LG V20 Sound Quality
Aug 20, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #4,051 of 4,141
Hi guys,
anyone on pairing it with a Sennheiser HD 599 (and the 599 with a Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 which is using the same headamp)?

Oct 9, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #4,052 of 4,141
Somehow my V20 is still trucking along on the original battery. I've been considering an upgrade, but it appears that LG has departed too far from what I liked, which was the great DAC/Amp, and user-replaceable battery. The battery life was always garbage so I'm investigating a bigger replacement on amazon (suggestions welcome!). However, if another LG Vn0 phone had been made with a replaceable battery of substantially higher capacity and same/similar sound signature and SQ, I would upgrade to that. Too bad really.

Personally, I still use PowerAmp - the beta version that finally added Hi-res DAC output support. It's a little weird, because I can only make it up-sample everything to 24/192, but my few hi-res tracks are at least actually using the hires DAC now. Regardless Poweramp on the V20 has always sounded great on 16/44.1 - flat as a ruler and detailed AF.

Edit - Oh yeah, I finally upgraded to a 512 GB card, so now I finally have my entire lossless collection on the phone completely filling the card. Sadly that's still not enough room to also have all my MP3's on the phone that I have not replaced with lossless files, because that is another 400-500GB ... lol

I do not have any power issues with the V20.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32791634456.html <----- This one has the same capacity as the original (in fact it is better)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32957219050.html <------ This one is the same brand but lasts 25% longer avg. It is slightly thicker and makes the back bulge ever so slightly and makes the device a bit heavier. I can confirm it does last at least 25% longer. I have 2 of them.

Also, I charge the second battery is a second v20, fully changed in a hour, excellent as a backup :)

No reason at all to have battery issues with the V20 - the last top phone to have a removable battery.

Btw, every fone battery will start to diminish in longevity after a year or so and defiantly by 2 years all depending on your personal usage.

Replacing the battery in the V30 is not quite as easy as the V20 :) Plus the V30 has the headphone jack on the top right which for me is horrible. I would go for the v40 as an upgrade as the jack is back on the bottom, where it should be. And I have no intention of doing that either as overall I'd still prefer the V20 for it's features.

Get those battery now, they used to be more than twice the rice on amazon when they stocked them and they are currently on discount as you can see in the links I provided.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #4,053 of 4,141
I think there are tutorials on YouTube showing how to replace batteries on LG V30 and upper versions. What I really liked about v20, beside sound quality, was the big 16:9 ratio screen. Very good image. Unfortunately it gets slow thru the years even if I think it has Android 9 updates now if I correctly remember.

slow? nope. still on original fw with orignal root. perhaps clean your os cache and some of the game/app caches.

i am on my 3rd battery and it's still kinda fresh. i still have 2 more. my v20 is still going strong. when i listen my dt 770 250s i pair it with C5D d/a. i occasionally pair it with my kz zsx or he100 or h3 but aside from hp use it also it gets used as a dap for JBL bt speakers. the back of the lg v20 is one of my favorite as it's comfortable even for how wide it is. i hate the screen though. i tweaked it to something that looks decent but i wish it was OLED.

gotta thank LG for putting out the LG v20 and being the black sheep at the time. i believe exynos samsungs were the rage that had good wolfson chips in them and swap batteries. i am glad i am just a wannabe audiophile. i like listening to music more than hardware. if it weren't for the es100 i would still be wired exclusively. i imagine i will get the qudelix one day as i like both ak and ess.

anywyas, just throwing my 2 cents in. v20 is still rocking it. if the es100 provided a good line out to my amps the v20 might be collecting dust.

Oct 29, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #4,054 of 4,141
i did the 16 bit tweak. it actually did make a positive difference. are there any more tweaks?

since my interest is renewed recently i've been trying to lean up my v20 as much as possible. it was already still running smooth and continues to do so even though still android 7.

if any of you care, i'm sure you know the lg v20 had a crap screen. if it had been much higher quality as far as color accu, contrast and the crap burn in, which i think is temporary but annoying nonetheless. i turned the black/white feature on in display settings. the screen is contrasty enough it works for anybody wanting someting different, a little retro and if any enthusiast notices the b/w screen probably gonna wonder what the hell DAP you have with a black/white screen almost as big as e reader.

Nov 5, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #4,055 of 4,141
wow. i am talking to myself. the screen is bad but the contrast and off angle are not that bad. i know a few tricks so it's bearable but i can't believe a PHONE just over 4 years old still sounds great and is still being used. it was like a free DAP when i got my note 9. i need spare parts for the hard wire nut in me. i also need a qudelix to add to 4 es100s. my v20 runs almost as smooth as pie in case y'all were wondering. i forgot the tweaks i did back in the day which were probably optimization and customization and i just took it another level. probably smoothest running DAP out there with biggest screen.

