LG V20 Sound Quality
Jan 13, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #1,891 of 4,141
Hey stenog,

So connect it to phone first and then headphones?

Also.......will this work on regular headphones too?

Thanks.

It should.

My current workaround is a 3.5mm splitter: 1 x 3.5mm plug into 2 x 3.5mm sockets. I cut off the 2nd socket and replaced it with 2 SMT 470ohm resistors to ground, one on each channel. Covered it all in heatshink and hotmelt. Now I get high inpedance mode without a volume control in the way.

Umm... if everything you're doing is on the parallel second socket and your headphones still plug directly into the first socket...

No matter how much resistance you add to the second socket the resulting resistance will be at least marginally LOWER than the headphones alone.

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-paralresist.htm

Unless what you did is to trick the phone into hi-z mode by plugging the adapter by itself and then the headphones onto the 1st socket only later. Then the impedance check on plugin would see 470 ohms and jump to hi-z, and I guess it doesn't check again afterwards.

One would think though that LG had its reasons for limiting hi-z mode to... hi-z headphones though? Haven't looked into the details but I would guess hi-z mode has higher gain, and with the audio path of the V20 not being bit-perfect most times, this higher gain would translate into amplification of excess dithering noise that's not attenuated by lowering the volume.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 13, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #1,892 of 4,141
It should.

My current workaround is a 3.5mm splitter: 1 x 3.5mm plug into 2 x 3.5mm sockets. I cut off the 2nd socket and replaced it with 2 SMT 470ohm resistors to ground, one on each channel. Covered it all in heatshink and hotmelt. Now I get high inpedance mode without a volume control in the way.

Thanks jagwap!

So will that cable still work if the headphone cable is fixed? And plug into headphones first or phone??

Thanks!

Jan 13, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #1,893 of 4,141
Hey stenog,

So connect it to phone first and then headphones?

Also.......will this work on regular headphones too?

Thanks.

Good morning Rock :sweat_smile:

Yes. If the headphone is more than 50 ohm LG V10/V20 will automatically trigger high impedance mode. In this setting both have a lot of power.

If less than 50 ohm I use this extender, it will trigger aux mode. It has enough power for all iems I have tried. This setting is more or less the same as the power output of the HTC 10. I can drive my Z1R from the H10 without any problems.

In high impedance mode the v10 has a lot of power, I think it can drive the HD800 but never tried that.

Jan 13, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #1,894 of 4,141
Good morning Rock :sweat_smile:

Yes. If the headphone is more than 50 ohm LG V10/V20 will automatically trigger high impedance mode. In this setting both have a lot of power.

If less than 50 ohm I use this extender, it will trigger aux mode. It has enough power for all iems I have tried. This setting is more or less the same as the power output of the HTC 10. I can drive my Z1R from the H10 without any problems.

In high impedance mode the v10 has a lot of power, I think it can drive the HD800 but never tried that.

Good morning my friend! lol

Ok my AKG K551s are 32 ohms, so Aux/External Device Detected mode only I guess is what I should expect with that adapter?

50 ohms is the natural cutoff from Aux to HIM on the V20?? Really? Interesting.

Ok so Aux's output is the same as HTC 10's output? Cool. I wish there was an easier way to get HIM, but Aux will PROB do. lol

Wow the Z1Rs are 64 ohms?! That's DOUBLE my K551s! lol My concern is being able to drive some of my quieter Hi-Res albums properly really.

So even though my headphones have a fixed cable it'll still work then??

So connect it to phone first and then headphones?? Or does it not matter when using that adapter?

Thanks!!!

Jan 13, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #1,895 of 4,141
can we get more feedback on how the player pro deals with the dac in v20

and what settings are recommended , and can the dsp pack used but so that it does not cause down sampling

Jan 13, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #1,896 of 4,141
Umm... if everything you're doing is on the parallel second socket and your headphones still plug directly into the first socket...

No matter how much resistance you add to the second socket the resulting resistance will be at least marginally LOWER than the headphones alone.

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-paralresist.htm

Unless what you did is to trick the phone into hi-z mode by plugging the adapter by itself and then the headphones onto the 1st socket only later. Then the impedance check on plugin would see 470 ohms and jump to hi-z, and I guess it doesn't check again afterwards.

One would think though that LG had its reasons for limiting hi-z mode to... hi-z headphones though? Haven't looked into the details but I would guess hi-z mode has higher gain, and with the audio path of the V20 not being bit-perfect most times, this higher gain would translate into amplification of excess dithering noise that's not attenuated by lowering the volume.

Yes, it is not perfect. The 470 ohms makes my 24 ohm headphones appear to be 23 ohms.

I also didn't use silver solder, or an oxygen free room to listen to it.

But the effect of the high impedance mode is larger than all of that.

I still want to make a version where the plugging and unplugging is bypassed, but good switches usefully small are hard to DIY.

Jan 13, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #1,897 of 4,141
I know you are in this health (ear) protection causes. Why not let the LG manually adjust the Low-High Gain. ( For very large gain gives the V20 high when less than 50 ohm headphones tailed. Almost double the strength! When we use the following trick High Gain )

Obviously a child may even be deaf because of it.
In addition to legally sue them.

Jan 13, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #1,898 of 4,141
But the effect of the high impedance mode is larger than all of that.

you are using audeze sine iirc? how would you describe the sonical difference between low/high gain mode?
btw, are you playing hi-res content more than redbook content? thanks~

Jan 13, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #1,899 of 4,141
you are using audeze sine iirc? how would you describe the sonical difference between low/high gain mode?
btw, are you playing hi-res content more than redbook content? thanks~

I haven't level matched the low and high impedance modes well enough on the stock app to give a realistic answer.

If we can get something like poweramp to start letting the unadulterated bits through I'll give it another go.

Jan 13, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #1,900 of 4,141
i see, one more thing about the adaptor, 470ohm shunt resistor for each channel...isn't that -32db crosstalk?

Jan 13, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #1,901 of 4,141
i see, one more thing about the adaptor, 470ohm shunt resistor for each channel...isn't that -32db crosstalk?

Interesting...

Crosstalk would only happen if the current through the resistor imposed a current on the ground pin to share with the other channel? As this goes back to the 3.5mm ground pin, only the ground pin and the ground of the phone can be guilty of this. It should, all being well, be in the milli ohms.

The current should be linear too, so the crosstalk will also be linear.

The headphone current is less linear and much higher, and that is not including back emf.

So I wasn't overly concerned. But I will work the theory again and you may have a point.

Jan 13, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #1,902 of 4,141
Do you think its good to leave the 32 bit output on in playerpro?

I do not see how it can hurt, but havent A/B tested this setting to see I can detect any difference.    Ultimately the ESS DAC will pad <32bit depth input to 32 bit regardless.

Can anyone hear a difference with this feature on or off using Quad DAC?

Jan 13, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #1,903 of 4,141
Interesting...

Crosstalk would only happen if the current through the resistor imposed a current on the ground pin to share with the other channel? As this goes back to the 3.5mm ground pin, only the ground pin and the ground of the phone can be guilty of this. It should, all being well, be in the milli ohms.

The current should be linear too, so the crosstalk will also be linear.

The headphone current is less linear and much higher, and that is not including back emf.

So I wasn't overly concerned. But I will work the theory again and you may have a point.

you are right, I mis-calculated it completely, thanks for the detailed explanation!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back