Leckerton Audio Slimline UHA-4
Apr 3, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #46 of 1,075
Hello and thanks for all the replies.
I think that this UHA4 would be a very good choice for me (Westone UM3-X).
The Pico Slim was very tempting too but I've seen on this forum that it has some drawbacks : it makes a loud "pop" when turned on or off and maybe some hiss with high sensitivity IEMs...

Apr 3, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #47 of 1,075
Comparison to the Arrow was made earlier but essentially, while the Arrow has even more features and slimmer size, it still costs almost twice as much now with the price increase, has a long wait, and no DAC.  Most importantly, SQ wise, the Leckerton UHA-4 is a more musical and enjoyable amp whereas the Arrow is quite dry and all of the TTVJ, Shadow and UHA-4 offer better/more enjoyable SQ.

I have not tried the UHA-4 with full size phones but this amp is intended for portable use mainly (although it does a very fine job as a DAC attached to a  computer) so full size phones probably are not the intended match for it.  Since it has a gain switch though, it is probably capable of driving certain full size phones but for specific ones it's probably best to ask Nick at Leckerton or see if someone else has tried such combo around here.

To correct earlier statement, the UHA-4 DOES work with the iPad but as an AMP ONLY either through a line out or the headphone out BUT NOT as a DAC through a USB out via a camera connection kit.

Apr 4, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #48 of 1,075

Quote:
Comparison to the Arrow was made earlier but essentially, while the Arrow has even more features and slimmer size, it still costs almost twice as much now with the price increase, has a long wait, and no DAC.  Most importantly, SQ wise, the Leckerton UHA-4 is a more musical and enjoyable amp whereas the Arrow is quite dry and all of the TTVJ, Shadow and UHA-4 offer better/more enjoyable SQ.

I don't know about that.  From my readings most people seem to like the Arrow more than the Shadow for SQ.  I also think the Arrow is more neutral than dry.  I wonder what you think the DACPort or Stepdance sounds like if the Arrow is 'dry'.   

Apr 4, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #49 of 1,075
I was AB'ing my 1964 ears quads against my D7000's.  The quads hiss from my headroom UDA, so I set up as fair a test as I could:

iPhone streaming to airport express, optical into the Headroom UDA, pre-out into the Leckerton UHA-4, and volume matched with the Leckerton as well as I could.

The UHA-4 did my D7000's justice!  On low gain on both, plenty of volume for a good AB.  Sure the D7000's sound just a bit better from the UDA - I hope so, that is a $2.2K rig!  It is not anywhere near 15 times better, though.  The little UHA-4 did a great job with both.  I haven't tried the high gain setting with the D7000's yet, may not get around to it unless someone REALLY wants me to...

I also spent some time with the dac this morning - macbook pro to UHA-4 via USB, into the quads.  Really, really nice!  Great sound stage - I was listening to Mozart Requiem and the Benedictine Chant stuff to test drive the Quads on classical.  The Leckerton is one heck of an overachiever, and so are the 1964 Ears quads.  A little "new toy-itis?" Oh absolutely.  I am committed to the quads, they are customs - I better be happy with them.  The UHA-4 though, if it didn't suit my needs very well, it would be gone now.  There are LOTS of good portable amps out there.  Hope that helps out a bit for anyone considering one.  Note that I had a Pico Dac/Amp, and have heard the Pico Slim.  I was planning to go to one or the other again if the Leckerton didn't pan out.  I am quite happy with the UHA-4.

Apr 4, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #50 of 1,075

Quote:

I don't know about that.  From my readings most people seem to like the Arrow more than the Shadow for SQ.  I also think the Arrow is more neutral than dry.  I wonder what you think the DACPort or Stepdance sounds like if the Arrow is 'dry'.   

For my needs, the Leckerton is far better than the Arrow, but note for my needs - quiet listening with sensitive IEM's.  The Arrow is a heck of an amp with my D7000's.  It gave my headroom a decent run.  It just doesn't do what I need, and the Leckerton does.  As to sound of the Arrow, maybe not dry, but pretty close to wire with gain sterile, which is what an amp out to do.

Apr 4, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #51 of 1,075

Quote:

For my needs, the Leckerton is far better than the Arrow, but note for my needs - quiet listening with sensitive IEM's.  The Arrow is a heck of an amp with my D7000's.  It gave my headroom a decent run.  It just doesn't do what I need, and the Leckerton does.  As to sound of the Arrow, maybe not dry, but pretty close to wire with gain sterile, which is what an amp out to do.

Yes, I remember your bat hearing dealing w/ the channel imbalance on the Arrow.  
tongue.gif

Apr 4, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #52 of 1,075
The Centrance DACport is a fantastic amp/dac and it's SQ cannot be faulted. Yet, it is not portable due to lack of battery and its price is rather outrageous especially compared to the UHA-4.. So, the UHA-4 wins again.

