LG V20 Sound Quality
Apr 20, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #4,036 of 4,139
I bought the Esi100, can't find the way to connect it in BT Aptx mode, it goes only AAC.
Is there a way to change mode in the phone?

Ok, now is connecting as LDAC, is a lot better than AAC, don't know if Aptx is better.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #4,037 of 4,139
I am having trouble using Powerdac v2 (pdv2) with my LG V20.
i use the y split connected to lg and mobile battery bank (or wall socket) and otg cable connected to pdv2.
Led on pdv2 lights up, but lg doesn’t want to recognize the external dac thus playing music through speaker instead of the IEM connected to the pdv2.
One time, don’t know how, it worked, seemingly powered directly by lg without any power bank, but then I could not succeed in let it work again.
Anyone willing to help?

Jun 14, 2020 at 2:09 AM Post #4,038 of 4,139
Y cables are tricky. Wanted to use my DAC while charging my LG V20. Bought maybe 4-5 split cables (they always give power to the DAC like yours) until I have found that works. Later I found it somewhat cumbersome during my daily commute and ended up using LG V20 alone. Using this set-up only for extended trips.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #4,039 of 4,139
I am sad. My V20 has pretty much given up, the headphone jack only works intermittently and a glitch has appeared in the function for receiving text messages. I am retiring it. any tips as to what phone would be a good replacement with similar SQ?

Jun 15, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #4,042 of 4,139
The headphone jack is very easily replaceable and only costs a few bucks. Try a reset to stock for the text messages. Teh V30 and V40 probably have very nice sound but no replaceable battery. The V20 is the Volvo of phones. Easy to work on, cheap parts always available and unlimited power, if you are willing to carry a spare battery.

Jun 15, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #4,043 of 4,139
The headphone jack is very easily replaceable and only costs a few bucks. Try a reset to stock for the text messages. Teh V30 and V40 probably have very nice sound but no replaceable battery. The V20 is the Volvo of phones. Easy to work on, cheap parts always available and unlimited power, if you are willing to carry a spare battery.

Thanks, how do I replace the headphone jack?

Jun 15, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #4,044 of 4,139
Really easy. https://www.witrigs.com/oem-headphone-jack-flex-for-lg-v20
Theoretically the screws holding the motherboard are different lengths but I didn't maintain the differences. The whole LCD screen replacement is only a little more complex. With all the spare parts available and the evolving battery tech, this phone can last forever.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #4,045 of 4,139
Really easy. https://www.witrigs.com/oem-headphone-jack-flex-for-lg-v20
Theoretically the screws holding the motherboard are different lengths but I didn't maintain the differences. The whole LCD screen replacement is only a little more complex. With all the spare parts available and the evolving battery tech, this phone can last forever.

Many thanks. I am going to try my hand at replacing the headphone jack but I will retire this from use as a phone.

Jun 21, 2020 at 4:41 AM Post #4,046 of 4,139
Jun 21, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #4,047 of 4,139
The LG V20 is awesome if you overlook it's dis-similarities to other phones. It doesn't upgrade it's OS beyond 8, no security patches, screen burn in when the screen is off, the audio abilities seem really confusing to people and it will never be an IPhone. Beyond that ,it is the best phone ever made (IMHO it is an endgame for playing music on something you can make calls with 8*).

Jul 7, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #4,048 of 4,139
Thanks for sharing this! That repair did look easy. :)
A couple of weeks after seeing this, my LCD started to get bonkers. It got white lines and edges, washed out colors, and random touchscreen inputs after being unlocked. A few minutes on mid to high brightness it gets better with only the edges being washed out. Now I checked out the screen replacement and that is more complicated... So I will be retiring my V20 as my main phone.

Jul 19, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #4,049 of 4,139
Somehow my V20 is still trucking along on the original battery. I've been considering an upgrade, but it appears that LG has departed too far from what I liked, which was the great DAC/Amp, and user-replaceable battery. The battery life was always garbage so I'm investigating a bigger replacement on amazon (suggestions welcome!). However, if another LG Vn0 phone had been made with a replaceable battery of substantially higher capacity and same/similar sound signature and SQ, I would upgrade to that. Too bad really.

Personally, I still use PowerAmp - the beta version that finally added Hi-res DAC output support. It's a little weird, because I can only make it up-sample everything to 24/192, but my few hi-res tracks are at least actually using the hires DAC now. Regardless Poweramp on the V20 has always sounded great on 16/44.1 - flat as a ruler and detailed AF.

Edit - Oh yeah, I finally upgraded to a 512 GB card, so now I finally have my entire lossless collection on the phone completely filling the card. Sadly that's still not enough room to also have all my MP3's on the phone that I have not replaced with lossless files, because that is another 400-500GB ... lol

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #4,050 of 4,139
I think there are tutorials on YouTube showing how to replace batteries on LG V30 and upper versions. What I really liked about v20, beside sound quality, was the big 16:9 ratio screen. Very good image. Unfortunately it gets slow thru the years even if I think it has Android 9 updates now if I correctly remember.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back