LG V20 Sound Quality
Jan 16, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #1,922 of 4,141
Thank you for the detailed response. I also watched a youtube vid showing the V20 besting the 10 in various tasks. I'm 90% sure I'm going with the V20, but I'm still hesitating a bit.

You're welcome! Hopefully it helped. 

That's cool. 

Ok let us know what you do. 

Well that's understandable................the V20 IS a phablet, which caused MAJOR hesitation for me too. LOL I'm 90% sure I'm keeping the V20, but I prob won't be 100% until I've had it for a good week or two, and today's only Day 2. I'm leaning toward NOT getting a case for it b/c I know that'll just make it look and feel bigger, and I have private cell phone insurance anyway so that's good. Plus the military-grade outer body helps too. 

Jan 16, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #1,924 of 4,141
I went with the HTC 10. Didn't want another phablet, and not having to jump through hoops to get good sound were the selling points. I've set up a personal listening setting in Boom Sound, and turned Dolby off. Using Poweramp 704, I get really nice sound.

I'm happy.

Cool man. No joke, there's a part of me that wants to return the V20 and get the 10 too. lol 

So you really think it gets loud enough? Volume was more an issue b/t the 2 phones for me than DAC sound quality really. Do you have any quieter Hi-Res albums to check this out on by any chance?

Hey can you do me a favor? If you would, please check and see if DVC is enabled under the Audio settings in Poweramp. If so, let me know over the next say, day or so, if you hear ANY kind of distortion whatsoever. It may only occur on some songs, but even if one let me know. This was a major factor with me getting the V20, but if I knew it wasn't happening on the 10, then MAYBE I'd consider the 10 more seriously. 

Does turning Dolby off affect the volume level at all? So you're saying it sounds better with Dolby off? 

I was using that same Poweramp Alpha 704, but I felt that although it sounded SLIGHTLY better than regular Poweramp that it was a bit too buggy and then recently I noticed it was forgetting to switch over to whichever custom EQ setting I had saved for certain songs (NOT cool lol). Plus you can't use backup copies on it b/c they won't install. I really wish that Poweramp developer guy Alex would quit f'in' around and just release all the new Alpha 704 features on an OFFICIAL version of Poweramp. Esp if ppl are paying, then they should get the best.

Jan 16, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #1,927 of 4,141
So, I turned DVC off, used my quietest album, Lord of the Rings soundtrack, and I didn't hear any distortion or static. I think the trick is, install 703, then upgrade to 704 on top of it. Don't get the flaky performance that way.

Oh you listen on IEMs? Ok. Well see that's the thing........ I listen on headphones, so they will require more power to drive them than what most IEMs need. Though my AKG K551s are 32 ohms as well, but not sure on the sensitivity with your IEMs since that is a factor too. 

Well actually, the distortion issue only occurs on SOME smartphones (Sony, and more often HTC) when DVC is ON, not off. So you may wanna check again with it on this time to know for sure. 

I think that's what I did...........I had the trial regular Poweramp (from Play Store) and then upgraded to Alpha 704 full version. So I dunno. lol 

Jan 17, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #1,930 of 4,141

Oh you listen on IEMs? Ok. Well see that's the thing........ I listen on headphones, so they will require more power to drive them than what most IEMs need. Though my AKG K551s are 32 ohms as well, but not sure on the sensitivity with your IEMs since that is a factor too. 

Well actually, the distortion issue only occurs on SOME smartphones (Sony, and more often HTC) when DVC is ON, not off. So you may wanna check again with it on this time to know for sure. 

I think that's what I did...........I had the trial regular Poweramp (from Play Store) and then upgraded to Alpha 704 full version. So I dunno. lol 

Tried with DVC on, and no difference.  A little louder, but other than that, no difference.  It might be the BA IEM's that I use vs. the magnetic driver of headphones.  Wish I could be more help. 

Jan 17, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #1,932 of 4,141
  Tried with DVC on, and no difference.  A little louder, but other than that, no difference.  It might be the BA IEM's that I use vs. the magnetic driver of headphones.  Wish I could be more help. 

