LG V20 Sound Quality
Jan 19, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #1,936 of 4,141

I read through your posts on the V20 vs. the HTC 10 and I agree with everything you said. For all of the reasons you discussed, I am praying to the audio and mobile lords that the LG G6, due in a month or two, has all the audio goodness of the V20 and none of that stupid modular crap of the G5. I purchased an S7 a week ago because I swore I could not carry this massive V20 around any longer (in addition to my iPhone 7+!), but I just keep coming back to the V20. If it were smaller, it would be the perfect phone for me without question. So I have decided to keep it because the S7 is a HUGE step down in the audio department from the V20. I wanted to love the HTC 10 as well, but the camera was mediocre, battery life was mediocre and I just didn't jive with it like I do the V20 or S7 as a phone. 

Anyway, here's hoping that the G6 is a smaller V20 (it looks like it by the leaks) and I will be a very, very happy camper. 

-Collin-

Hey Collin,

The thing is with the G6, I've seen NOTHING yet to indicate that it will have a Quad DAC or something of that nature on it as well (though that COULD change of course). So I have no clue if they are just keeping that for the V series or not. I would hope not, but I could see them doing so to get ppl to spend more money on the more expensive V30 this Fall. 

OMG..........if you said you've seen my posts, then have you also seen what I've said on the S7? If you care about sound (including call) quality AT ALL, the S7 is like the worst phone you can have. lol I had that wretched phone for 4 mos last year..............worst 4 mos ever phone-wise. LOL

LG has a smaller V20 that's ALSO WATERPROOF but it's only available in Japan. Last Nov they announced they would release it in Europe, but never did. Big time FAIL on their part b/c if they had, I may very well have stayed with LG. But like you, I too can't handle phablets. I had the S7 Edge last year for 2 weeks and it was too big too, and now this V20 I'm trying out is even bigger. I'll decide 100% by tonight, but I'm pretty much set on keeping the 10 which JUST came in a few hours ago and returning the V20, and also selling both my Xperia XP and Oppo HA-2 on eBay. 

Ok cool. Well if you're KEEPING the V20 then I guess you didn't TOTALLY agree with everything I said. lolo

Yeah return that S7 crap. lol The camera on the 10 is rated better than the V20's, but I have to test it out myself. Since last summer when I first tried it out, HTC has released at least 2 major updates that included camera improvements, so we'll see how it measures up for me. Well battery life on the 10 is still better than my XP's I'm sure, so I am happy about that. I was very impressed by the V20's battery life, so we'll see how well the 10 actually holds up for me. I feel like I'm jiving more with the 10 already, but need more time. Size-wise though it's great!

I hope it is smaller V20 too, for LG's sake. lol

Jan 19, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #1,937 of 4,141

Hey Collin,

The thing is with the G6, I've seen NOTHING yet to indicate that it will have a Quad DAC or something of that nature on it as well (though that COULD change of course). So I have no clue if they are just keeping that for the V series or not. I would hope not, but I could see them doing so to get ppl to spend more money on the more expensive V30 this Fall. 

OMG..........if you said you've seen my posts, then have you also seen what I've said on the S7? If you care about sound (including call) quality AT ALL, the S7 is like the worst phone you can have. lol I had that wretched phone for 4 mos last year..............worst 4 mos ever phone-wise. LOL

LG has a smaller V20 that's ALSO WATERPROOF but it's only available in Japan. Last Nov they announced they would release it in Europe, but never did. Big time FAIL on their part b/c if they had, I may very well have stayed with LG. But like you, I too can't handle phablets. I had the S7 Edge last year for 2 weeks and it was too big too, and now this V20 I'm trying out is even bigger. I'll decide 100% by tonight, but I'm pretty much set on keeping the 10 which JUST came in a few hours ago and returning the V20, and also selling both my Xperia XP and Oppo HA-2 on eBay. 

Ok cool. Well if you're KEEPING the V20 then I guess you didn't TOTALLY agree with everything I said. lolo

Yeah return that S7 crap. lol The camera on the 10 is rated better than the V20's, but I have to test it out myself. Since last summer when I first tried it out, HTC has released at least 2 major updates that included camera improvements, so we'll see how it measures up for me. Well battery life on the 10 is still better than my XP's I'm sure, so I am happy about that. I was very impressed by the V20's battery life, so we'll see how well the 10 actually holds up for me. I feel like I'm jiving more with the 10 already, but need more time. Size-wise though it's great!

All great points. I guess I will hold tight with the V20, return the S7 and just wait for what happens with the G6. As far as Sony goes, man, why can't they make a decent audiophile phone? I love their phones, but they never evolved to keep up with the market. Argh. 

Did you own the Axon 7? I had that for a while and really liked it, but the operating system was a joke. It felt like it was always on beta software. 

-Collin-

Jan 19, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #1,938 of 4,141
I had no interest in the V20 but ever since my gf's G4 died and she replaced it with a V20 I have been super jealous of it. It is truly better than the V10 in every way and whenever my V10 bites the dust I know what I'm replacing it with... (her own choice, i thought she was going to go back to iPhone so i was caught off guard when she asked for a V20 at the store)

Jan 20, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #1,939 of 4,141
Well. It is pretty much the most decent phone with removable battery...

sound wise i think it is a lil better than my x3ii..