I have not heard the Stepdance but its form factor and price and lack of DAC and rechargeable battery are all minuses compared to the Leckerton. Is the Leckerton the best amp ever then? Don't know but it is a great amp at an even greater price and has ended the search for the "One".. It simply does all i need it to do and lacks nothing obvious. Just like the MTPC did for phones. That's quite an achievement having gone through multiple amps, dacs and phones. Finally, I can enjoy the music without worrying whether my equipment is sufficient or I overpaid for something and look for ways to squash buyer's remorse.

Apr 4, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #53 of 1,075

Quote:
The Centrance DACport is a fantastic amp/dac and it's SQ cannot be faulted. Yet, it is not portable due to lack of battery and its price is rather outrageous especially compared to the UHA-4.. So, the UHA-4 wins again.

I have not heard the Stepdance but its form factor and price and lack of DAC and rechargeable battery are all minuses compared to the Leckerton. Is the Leckerton the best amp ever then? Don't know but it is a great amp at an even greater price and has ended the search for the "One".. It simply does all i need it to do and lacks nothing obvious. Just like the MTPC did for phones. That's quite an achievement having gone through multiple amps, dacs and phones. Finally, I can enjoy the music without worrying whether my equipment is sufficient or I overpaid for something and look for ways to squash buyer's remorse.

I would not say this amp is better than Stepdance ONLY based on the type of battery it uses. Get a Stepdance, listen to it for some time and then decide.

Apr 4, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #54 of 1,075
There are a bunch of amps out there with equal or better sound quality, especially with full size cans.  There are far fewer out there that are good with sensitive iems.  The Pico Slim, Tomahawk, even the Pico DAC/AMP, though the whole volume travel thing rears it's head again wth the regular Pico.  The Pico has a really good volume pot, though. The Leckerton UHA-4 has the perfect for me blend of LOW gain, great digital volume, nice dac, decent form factor, great sound quality and a high value price.  Plus, it's my new toy, and I always get new toy-itis!

Apr 4, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #55 of 1,075
No need to get a Stepdance or any other amp for me - the UHA-4 does everything I need it to do at a MOST COMPETITIVE PRICE and sounds fantastic with my equipment.  The Stepdance may be a great amp in its own right, but the UHA-4 beats it on several factors: price, form factor for true portability, rechargeable battery, DAC,  PLUS it has outstanding built quality, crossfeed, gain switch if needed, and a fantastic sound for my MTPC.  And built in US, of course, with great customer support and instant availability.  What else could one ask for?  My portable amp search stopped with the UHA-4.

Apr 4, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #56 of 1,075
Hello, 

For quite some time I have been a reader of this site, but decided to join after I saw this thread.  For me, I was about to buy the iBasso D6 or the Arrow was a strong possibility or maybe the new FiiO.  

Problem I see there is so much to choice when it comes to portable amps, everyone of them seems be great in one form or another. I want something that is very portable, my Cowon J3 using Yuin PK2s will hopefully sound better or whatever headphones I buy in the future, and what would be a huge plus is been able to use it with my laptop.  My budget is under $300 for a Amp. 

Only down side there is not a lot of reviews regarding the UHA-4, and given the fact its only $169, comes with a 30day MBG + I do not have to wait a long time to get one gives me very little reason to not give Leckerton Audio a chance.  

I wish I had something to compare it to since I have never owned a amp, so I bought a FiiO E5, yes I know, I gotta start somewhere right ?

Apr 5, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #57 of 1,075
F900EX, make sure to let us know how you like it if you decide to buy one. I myself have an Arrow but only because I didn't know the Leckerton existed. I'd love to try one!

Apr 5, 2011 at 6:28 AM Post #58 of 1,075

Quote:
F900EX, make sure to let us know how you like it if you decide to buy one. I myself have an Arrow but only because I didn't know the Leckerton existed. I'd love to try one!

I would love to try it too, especially that my D6 is defective and I have to decide whether to return it for a refund or have it replaired/ replaced. The price is definitely attractive and its form factor highly portable.

Apr 5, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #59 of 1,075
My sentiments are pretty well covered in this thread, but for the record - IMHO, the Arrow is a heck of an amp for a lot of things.  What it is not good at, is low volume listening with sensitive iem's.  The UHA-4 excels at low volume listening with sensitive iem's.  It also works quite well with higher sensitivity headphones.  It doesn't have a lot of voltage swing, so there will be other portables that will be better with low impedance, full sized headphones that want a lot of voltage and current.  That said, it works quite nicely with my D7000's, even compared to my Headroom UDA.  The UDA is a much better match, but the little Leckerton does quite nicely.

OK, from here on out, I will try to refrain from repeating myself.  Again.  Because that would be redundant.  You can say that again...

Apr 5, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #60 of 1,075
Well after thinking about it, I went ahead and placed the order for the Black/Black UHA-4 Slimline USB DAC/Amp. 

For testing I will be using a  Sasha Clip + , Cowon J3.

Headphones - Yuin PK2's and  Monster Turbine Pro Copper's. 

Laptop - Alienware M11x,  M17x D3. 

I will update when I receive them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back