LCD-X and XC Update
Sep 24, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #2,101 of 2,721
Tracking headphones are headphones used during the recording and recording preparation phases of audio production. They are almost always closed backed or in ear as to avoid looping feedback from the microphone picking up sound leakage from the headphones.

The LCD-XC was the best most logical option for me to use in this regard as I wanted something as familiar to me as the LCD-X which I use for mixing/mastering. Essentially I wanted a closed back version of the LCD-X and was rewarded with the XC, though different in many ways, also similar in just as many.

But I listen to my XC's for leisure as well because, well, they rock! They rock a bit differently than the X, but they rock!

Blessings,
-J

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #2,102 of 2,721
13 filters!
I suppose you are of the opinion that there is no price to pay for using equalizers, I mean for sound quality.

I agree with you they might seem a lot but it depends on how they are used, I can get the same result with only 4 filters but I would be forced to tighten the bell (q-factor) resulting in distortion of the phases, using large bells I reduce the distortion of phase, but I need more filters to achieve the result, however I invite you to try it if you want

Sep 29, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #2,103 of 2,721
I agree with you they might seem a lot but it depends on how they are used, I can get the same result with only 4 filters but I would be forced to tighten the bell (q-factor) resulting in distortion of the phases, using large bells I reduce the distortion of phase, but I need more filters to achieve the result, however I invite you to try it if you want
First, I agree with @Jonne Haven on this one - to eq or not to eq is a festering argument with no one right answer and, perforce, best left alone (right up there with cable differences, digital vs analog and tube vs transistor). I will say, however, that IMHO there is a big difference between eq in the digital domain and old school analog eq. I think much of the anti-eq sentiment is a residual of the fact that the OG graphic equalizers and such from the 70’s and 80’s DID trash the signal, and no self-respecting audiophile would even consider putting one in their system (yeah, I’m old - I speak from experience). Personally, I don’t think that digital eq does nearly as much damage (if any at all - I am NOT going there), but for many of us ‘old timers’, the stigma is still there.

Just to get back on topic: I listen to a lot of LPs and cds, where digital eq is not an option (at least not in my current set up), and as far as I’m concerned, the 2021 LCD-X are just exactly perfect for me as they are - without eq.

YMMV, just my $.02, etc., ad nauseum

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #2,105 of 2,721
Sep 29, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #2,106 of 2,721
The problem with digital EQ plugins is that they upsample to do the EQ processing at a higher sample rate to avoid aliasing and other artifacts then downsample back to the input sample rate. The upsamplling/downsampling methods used are chosen for CPU efficiency and low latency rather than audiophile sound quality. That middling quality resampling is audible and lowers the sound quality compared to sending an un-EQed signal to my DAC. Even when I try EQ plugins that claim to be mastering quality linear phase they still negatively impact the sound quality. You can test this by patching in a EQ plugin, setting the EQ to flat or bypass so the EQ does no processing other than the upsampling and downsampling. Then listen to the EQ plugin patched in and patched out. Every digital EQ plugin I've tried has an audible difference between being patched in and patched out. Even when trying their highest quality linear phase options.

My DAC of choice are Schiit multibits using the super awesome linear phase combo burrito filter. That filter is the reason I use and love the Schiit multibits. When I use a digital EQ plugin the upsampling/downsampling the plugin does causes the sound quality to sound like the Schiit multibit Gungnir has been crossbred with a delta sigma DAC. And that's a crime against combo burrito filters. I didn't choose the Schiit Gungnir multibit only to end up using a digital EQ for my headphones that causes my system to sound like I'm using a middling delta sigma DAC. If I wanted a middling delta sigma sound I'd be using a $400 SMSL DAC instead.

I do use EQ to experiment with how a headphone would sound with a different frequency response profile. But I do not, and will not, use EQ for critical listening. The digital EQ does more harm than good.

