LG V20 Sound Quality
Feb 17, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #4,021 of 4,141
I've been playing with the L20 H910 (ATT unlocked) phone I bought from epay.
Bought an open box one, but is was in a sealed box, and as far as I can tell it's brand new. :relaxed:
Using as a DAP, so now sim, I just ignore the missing sim message and it works fine.
Battery has been draining fast, so I just put it in airplane mode but then turned wifi and bluetooth back on. Hopefully this will make the battery last longer.
I think not having a cell connection may make it work harder.

I decided to root oreo into it. Had some problems, all because I didn't follow the instructions right.
Then I watched this video, really good, but long, but highly recommended if you want to root

The video roots nougat though, oreo is a little harder, but it's working fine now.
Oreo provides options to

And I thought I bricked the phone at one point. But I found some advice at https://forum.xda-developers.com/ and was able to revive it.
I'm pretty sure you can really screw up the rooting process, and still be able to bring a v20 back to life.

Oh, and its really fast, with really good wifi and bluetooth connections. Something daps don't seem to have.

Have only listened to it a little bit so far, mostly have been getting it setup. Sounds really good from what I can tell

Using UAPP, had bought it a long time ago. Great player for the v20.

Randy

Feb 18, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #4,022 of 4,141
Still have mine. Using it everyday.

Have 3 extra batteries plus a 400gb microSD for the music.

For extended trips I stick it with an external DAC/Amp for better experience.

Enjoy!

Feb 18, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #4,023 of 4,141

Enjoy!

What 400 gb card?
Was thinking about either a sandisk or samsung, wanted to make sure it would be compatible.

also realized I didn't finish my post
Was going to say really only reason to root to oreo is for bluetooth. Oreo lets you choose a codec. I can get ldac on my es100 now, but on my true wireless iems can only get aptx. There is an option for better sound quality on the es100, set that then you can go to developer options and set ldac and then ldac works.

Not sure why I don't see the sound quality option for the other bluetooth devices?
EDIT: Oops, it seems that aptx is the best true wireless can do.

Randy

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #4,024 of 4,141
Have a Sandisk Extreme that they had for a discount. As you can see on the product page they have also a 1Tb .

Feb 21, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #4,026 of 4,141

Enjoy!
I bought myself a 500 GB microSSD during the Xmas sales. That holds a LOT of music. I don't have it full yet. I'm going on a 10-day cruise in the fall, and I think the one card will hold more tunes than I would have time to listen to.

How are you connecting to an external DAC?

Feb 22, 2020 at 1:47 AM Post #4,027 of 4,141
@DougD

LG V20 running UAPP or Onkyo HF attached to -> LH Labs Revive (Black color, USB Regen/Reclock w/ battery) to -> LH Labs GO2Pro Signature SE-X (Red color, USB Dac) to -> Audio Zenith PMx2 ver 2.0 w/ Heimdall 2 (balanced)

Wp2RL8Nl.jpg

This is when I go out of town / extended trips. But on my everyday setup / commuting I just stick it with a 10 driver IEM (UM Mentor).

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #4,028 of 4,141
@DougD

LG V20 running UAPP or Onkyo HF attached to -> LH Labs Revive (Black color, USB Regen/Reclock w/ battery) to -> LH Labs GO2Pro Signature SE-X (Red color, USB Dac) to -> Audio Zenith PMx2 ver 2.0 w/ Heimdall 2 (balanced)

(px snipped)

This is when I go out of town / extended trips. But on my everyday setup / commuting I just stick it with a 10 driver IEM (UM Mentor).

Very nice. I use the Oppo PM-3s as my work & portable headphones. The Audio Zenith's were on my watch list as an upgrade but a bit out of my budget range at the time. (Although, surprisingly, it looks like some may still be available.)

Thanks for the info.

Mar 3, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #4,029 of 4,141
@DougD

Wp2RL8Nl.jpg

Isn't that setup bypassing the saber dac on the phone? What's the point of that? You could use any fone to do that. Extra power I'm sure but would you be better off just adding a simple amp on top of the fone's dac for that?

