LFF's Enigma (new from the maker of the Paradox)
Apr 22, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #316 of 633

The problem seems to be with the sliders not holding their position after they are taken off. I never found this to be a problem personally since I almost always re-adjust my headphone before, during, and after use - ever since day 1 of this hobby. That said, I know a few of you guys don't like it. I aim to please so I'm working on a few things that might solve that problem for you all. 

If and when I find a good solution, I'll let you know.

Luis, thank you for the prompt support, as usual.

Look forward to hearing from my Enigma. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 22, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #317 of 633
  He actually got 3 different models I make.  I think he preferred the sound signature of the others over the Enigma. As I have said many times before, I know my headphones aren't for everyone which I why I offer different models and even those three models might not fit the bill for someone. The Paradox, Slant, the OOP Code-X and the Enigma all sound different. Same with ice cream....some people like vanilla, some like strawberry, some love chocolate and some want pistachio.  
normal_smile%20.gif

Well... I LIKE 'em ALL!!!!!! :p

Apr 22, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #318 of 633
The Mjolnir is pretty good with the Enigma. I've been using Geek Out 1000 > Mjonir > Enigma at my desk and it's a solid combo. Better than the Geek Out 1000 by itself.

Apr 22, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #319 of 633
  I'm interested to hear what amps you guys find to work best with the Enigmas. I agree with MF that the vali and uha-6s work very well for them but unfortunately I don't have any high-end amps. I'm tempted to pick up the mjolnir on the FS here but I'm not sure if it's really worth the upg.

Seems to pair better with transistor from my experience. I tried the new Matrix M-Stage and that was a great pairing for on the cheap. So far, the Krell Klone seems to be the nicest I've heard the Enigma.

Apr 22, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #320 of 633
Huh? He got the first ones and sold them?

@Frank - Yea, I went buck wild and bought three different sets of phones from Luis. After A/B/C tests the Enigma was just my least favorite. That isn't to say the headphone was incredibly good sounding and comfortable. I just already have a romantic sounding headphone with the LCD-3. I needed a close headphone for when I'm working to isolate noise, went with the Slants because they suit better is all. 

Apr 22, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #321 of 633

@Frank - Yea, I went buck wild and bought three different sets of phones from Luis. After A/B/C tests the Enigma was just my least favorite. That isn't to say the headphone was incredibly good sounding and comfortable. I just already have a romantic sounding headphone with the LCD-3. I needed a close headphone for when I'm working to isolate noise, went with the Slants because they suit better is all. 

What do you find are the differences between the Slants and the Enigmas.  I find the Slants to be incredibly well balanced with virtually no character of their own other than a hint of warmth and just a touch of extra bass punch and snap which I really enjoy.  Soundstage can be quite large when it is in the recordings..  this is especially true when I watch movies with them.   They are very much like wearing a set of really good loudspeakers.  Far more that way then Grado RS1's I owned years ago.  Haven't done much with headphones over the years.  Circumstances
dictate that now until I get back into a larger place and things are going better.   Last really good speakers I owned were the Talon Audio Khorus run with Meshplate triodes.   Honestly these sound nearly as big and are slightly more resolving of details.  Stuff they bring out blows my mind.  Hearing subleties and counter beats in music I was never previously aware of.

Which other one of Luis' masterpieces do you own and how does that compare?  Would love to have a pair of enigmas as well, but money 
has to go into  amps and finishing up my music server.

Happy Listening,

jgwtriode

Apr 22, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #322 of 633
Everyone js forgetting his super rare and wonderful code-x :wink:

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #323 of 633
These sound quite a bit like the HD580/600 to me except they have way better bass extension and a bit less upper mid energy. The Enigma is also less intimate and more spacious (which I like -- especially since it's closed).

Oh, and did I mention they look amazing?

Apr 25, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #324 of 633
With all the 'controversy' regarding the Enigma's headband, I had to laugh, today on the train to work I saw a guy wearing headphones where the headband pad was PINK BUBBLEWRAP!

Now don't get me wrong, it was nicely applied, held in place with precisely spaced thick rubber bands of some sort and I am NOT putting this down. I actually like the sheer proletarian vitality of this. But it does put the alleged "cut up belt" in perspective...

Close to pulling the trigger on the Enigmas, just kind of hate to order something sight unheard (?). I would be buying this as my primary full-sized can, so I do have to consider the alternative flagships. It would also be my first modern ortho, so a lot to consider.

Kevin

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #325 of 633
  These sound quite a bit like the HD580/600 to me except they have way better bass extension and a bit less upper mid energy. The Enigma is also less intimate and more spacious (which I like -- especially since it's closed).

That's doubly amazing. Aren't the HD 600 already known for being easy on the highs? And spacious enough, given they're open.

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #326 of 633
  With all the 'controversy' regarding the Enigma's headband, I had to laugh, today on the train to work I saw a guy wearing headphones where the headband pad was PINK BUBBLEWRAP!

Now don't get me wrong, it was nicely applied, held in place with precisely spaced thick rubber bands of some sort and I am NOT putting this down. I actually like the sheer proletarian vitality of this. But it does put the alleged "cut up belt" in perspective...

Close to pulling the trigger on the Enigmas, just kind of hate to order something sight unheard (?). I would be buying this as my primary full-sized can, so I do have to consider the alternative flagships. It would also be my first modern ortho, so a lot to consider.

Kevin

The bubble wrap headband would be awesome to see.

Regarding the Enigmas, realize I only had about 10 minutes with them, but did compare directly to my Alpha Dogs - The Enigma is a really great headphone.  Definitely top tier.  Louis has a great ear, and is a great craftsman as well.  I personally liked the sound of the Alphas just a bit better at that listening.  I think there are a couple of reasons for this.  1) Dan @ Mr. Speakers and I seem to like a very similar voicing.  I love the sound of his headphones, and we have a couple of other favorites in common.  2) Familiarity.  10 minutes is not enough to switch gears.  That said, The Enigmas have a "cool factor" that few headphones can touch.  They sound great (and they sound *right*, as do all of Louis' headphones), and they are a one off build by a skilled and respected head-fier and sound engineer.  As soon as I have the asking price burning a hole in my pocket, I'll try and get a pair.

The Enigmas are top tier in sound.  The build quality is excellent hand crafted work.  There are a slew of top tier competitors, all mass produced to some degree or other.  That is part of the choice as well.

As always, imho, ymmv, bfd, oicurmt...

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #327 of 633
There is no confirmation anywhere (that I can find) that this headphone is an ortho. I've asked Luis a few times and he's keeping it to himself for now, understandable.

The HD600 does not have a treble issue at all IMO. In fact, I find this common diagnosis to be very silly. They sound very pleasing and crisp, not veiled at all, when played through a decent amp. The Enigma isn't as forward with its upper mids which makes the highs seem more prominent than on the HD600 but that isn't to say the highs aren't extended and smooth on the HD600. Also, the HD600 is a very intimate headphone, not very spacious sounding for being open.

Apr 25, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #329 of 633
I kept asking about other colors of the Enigma that were coming out (I have some coworkers who are enamored with the cans) and look what I was able to cajole out of LFF!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back