No man. You were still helpful! I think the issue stems from the phone and not the headphones actually. IMO anyway. Yeah DVC will make it louder, but CAN also introduce audible distortion to the sound on at least SOME songs. But ok if you didn't have the issue then that's a good thing. Maybe I'll ask around more. 

Thanks!!!

Jan 17, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #1,934 of 4,141
I went with the HTC 10. Didn't want another phablet, and not having to jump through hoops to get good sound were the selling points. I've set up a personal listening setting in Boom Sound, and turned Dolby off. Using Poweramp 704, I get really nice sound.

I'm happy.

I decided after doing a Pros and Cons (see below) list on the 10 that I wanna give it a real (second) try, so JUST bought it now! Found a code for $100 off on some site so only had to pay $500! Got the Topaz Gold unlocked one. Will arrive on Thursday I believe. 

Gonna compare it to V20 on sound quality, but I'm pretty sure it will at least be just as good and loud. We'll see. 

Does turning Dolby off affect the volume level at all? So you're saying it sounds better with Dolby off??? Please elaborate.  

HTC 10 Pros (vs int’l V20):

Awesome DAC & amp
Better battery life than either Xperia XP or XZ
2K Screen (vs. XP)
Tough Body
Camera better than LG V20’s in every DxoMark category
Uh-Oh Protection – 1 year (so can cancel insurance and get pro-rated refund for 1 year I already prepaid)
Splashproof (V20 isn’t)
Auto-Answer Calls feature
VoLTE/HD Voice certified with T-Mobile (int’l V20 isn’t)
$100 cheaper with code
Home button is actually a pad not a real button

Cons:
Camera not AS good as Sony’s, though with newer updates since last summer, might be better than when I tried it in June.
Would prefer virtual home button over home “pad” button, but not a big deal really.
HTC 11 might not be a phablet and I’d be switching again soon anyway. 

Jan 19, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #1,935 of 4,141

I decided after doing a Pros and Cons (see below) list on the 10 that I wanna give it a real (second) try, so JUST bought it now! Found a code for $100 off on some site so only had to pay $500! Got the Topaz Gold unlocked one. Will arrive on Thursday I believe. 

Gonna compare it to V20 on sound quality, but I'm pretty sure it will at least be just as good and loud. We'll see. 

Does turning Dolby off affect the volume level at all? So you're saying it sounds better with Dolby off??? Please elaborate.  

HTC 10 Pros (vs int’l V20):

Awesome DAC & amp
Better battery life than either Xperia XP or XZ
2K Screen (vs. XP)
Tough Body
Camera better than LG V20’s in every DxoMark category
Uh-Oh Protection – 1 year (so can cancel insurance and get pro-rated refund for 1 year I already prepaid)
Splashproof (V20 isn’t)
Auto-Answer Calls feature
VoLTE/HD Voice certified with T-Mobile (int’l V20 isn’t)
$100 cheaper with code
Home button is actually a pad not a real button

Cons:
Camera not AS good as Sony’s, though with newer updates since last summer, might be better than when I tried it in June.
Would prefer virtual home button over home “pad” button, but not a big deal really.
HTC 11 might not be a phablet and I’d be switching again soon anyway. 

I read through your posts on the V20 vs. the HTC 10 and I agree with everything you said. For all of the reasons you discussed, I am praying to the audio and mobile lords that the LG G6, due in a month or two, has all the audio goodness of the V20 and none of that stupid modular crap of the G5. I purchased an S7 a week ago because I swore I could not carry this massive V20 around any longer (in addition to my iPhone 7+!), but I just keep coming back to the V20. If it were smaller, it would be the perfect phone for me without question. So I have decided to keep it because the S7 is a HUGE step down in the audio department from the V20. I wanted to love the HTC 10 as well, but the camera was mediocre, battery life was mediocre and I just didn't jive with it like I do the V20 or S7 as a phone. 

Anyway, here's hoping that the G6 is a smaller V20 (it looks like it by the leaks) and I will be a very, very happy camper. 

-Collin-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back