If find my V20 more than satisfy's me in terms of power for my HD650. Although they are not as hard to drive as some ppl think. I think they are something like 150ohms. I have a bespoke 300omhs unit and It drives them well too.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 2:15 AM Post #4,030 of 4,141
Isn't that setup bypassing the saber dac on the phone? What's the point of that? You could use any fone to do that. Extra power I'm sure but would you be better off just adding a simple amp on top of the fone's dac for that?

If find my V20 more than satisfy's me in terms of power for my HD650. Although they are not as hard to drive as some ppl think. I think they are something like 150ohms. I have a bespoke 300omhs unit and It drives them well too.

Yes indeed! That's the idea. It bypasses my phone's dac and using my phone as player only. With this setup, I can up SQ significantly by using a much better dac and amplifier. And, in this particular setup; cleaner usb signal and power by adding a reclock/regen (LH Revive, the black one) into the chain.

As said in my post, together w/ a much better HP, I use this for extended/out of town trips. Where I can enjoy music better.

I too have an old HD600. I just amazes me how the V20 could drive it to accepted levels and quality. Was using this combo before together w/ a Headstage 4T amplifier (that i stick w/ a slim 3M velcro adhesive on a spare case).

0BGvQmul.jpg

And for this, it made me drive to a decision to upgrade to the present setup...

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #4,031 of 4,141
I've been playing with the L20 H910 (ATT unlocked) phone I bought from epay.
Bought an open box one, but is was in a sealed box, and as far as I can tell it's brand new. :relaxed:
Using as a DAP, so now sim, I just ignore the missing sim message and it works fine.
Battery has been draining fast, so I just put it in airplane mode but then turned wifi and bluetooth back on. Hopefully this will make the battery last longer.
I think not having a cell connection may make it work harder.

I decided to root oreo into it. Had some problems, all because I didn't follow the instructions right.
Then I watched this video, really good, but long, but highly recommended if you want to root

The video roots nougat though, oreo is a little harder, but it's working fine now.
Oreo provides options to

And I thought I bricked the phone at one point. But I found some advice at https://forum.xda-developers.com/ and was able to revive it.
I'm pretty sure you can really screw up the rooting process, and still be able to bring a v20 back to life.

Oh, and its really fast, with really good wifi and bluetooth connections. Something daps don't seem to have.

Have only listened to it a little bit so far, mostly have been getting it setup. Sounds really good from what I can tell

Using UAPP, had bought it a long time ago. Great player for the v20.

Randy

Of course, you don't need to use UUAP because the dac isn't external. Poweramp will use the dac to its full capability as well, and others.

Apr 19, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #4,032 of 4,141
I also have an lg v20 with 10.500mah battery using it as a dap only.
Anyone advising some amplifier or dad to enhance and improve the sound quality overall?
I was honking at the powerdac v2 or 9038s...but I’m willing to explore other options as well, if hey are still portable enough and in a similar price range.
Iem: Tri i3, Shuoer Tape, Sehaf 150ohm, ry4s 300ohm, goldplanar gl20.

Apr 19, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #4,033 of 4,141
I also have an lg v20 with 10.500mah battery using it as a dap only.
Anyone advising some amplifier or dad to enhance and improve the sound quality overall?
I was honking at the powerdac v2 or 9038s...but I’m willing to explore other options as well, if hey are still portable enough and in a similar price range.
Iem: Tri i3, Shuoer Tape, Sehaf 150ohm, ry4s 300ohm, goldplanar gl20.
Where you found a 10.500mah battery?

Apr 19, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #4,034 of 4,141
Of course, you don't need to use UUAP because the dac isn't external. Poweramp will use the dac to its full capability as well, and others.

3 years ago I had this little test with some audio players in spectrograph to see how they fare...interesting is that some popular players are in the middle of the pack.
Link: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lg-v20-sound-quality.816024/page-144#post-13285367

Of course it was 3 years ago. Now (starting from spring of last year?) UAPP, Neutron and some had "Internal" HiRes drivers capable of directly accessing internal DACs and bypassing ASL. And, end of summer last year, UAPP had an MQA renderer. Not only does Tidal but Qobuz, Google Music, UPnP/DLNA servers, Shoutcast radio, NAS, etc. They have come along way now from just audio players w/ access to external dacs .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back