Nov 5, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #4,056 of 4,141
Still using my V20 as my phone and DAP after getting a Wubatec 10,500mAh huge a*s battery. It's been 4 years already since I got this phone. I successfully rooted it using DirtySanta and now runs LineageOS 16. There's LOS 18 already but I don't want to risk having too many bugs at this early stage.

Btw, Hi-Res toggle is gone for this particular OS but haven't noticed any degradation in sound. Maybe until I can compare with a stock version I'll know for certain.

Nov 8, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #4,058 of 4,141
i did the 16 bit tweak. it actually did make a positive difference. are there any more tweaks?

since my interest is renewed recently i've been trying to lean up my v20 as much as possible. it was already still running smooth and continues to do so even though still android 7.

if any of you care, i'm sure you know the lg v20 had a crap screen. if it had been much higher quality as far as color accu, contrast and the crap burn in, which i think is temporary but annoying nonetheless. i turned the black/white feature on in display settings. the screen is contrasty enough it works for anybody wanting someting different, a little retro and if any enthusiast notices the b/w screen probably gonna wonder what the hell DAP you have with a black/white screen almost as big as e reader.
Can you please tell me more on the 16bit trick? Thanks

Nov 9, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #4,060 of 4,141
Nov 25, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #4,061 of 4,141
It's been a while since I moved to a newer device (Xiaomi 9t pro) so I decided to use the V20 as a cheap DAP. Lineage 17.1 + forced high impedance mode and a juicy 6400mAh make this device awesome for this purpose, I sincerly don't think that there could be a Better DAP in the low-range (<300$)

Newest Lineage official

pXZKT60.jpg

With Quad Dac working like the stock

CBjBdeQ.jpg

If anyone is interested I've written a guide about how to flash the latest Lineage on the cheapest V20 you can find on Ali (about 80€), the F800, plus High impedance mode and other tweaks to improve performance and make it a perfect DAP -> Make the LG v20 the perfect DAP

Nov 25, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #4,062 of 4,141
It's been a while since I moved to a newer device (Xiaomi 9t pro) so I decided to use the V20 as a cheap DAP. Lineage 17.1 + forced high impedance mode and a juicy 6400mAh make this device awesome for this purpose, I sincerly don't think that there could be a Better DAP in the low-range (<300$)

Newest Lineage official

pXZKT60.jpg

With Quad Dac working like the stock

CBjBdeQ.jpg

If anyone is interested I've written a guide about how to flash the latest Lineage on the cheapest V20 you can find on Ali (about 80€), the F800, plus High impedance mode and other tweaks to improve performance and make it a perfect DAP -> Make the LG v20 the perfect DAP

ciao,I’m interested in updating my LG V20 to lineage 17.1.
Do you think your guide works also with the F800K version with Android 9.0 installed.
Or anything to be performed differently?
Thanks

p.s. can’t find LGup 1.04 at the link you mention in the article.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 3:12 AM Post #4,063 of 4,141
ciao,I’m interested in updating my LG V20 to lineage 17.1.
Do you think your guide works also with the F800K version with Android 9.0 installed.
Or anything to be performed differently?
Thanks

p.s. can’t find LGup 1.04 at the link you mention in the article.
With F800k the guide should be the same. It's 1.14, mistype in the guide, just fixed

Nov 26, 2020 at 3:24 AM Post #4,064 of 4,141
With F800k the guide should be the same. It's 1.14, mistype in the guide, just fixed
Thanks.
Successfully downgraded to nougat, but can’t root following the xda link (stuck at step 3).
think I have written on your thread in Reddit. If you can support (are you Italian?)

Nov 26, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #4,065 of 4,141
Thanks.
Successfully downgraded to nougat, but can’t root following the xda link (stuck at step 3).
think I have written on your thread in Reddit. If you can support (are you Italian?)

just read the thread and curious to make sure what v20 version you have. there are a couple versions you need to be wary of and follow their own separate guides. one is the H918 T-Mobile model like I have and there are more limitations vis a vis flashing stuff. the other version, sprint or verizon I think had serious radio issues or something if you no pay attention to details. everything I just said could be old hat news but I don't think the H918 advice is. I am curious about lineage OS flash on my v20 if it works on H918 and see if battery life better overall with google and lg mostly out of the code. as is now, with the screen on, depending on brightess i get 4-7h playtime. screen off, too much to quantify but definitely more than 24h.

anybody here flashed lineage OS and used the v20 as a dedicated DAP and could quantify anything? i'm sure gcam works right? the version with night sight? upgrading to stock lg oreo just so you could have night sight was not advised. i haven't read much on lineage but it is successor to cyanogenmod and still spiritually taking on the Open Source route as much as feasibly possible?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back