LG V20 Sound Quality
Jan 11, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #1,861 of 4,141
If you're referring to the dac fix hi-fi everywhere app it is no longer required to enable the optional DAC in marshmallow for most apps. I'm using Poweramp, tidal and Uapp with no problems. Not sure about nougat in the V20 though.

Jan 11, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #1,862 of 4,141
  what surprises me is that in phones like htc and samsung all apps get access to the hifi dac and people simply do not have to keep wondering, and they cana use their preferred apps of their choice

what is bugging me is that lg marketed this phone as a high res audio phone, while making a stupid stock music app that sounds worse than any 3rd party app, and we do not know  which 3rd party apps have full access with certainty and have keep speculating about this down sampling issue.

if the usb audio pro dev is not sure what happens after the data gets to the dac i am sure non of other app devs would know as well

UAPP works perfectly fine and utilizes the dac to it's fullest extent in bitperfect mode. I just confirmed this myself.

Jan 11, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #1,863 of 4,141
The Quad DAC SOC is engaged whenever activated by the Hi-Fi toggle.  Anything using digital audio will use it.   Hi-Fi toggle will only be available with headphone plugged into 3.5mm jack.   It is really as simple as that.     And yes, everything from Amazon video to Google Music to any player will make use of it.   It is not the app, it is the OS that handles this, it is transparent to the app.   thus the 48Khz sample conundrum which is a valid point, I hope Android addresses with a public API.  
If anyone cannot hear the difference, then either there headphones are not up to snuff, or their ears are not.   The V20 sounds excellent and the Quad DAC ESS part is not a gimmick ...it is quite an excellent feature and makes this phone a unique product for audiophiles. 

Jan 12, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #1,864 of 4,141

UAPP works perfectly fine and utilizes the dac to it's fullest extent in bitperfect mode. I just confirmed this myself.

the dev of UAPP could not verify this, so how did you know this, as he mentioned in the UAPP bit perfect mode works only with usb out, and the readings in the app itself are only valid for when a usb dac is connected

Jan 12, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #1,865 of 4,141
just tested UAPP on V20, and it behaved quite interestingly...

for 16/44 content:
it will output as 32bit pcmfloat format in 44k without SRC, but volume control is done in 16bit without dither. resulting in not much different quality as most generic players, and worse than poweramp.

for 24bit content:
sometimes it does the same as above, including the 16bit volume control, resulting in significantly worse quality than most generic players.
sometimes it outputs to 16/48 mixer path, also resulting in significantly worse quality than most generic players.

it played so much complicated tricks yet the result is not satisfactory, such a pity...it has a chance to achieve the best quality for all contents but it did the opposite...

Jan 12, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #1,866 of 4,141
Though everyone argue about this and there's no way out for this, I pulled a trigger on v20 and I love it sound :)

Guess I have to bear with it and wait for some dev fix this.

For now, Im enjoying it on Neutron with some configuration (not for root due to my model is unrootable for now)

Jan 12, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #1,867 of 4,141
  just tested UAPP on V20, and it behaved quite interestingly...

for 16/44 content:
it will output as 32bit pcmfloat format in 44k without SRC, but volume control is done in 16bit without dither. resulting in not much different quality as most generic players, and worse than poweramp.

for 24bit content:
sometimes it does the same as above, including the 16bit volume control, resulting in significantly worse quality than most generic players.
sometimes it outputs to 16/48 mixer path, also resulting in significantly worse quality than most generic players.

it played so much complicated tricks yet the result is not satisfactory, such a pity...it has a chance to achieve the best quality for all contents but it did the opposite...

what about neutron and power amp

Jan 12, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #1,868 of 4,141
  what about neutron and power amp

neutron doesn't perform very well on V20, but i don't remember the details, sorry.

as of poweramp:
  for 16/44.1 redbook CD content, poweramp alpha still is a better choice, read post #1762 for recommended settings.
you can use the google play beta version (alpha 703) or the forum version (alpha 704), no real difference for V20.

for lossless hi-res content, a generic music player like the stock player or google music, etc. is better than poweramp.

Jan 12, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #1,869 of 4,141
I use a H990ds device. Like the V10, it extender / adapter impedance (75 ohm) HighGain trick. I use headphones under 50 ohms. (ATH-AD900X , ATH-MSR7 .. beautiful voice, you can confirm after one year of use V10) Someone could say that the use of viper4android even nicer is if?

Jan 12, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #1,871 of 4,141
I use it only applied to the V10 High Gain trick for V20 as well. I use 703 PowerAMP alpha (which I think is very well-defined EQ), beautifully plays the DSD files. Both headsets are less than 50 ohms, and high dynamics, noise-free even more beautiful voice than v10. Amazing .

Jan 12, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #1,873 of 4,141
Okay, my V10 died today, so I'm getting an H990DS V20.

I've read through the last 30 pages, and I'm confused.  Does the V20 play 16-bit 44.1kHz files natively?  If so, with which apps?  Thanks in advance for answering.

searching for more international model if you wanna root or custom because this model is not so well known model so developer didn't try to find a way to root it and also it's bootloader locked :frowning2:

from my understand 16/44 is able to play natively but more than 48 are downsampling to 48 due to android src

Jan 12, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #1,875 of 4,141
as i am writing this i am getting a big update being downloaded on my h990 international version, i do not know if this is another security patch or a something else, but its a big update that is downloading now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back