Camera on auto mode is pretty much garbage. But if you are able to learn manual mode, it is awesome.

Despite having soft buttons, the v20 is bigger than my note 3. And you'd think both have same screen size on paper but due to on screen buttons at least one cm of screen is cut off for the buttons.

But it is still the best phone of 2016 imo just cause removable battery~~

Jan 20, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #1,940 of 4,141
Hey Collin,

There are strong rumours that LG will release the V32 under the name V20S in Europe. It is a small V20.

Jan 20, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #1,942 of 4,141

All great points. I guess I will hold tight with the V20, return the S7 and just wait for what happens with the G6. As far as Sony goes, man, why can't they make a decent audiophile phone? I love their phones, but they never evolved to keep up with the market. Argh. 

Did you own the Axon 7? I had that for a while and really liked it, but the operating system was a joke. It felt like it was always on beta software. 

-Collin-

Cool. 

The funny/ironic thing is, 3 years ago, Sony's Xperia phones were considered the BEST sounding (even a tiny bit above HTC, or at least equal to), and LG's were a joke (even Samsung may have been better. SAMSUNG lol). My how things have changed lol..............................

Exactly..............they evolved their camera for sure, but the battery situation went south BIG TIME, and yeah audio is nothing special at all. I compared the Z3 I had back then to a $200 DAP and it sounded JUST as good. I kinda doubt the same would happen now. 

Axon 7? No I have not. Yeah the newer companies typically still have a ways to go. lol

Jan 20, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #1,943 of 4,141

I heard those rumors 2-3 mos ago, and NOTHING has been mentioned since. I have a feeling they changed their minds. Unless you wanna move to Japan, I don't see it happening. lol

I live within reaching distance of Hong Kong.  You can get almost anything there grey market (except the AKG K872 it seems).  But I don't fancy a phone with only Japanese menus, which may be the case.

I'm getting used to my V20, but the G6 does look more manageable to hold.

Jan 20, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #1,944 of 4,141
So, i feel like people haven't realized the T-Mobile update that came out for this phone might be important.  In the patch notes it mentioned an audio patch, and a user on XDA noted this:

"Looks like they finally took off the audio cap on the DAC. Getting 192khz 24 bit in a FLAC file in Poweramp. Finally!"

Has anyone actually looked into what has changed on this patch?  Could it be the audio fix we have been waiting for...?

Jan 20, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #1,945 of 4,141
  So, i feel like people haven't realized the T-Mobile update that came out for this phone might be important.  In the patch notes it mentioned an audio patch, and a user on XDA noted this:

"Looks like they finally took off the audio cap on the DAC. Getting 192khz 24 bit in a FLAC file in Poweramp. Finally!"

Has anyone actually looked into what has changed on this patch?  Could it be the audio fix we have been waiting for...?

I'm guessing NO, but does that mean the volume will be louder too or no? 

Thanks.

Jan 20, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #1,946 of 4,141
The update did a great job of hosing my phone. It's working fine now, but for 24 hours after the update my "HiFi" was stuck on. Then when I would manually turn it off, it would show a headphone symbol as if headphones were plugged in. Every call I got, was trying to be routed through headphones that were not attached so I missed at least five work calls where people could not hear me. Super, super annoying. It seems to be working fine now. I restarted it several times while the issue was occurring and that did not help at all. It just disappeared the next day. Anyone else have anything like that? It was seriously testing my patience to not throw it against the wall, and this was literally an hour after I decided to return my Galaxy S7 to Amazon lol. 

-Collin-

Jan 20, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #1,947 of 4,141
  The update did a great job of hosing my phone. It's working fine now, but for 24 hours after the update my "HiFi" was stuck on. Then when I would manually turn it off, it would show a headphone symbol as if headphones were plugged in. Every call I got, was trying to be routed through headphones that were not attached so I missed at least five work calls where people could not hear me. Super, super annoying. It seems to be working fine now. I restarted it several times while the issue was occurring and that did not help at all. It just disappeared the next day. Anyone else have anything like that? It was seriously testing my patience to not throw it against the wall, and this was literally an hour after I decided to return my Galaxy S7 to Amazon lol. 

-Collin-

Wow that sux! lol But at least it resolved itself. Strange that it did so in such a short time. Usually when I have phone issues it goes on for MONTHS. lol

Jan 21, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #1,949 of 4,141
Just upgraded to 10t(December security patch) on Korean variant, unfortunately, Poweramp hi-res path still doesn't work.

Hope the T-Mobile variant behaves differently.

Found the thread on XDA, the one talking about Poweramp support is stating a hope, not a finding.

Jan 21, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #1,950 of 4,141
i just got my lg v20 like 10 days ago. great phone. main reason i got it was because of the dac. i have the international version and im using it in canada. the problem im having is that the music is not loud enough. im using the b and o h3 earphones that came with the v20. there isnt alot of bass. when i toogel between the hi-fi on and off it makes no difference. can anyone help me? or maybe explain to me whats going on. it is just the headphones? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back