LG V20 Sound Quality
Aug 27, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #2,822 of 4,141
The difference in purity in the upper frequencies is obvious to me when playing the same file through the path that does SRC and one that doesn't.

Bingo! While the frequency response spectrum may not be affected - there is an immersion lost and it's no longer as realistic as the pure stream. I don't know if this is due to SRC itself or Android's interpolation. Either way - it is obvious to me as well, especially in the reverb and cymbal decay.

Aug 27, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #2,823 of 4,141
I agree in general and it is really tricky to try and get pure sound you have to jump through some hoops with the v20. But once you find something that works it actually is somewhat decent and nothing will get close to the utility of the phone itself. If you read out on these recent posts anything that can be played using the native mediaplayer API will be played using the native frequency and bit depth without SRC. We know that Player Pro does this correctly when the DSP pack is not used. Also Bubbleupnp local renderer does as well. Not sure about tidal. As far as I know this is a custom tweak to the v20 mediaplayer to work with the ESS 9218 Android driver. The difference in purity in the upper frequencies is obvious to me when playing the same file through the path that does SRC and one that doesn't.
Would you please share the custom mediaplayer that even 16 bit music can use the chip directly with no SRC Thanks

Aug 27, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #2,825 of 4,141
Sorry for any confusion. Nothing to provide that isn't there. Somehow the LGv20 Stock Firmware/HW, when using the native Mediaplayer(API in android) (any app can call that is so written), bypasses android SRC conversion and is handed off to the Quad DAC for decode. . The custom aspect of this is somehow LG and ESS has done something to make this happen. Thus there maybe custom code in the android libraries for this platform to enable this support. You can google to read about this in much more detail in other threads and topics. Somebody involved with the code and probably explain much better what was done and how it works. All we know is it works, and that is good for providing Hi-Fi playback without SRC or bit truncation.

Jim

Aug 29, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #2,826 of 4,141
guys,

so i went and did the adb thing (adb shell dumpsys media.audio_flinger) with a 32 bit 384khz WAV file and for some reason the sample rate does show up but not in its normal place (not under DIRECT in "sample rate : 384000 hz" but it just appeared somewhere, and as for the bit depth, well I did not see "pcm32" but instead i got pcm24. is it the bit depth dropping?

with 32 bit 192kHz WAV same thing but the sample rate at least shows

and as for flac, anything over 24/192 doesn't play

Aug 29, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #2,827 of 4,141
guys,

so i went and did the adb thing (adb shell dumpsys media.audio_flinger) with a 32 bit 384khz WAV file and for some reason the sample rate does show up but not in its normal place (not under DIRECT in "sample rate : 384000 hz" but it just appeared somewhere, and as for the bit depth, well I did not see "pcm32" but instead i got pcm24. is it the bit depth dropping?

with 32 bit 192kHz WAV same thing but the sample rate at least shows

and as for flac, anything over 24/192 doesn't play

I do think the android 9218 driver has limitations.. what they are I dont know, but I do think it is 24/96 based on some testing the developer of Player Pro did. Nevertheless, it is pretty cool we can play most everything, including most typical hi-res files natively.

Aug 30, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #2,828 of 4,141
Sorry for any confusion. Nothing to provide that isn't there. Somehow the LGv20 Stock Firmware/HW, when using the native Mediaplayer(API in android) (any app can call that is so written), bypasses android SRC conversion and is handed off to the Quad DAC for decode. . The custom aspect of this is somehow LG and ESS has done something to make this happen. Thus there maybe custom code in the android libraries for this platform to enable this support. You can google to read about this in much more detail in other threads and topics. Somebody involved with the code and probably explain much better what was done and how it works. All we know is it works, and that is good for providing Hi-Fi playback without SRC or bit truncation.

Jim
that only happens for hi-res content.

for 16bit content you need to modify build.prop to enable it (which should be enabled by default in Qualcomm baseline code, have no idea why LG choose to disable it in their ROM)

Aug 30, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #2,829 of 4,141
Can someone please give me a reason to use the V20 wired?
I bought the Sony mdr-1000x, at the same time that I bought the V20. they are my first over ear headphones that I own.
For my ears, there is a very small difference between the wired and wireless mode, so I stay with the wireless mode because it's more convenient, but a voice in my head keeps telling me that maybe I should buy better headphones to really enjoy the DAC inside the V20.
Am I crazy? 'Cause the 1000x are supposed to be great headphones, but I had no chance to compare them to other headphones.

Aug 30, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #2,830 of 4,141
The Sony is 1 of the better NC headphones. Allways keep in mind that a similar priced non NC sounds better. Because they both serve a different purpose.

I myself decided to not go for the Sony but buy the Oppo PM3. They are over the ear also and cancel out noise rather well.

Aug 30, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #2,831 of 4,141
The Sony is 1 of the better NC headphones. Allways keep in mind that a similar priced non NC sounds better. Because they both serve a different purpose.

I myself decided to not go for the Sony but buy the Oppo PM3. They are over the ear also and cancel out noise rather well.
Thanks for your input Paul.
Did you get a chance to compare between the both?

I mainly use them on tye way to work and back, so NC is a nice feature for that use, but sound quality is my first priority.

Aug 30, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #2,832 of 4,141
Thanks for your input Paul.
Did you get a chance to compare between the both?

I mainly use them on tye way to work and back, so NC is a nice feature for that use, but sound quality is my first priority.

I have the PM-3s ( and far to many others) and I have briefly listened to the Sonys. It is always personal, but the PM-3s are significantly better than the Sonys to me. But then after that I migrated to the Audeze Sines, and they are different again, and I think a little better. Of course I could only do that because the Sines can only be driven well by the V20 in high impedance mode, as they are not sensitive. I kept the PM-3s as I like their comfort, isolation and they are still great.

So my advice is: if you are happy, enjoy you Sonys, as I just blew $1100 on the AKG K872 for using with my phone...

Aug 30, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #2,834 of 4,141
that only happens for hi-res content.

for 16bit content you need to modify build.prop to enable it (which should be enabled by default in Qualcomm baseline code, have no idea why LG choose to disable it in their ROM)

build.prop or media_profiles.xml? you mean
audio.offload.pcm.16bit.enable=true
?

i did that. it does sound better. do you know any other build.prop mods?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back