Leckerton Audio Slimline UHA-4
Apr 9, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #76 of 1,075
Based on the reviews on this forum I went ahead and ordered the UHA 4 Amp and am looking forward to pairing it with my new Sflo2 (BTW totally loving the Sflo2 :wink:. I was considering either the arrow or the alo rx but honestly didn't want to pay such premiums and now I don't have to; instead I'll get  a quality amp at a great value. Thanks

Apr 9, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #77 of 1,075
Quote:
Leckerton also has a couple or three other amps that should do well with higher impedance cans from what I can see.

According to Leckerton's specs, the UHA-6 series has roughly twice the power output as the UHA-4 for a given load, so if you aren't getting enough volume or the sound you like from the UHA-4, try upgrading.

I use the UHA-6s daily, and I've tried it with a variety of cans. It drives low and medium impedance headphones comfortably, but it doesn't make 600 ohm beasts like the K240 sound good; the sound is thin and muted.

This is not a point against as far as I'm concerned. There is a huge spectrum of phones it does very well with, the designer explicitly recommends against using headphones of 600 ohm or more, and the quality and quantity of sound it can provide off a USB line for the broad number of headphones that are compatible is truly impressive.

Apr 9, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #78 of 1,075

Quote:
As soon as I have the chance, I will write a comparative review of the UHA-4 against the Alo Rx, RSA shadow, T3.... excited to get it!

Awesome.  Looking forward to this comparison.  I'm starting to get an itchy trigger finger for this, but think I will have to wait another month to recover from some recent expenses...  hopefully just in time for the review!

Apr 9, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #79 of 1,075

Quote:

According to Leckerton's specs, the UHA-6 series has roughly twice the power output as the UHA-4 for a given load, so if you aren't getting enough volume or the sound you like from the UHA-4, try upgrading.

I use the UHA-6s daily, and I've tried it with a variety of cans. It drives low and medium impedance headphones comfortably, but it doesn't make 600 ohm beasts like the K240 sound good; the sound is thin and muted.

This is not a point against as far as I'm concerned. There is a huge spectrum of phones it does very well with, the designer explicitly recommends against using headphones of 600 ohm or more, and the quality and quantity of sound it can provide off a USB line for the broad number of headphones that are compatible is truly impressive.

Thank you for your thoughts on the UHA-6.  I am considering downsizing my desktop rig, and the UHA-6S is appealing to me.  I currently stream to an Airport Express, and then optical to my Headroom UDA.  If I do downsize, the UHA-6S would stand in nicely.  It has the same DAC chip as the UDA as well.

So far, my tastes always seem to lead me to lower impedance cans.  HD580's are the only relatively high impedance can I've owned.

OK, back to topic...

Apr 10, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #80 of 1,075
Went ahead and put my order in for one. Ever since the ALO RX came out I wanted something in that size but it was too expensive for what I would be using it for. Arrow? Too expensive. TTVJ? Too expensive? Lekerton audio? Just right
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #81 of 1,075
Thanks for the update. I may end up getting one when more funds are available and after I get my customs in the mail.

Apr 11, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #82 of 1,075

Quote:
Wanted to update this. The hiss with the JH5s was my fault, as I failed to turn the gain from hi to low. It was set on high for the M50s and W4s. The JH5s are very sensitive, so no high gain needed. Now, they sound fantastic through the UHA-4. And, the customer service at Leckerton is fantastic too. Just in case anyone is wondering.

I wondered about that.  The Quads are really sensitive.  My DBA-02's did not his with my Headroom UDA on low gain, but the Quads sure do.  I have no hiss with the quads and UHA-4.

Apr 11, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #83 of 1,075

Quote:
For me, it means the sound is a little more detailed, bass is more detailed and layered especially, and with the W4s and M50s, the sound is just a little more robust (not meaning just louder), but again, not like a night and day difference. Maybe using a worn analogy like going from a good upscaling DVD player to a Blu-Ray player, if that makes sense.

For me, both the W4s and the M50s are excellent phones without an amp, the Leckerton just pushes them a little better, brings out their best qualities a little more. It's subtle, for sure. But when I quickly move from unamped to amped, the difference is just there. I have owned other amps, but the Leckerton is especially nice because its DAC is very good too, so I can use my netbook or desktop as a quality source.

I really like this sort of feedback, cliffroycole - measured, succinct and specific. Too many of us get caught up new toy joy (madness?) and some of the 'magic' attributed to new kit is completely over the top.

I will be posting my review of the iBasso P4 sometime before April 30, and I would like your permission to include the text I have quoted, along with your board name of course, in that review.

Thanks,

estreeter

Apr 12, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #84 of 1,075

Quote:
Sure, I would be honored. I am not very good with audio jargon, and frankly don't know how to describe much of what I hear. I just sort of know what I like, and the Leckerton, I like.

Thanks - appreciate it. Its not about jargon, its about attitude and I found yours refreshing - I think many Head-Fiers are becoming a little more realistic about kit, particularly amps - I guess that tends to happen once you have heard a few and realised that they dont instantly transport you to Cloud 9. 

Apr 12, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #85 of 1,075
Wow, I am VERY interested in this! I was thinking of buying a Meier stepdance or a RSA tomahawk to replace my PA2V2 (I need more juice for the T50RP's, not much more, but more) But I'm very interested in this!

Apr 12, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #86 of 1,075

Quote:
Wow, I am VERY interested in this! I was thinking of buying a Meier stepdance or a RSA tomahawk to replace my PA2V2 (I need more juice for the T50RP's, not much more, but more) But I'm very interested in this!

I actually own a Tomahawk with my Westone UM3-X IEM and this Leckerton amp is very tempting, because of its price and features, and with the last informations from cliffroyroycole : no hiss even with very sensitive IEMs...

Apr 12, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #87 of 1,075
Is this any better than iBasso T3d or T4?
I also wonder how it compares to pico slim. I am looking for slim amp just to slide behind ipod.

Apr 12, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #88 of 1,075
This has been covered already - the UHA-4 competes and even wins against amps two to three times as expensive. The iBasso T3 and T4 are much smaller but there is nothing else they do better than UHA-4.

Apr 12, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #89 of 1,075
Thanks, another question is... how big are these? There is only one crappy picture with ipod floating online. anybody willing to provide pictures?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back