LG V20 Sound Quality
Jan 10, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #1,847 of 4,141
guys does usb audio player play files without down sampling, as i noticed that it displays correct bit rate when playing 192/24 files

Jan 10, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #1,849 of 4,141
Everyone can say whatever they please, imho. What matters to me is that my V20 sounds better than my onboard sound (Z97 motherboard, some Realtek chip) and my PCIe sound card (Xonar DGX), the latter sounds better than onboard but both solutions fall short compared to the V20. It's surprising really. I would've though dedicated sound cards to be better, but doesn't seem to be the case: the V20 produces richer, more detailed sound.
I'm no audiophile nor will I ever understand how the "audiophile ear" works, but even I can tell when something sounds more pleasing to me than something else. Oh, and my collection is nothing but FLACs even if makes no difference because screw lossy, I have 12tb free out of my 20tb array of disks so why not?

Jan 10, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #1,850 of 4,141
Everyone can say whatever they please, imho. What matters to me is that my V20 sounds better than my onboard sound (Z97 motherboard, some Realtek chip) and my PCIe sound card (Xonar DGX), the latter sounds better than onboard but both solutions fall short compared to the V20. It's surprising really. I would've though dedicated sound cards to be better, but doesn't seem to be the case: the V20 produces richer, more detailed sound.
I'm no audiophile nor will I ever understand how the "audiophile ear" works, but even I can tell when something sounds more pleasing to me than something else. Oh, and my collection is nothing but FLACs even if makes no difference because screw lossy, I have 12tb free out of my 20tb array of disks so why not?

Because your phone doesn't have 20TB of storage? :wink:

Regardless, more lossless users is always good news for us :D

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 10, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #1,851 of 4,141

DGX is intended for gaming and voip, not music playback, time to upgrade 
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #1,852 of 4,141
Because your phone doesn't have 20TB of storage?
wink.gif

Regardless, more lossless users is always good news for us
biggrin.gif

True enough. I should've mentioned I have only stored songs which I listen to the most often in my SD card. I used to have full albums in lossy formats, but it's a pain to keep organized due to load times.

DGX is intended for gaming and voip, not music playback, time to upgrade 
biggrin.gif

Well, what's my alternative? Every sound card I've come across claims to be a gaming sound card anyway, so I went with what had good reviews and didn't cost a fortune.

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #1,853 of 4,141

Well, what's my alternative? Every sound card I've come across claims to be a gaming sound card anyway, so I went with what had good reviews and didn't cost a fortune.

i choose D2X since i only use its lineout.
if you need powerful build-in headphone amp, Essence series is a good choice.

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #1,854 of 4,141
i seriously think usb audio player is the best player for lg v20 and according to what i see it plays but perfect files without down sampling and has parametric eq and sounds really great

i do not know why people do not recommend usb audio player for playing back files without down sampling here

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #1,855 of 4,141
  i seriously think usb audio player is the best player for lg v20 and according to what i see it plays but perfect files without down sampling and has parametric eq and sounds really great

i do not know why people do not recommend usb audio player for playing back files without down sampling here

Because USB player does not use the internal DAC on the LG V20

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #1,856 of 4,141

sorry i am not sure now if it does not down sample as the dev of the app could not confirm this, and the reading in the app does not reflect what happens after it gets fed in the data to the dac

Jan 11, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #1,857 of 4,141
Like I read on another forum, one guy is praising (again) PowerAmp (tried it many times but its just the UI I like). Installed PowerAmp 3 Alpha 104 and....Meeh...could not touch NeutronMP or HibyMusic in SQ (on MY ears).And a bunch of other Apps...

So..How one can know that an App is using the internal DAC? (Not just some guy on a forum says so...No offense)

Jan 11, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #1,858 of 4,141
what surprises me is that in phones like htc and samsung all apps get access to the hifi dac and people simply do not have to keep wondering, and they cana use their preferred apps of their choice

what is bugging me is that lg marketed this phone as a high res audio phone, while making a stupid stock music app that sounds worse than any 3rd party app, and we do not know  which 3rd party apps have full access with certainty and have keep speculating about this down sampling issue.

if the usb audio pro dev is not sure what happens after the data gets to the dac i am sure non of other app devs would know as well

Jan 11, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #1,859 of 4,141

Why do you say that? When I turn on/off the DAC button, I hear it switch while using UAPP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back