LG V20 Sound Quality
Nov 26, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #4,066 of 4,141
just read the thread and curious to make sure what v20 version you have. there are a couple versions you need to be wary of and follow their own separate guides. one is the H918 T-Mobile model like I have and there are more limitations vis a vis flashing stuff. the other version, sprint or verizon I think had serious radio issues or something if you no pay attention to details. everything I just said could be old hat news but I don't think the H918 advice is. I am curious about lineage OS flash on my v20 if it works on H918 and see if battery life better overall with google and lg mostly out of the code. as is now, with the screen on, depending on brightess i get 4-7h playtime. screen off, too much to quantify but definitely more than 24h.

anybody here flashed lineage OS and used the v20 as a dedicated DAP and could quantify anything? i'm sure gcam works right? the version with night sight? upgrading to stock lg oreo just so you could have night sight was not advised. i haven't read much on lineage but it is successor to cyanogenmod and still spiritually taking on the Open Source route as much as feasibly possible?
He has written he has F800K, I'm helping him via PM. Static screen is normal.

Gcam works right, ofc the version with night sight since it's android 10. Yes lineage is the successor of Cyanogen so the rom is very similar to Stock android and so very lightweight and fast.

Dec 20, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #4,068 of 4,141
just tested UAPP on V20, and it behaved quite interestingly...

for 16/44 content:
it will output as 32bit pcmfloat format in 44k without SRC, but volume control is done in 16bit without dither. resulting in not much different quality as most generic players, and worse than poweramp.

for 24bit content:
sometimes it does the same as above, including the 16bit volume control, resulting in significantly worse quality than most generic players.
sometimes it outputs to 16/48 mixer path, also resulting in significantly worse quality than most generic players.

it played so much complicated tricks yet the result is not satisfactory, such a pity...it has a chance to achieve the best quality for all contents but it did the opposite...

I'm dredging up an old comment about UAPP. Does anyone know if the issues outlined by user:eio have been addressed and corrected by UAPP's dev?

Dec 26, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #4,069 of 4,141
I'm dredging up an old comment about UAPP. Does anyone know if the issues outlined by user:eio have been addressed and corrected by UAPP's dev?

don't quote me on this as I could be wrong but the last few weeks I have seen people mention UAPP and Poweramp are best for bit perfect playback, but I don't remember specifically if v20 was supported. I think so because I believe poweramp was the first to support v20 dac proper. I have seen mixed opinions on neutron. I use poweramp mostly, and neutron when I don't need to mess with UI much and just let it play. I don't have UAPP. does what you mentioned have anything to do with the 16 bit tweak in build.prop also?

Dec 30, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #4,070 of 4,141
V20 has different sound signature than v30 and for sure compared to v40 which is tuned by meridian. Both sound very well. So if you want same sound, search for another v20.
How does the sound change from V20 to V30 precisely? I can't find comparisons.

Otherwise it works like V30, with the high gain activated with headphones of more than 50 ohm?

Jan 1, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #4,072 of 4,141
How does the sound change from V20 to V30 precisely? I can't find comparisons.

Otherwise it works like V30, with the high gain activated with headphones of more than 50 ohm?

I have no point of personal reference either. best I can tell from what I read is until Meridian took over they all sounded similar. mixed reviews on lg tuned and meridian tuned.

tbh, at this point you're looking at the v20 more because of the battery and flat rectangle, rather than sealed fragile candy bar. if music is first up there with battery swap, then lg v20 for sure. but if you're concerned about the crappy but serviceable lcd and prefer OLED then v30 or later might be your cup of tea. if I bought used though, I have a harder time swallowing 3rd party battery swaps. the picures and videos of expanded phones from batteries is ridiculous.

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #4,074 of 4,141
Sorry but I'm not an expert, is it possible to put a bigger and longer battery on LG V20? Anyone do it? If it can be done, you can recommend a suitable one from Amazon or AliExpress.
I had an extended capacity battery, which after a year or so of use came down with extremely swollen belly disease, which made me nervous. So I replaced that with a std size/capacity battery, which has worked flawlessy, so far. (Shenmz 4200 mAh, from Amazon, which had good ratings.) For longer usage, if I had to do it again, I would tend to either buy 2 of the std batteries, or just use one of the very cheap and common USB external battery/recharger units.

Jan 11, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #4,075 of 4,141
Sorry but I'm not an expert, is it possible to put a bigger and longer battery on LG V20? Anyone do it? If it can be done, you can recommend a suitable one from Amazon or AliExpress.

i believe there is 4100mah, 8200mah and some 10xxx variant. mixed reviews on all brands. seems the smaller capacity is safer but with all, probably max 1 year use.

you all do know that LG.com is still selling the OEM battery? i believe there are 3 or 4 phones that used the OEM LG battery and that's why LG still has them. $40 though. i still have 2 OEM batteries left and the one I am using is still pretty healthy. I have my v20 stripped down so much and power efficient I don't have to charge everyday or every listening session. I only use as a DAP/mini tab now.

Sep 8, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #4,076 of 4,141
Hi guys,
use my V20 as DAP but is it possible to use it as digital source to feed an USB DAC?

Sep 8, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #4,077 of 4,141
Sure! I use USB Audio Player Pro.

Oct 8, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #4,079 of 4,141
Oct 9, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #4,080 of 4,141
I have a desktop head-amp I wanted to use in office, hence my music in a digital can. Anyway, the USB DAC part of the headamp neing powered by the USB itslef it's not possible.
Still using my V20, looks like new and works flawlessly. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back