16, 2019 at 7:44 AM Post #3,818 of 4,141
It'd be a great marketing idea to take trade ins from more popular brands to garner some hype. I'm thinking Samsung and maybe the Iphone! Personally I'd trade my Note 5 in if I could put a nice dent in the payoff amount... Probably just wishful thinking, :rolleyes:

Was just thinking, to think 2 years later this would actually be a thing with both Apple and Samsung

Mar 6, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #3,822 of 4,141
No more than $140 on Amazon see.

it's not available in Canada. But converted and according for tax, that should be around $210 CAD

Mar 7, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #3,823 of 4,141
it's not available in Canada. But converted and according for tax, that should be around $210 CAD

At that price, you are better off looking at players like hiby r3, fiio m7, shanling m0 etc, the first 2 certainly provides better sound quality. If you insist on v20, refreb ones are around $120 USD shipped on ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back