Sep 29, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #2,107 of 2,721
The problem with digital EQ plugins is that they upsample to do the EQ processing at a higher sample rate to avoid aliasing and other artifacts then downsample back to the input sample rate. The upsamplling/downsampling methods used are chosen for CPU efficiency and low latency rather than audiophile sound quality. That middling quality resampling is audible and lowers the sound quality compared to sending an un-EQed signal to my DAC. Even when I try EQ plugins that claim to be mastering quality linear phase they still negatively impact the sound quality. You can test this by patching in a EQ plugin, setting the EQ to flat or bypass so the EQ does no processing other than the upsampling and downsampling. Then listen to the EQ plugin patched in and patched out. Every digital EQ plugin I've tried has an audible difference between being patched in and patched out. Even when trying their highest quality linear phase options.

My DAC of choice are Schiit multibits using the super awesome linear phase combo burrito filter. That filter is the reason I use and love the Schiit multibits. When I use a digital EQ plugin the upsampling/downsampling the plugin does causes the sound quality to sound like the Schiit multibit Gungnir has been crossbred with a delta sigma DAC. And that's a crime against combo burrito filters. I didn't choose the Schiit Gungnir multibit only to end up using a digital EQ for my headphones that causes my system to sound like I'm using a middling delta sigma DAC. If I wanted a middling delta sigma sound I'd be using a $400 SMSL DAC instead.

I do use EQ to experiment with how a headphone would sound with a different frequency response profile. But I do not, and will not, use EQ for critical listening. The digital EQ does more harm than good.
Good thing I don't use an EQ plug in then.

Oct 8, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #2,108 of 2,721
LCD-X 2021 EQ Revision 10-08-22
For Lovers Of Sub Bass, Punch, And Slam

This time around I had the great benefit of being able to measure my EQ results in REW (Thank you @staticV3!) with @oratory1990's most excellent measurements as you can see in this EQ applied graph overlayed with the Harman Target Curve 2018.

Based, in part, on the Harman Target Curve this EQ adds back some of the Audeze house warmth in the custard smooth mids without making vocalists unrealistically nasal sounding but with a gorgeous and exciting overall tonality. Improved imaging and sense of space between instruments from the last EQ Revision. Locating exactly the placement of sounds is now more natural than ever enhancing that holographic nature of the LCD-Xs that we all love.

LCD-X REW EQ Applied Measurement Graph Post 100822.jpg

This EQ truly extends the sub bass all the way down to 20Hz as the graph shows (a horizontal line instead of the typical right to left downward slope) which adds an impactful presence to tracks that are mixed/mastered to utilize ALL of the low end. I wanted my LCD-X to most accurately recreate my speaker and subwoofer setup which extends completely down through 20Hz which it now does with this EQ Revision. True sub bass extension!

LCD-X EQ Numbers Post Update 100822.jpg

I acknowledge ahead of time that there is a large number of filters utilized. It is necessary to make sections of the EQ more adjustable with a single filter, to hug the Harman Curve as tightly as I did in parts, and to capture various nuances with detailed resolution. Thankfully with preset saving you only have to enter it once; also I use Equalizer APO and I personally hear no sound degradation of any kind. YMMV. Nuff said about that.

LCD-X EQ Post Update 100822.jpg

80Hz is exaggerated in order to target bass drums and make them slam and cut through the mix. The dip before 40.2Hz is there to give sub, sub bass some punch to bass guitars and the low, low end of kick drums.

I've intentially emphasized the "magic" frequencies from 3450-4350Hz, one of the sweet spots of this headphone, and I think it sounds great but depending on how the tracks YOU listen to are mastered you may have to decrease these frequencies if it sounds too "sharp" or "shouty". Fortunately I've made it easy, just turn up or down the gain value of Filter 16 to taste and find your own happy setting.

Preamp: -17.35 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 21 Hz Gain 3.46 dB Q 1.2
Filter 2: ON LSC Fc 40.2 Hz Gain 5.4 dB Q 0.69
Filter 3: ON LSC Fc 40.2 Hz Gain 1.08 dB Q 4
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 80 Hz Gain 6.75 dB Q 1.6
Filter 5: ON LSC Fc 90 Hz Gain 7.25 dB Q 0.65
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 110 Hz Gain 2.7 dB Q 1.41
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 200 Hz Gain -3.35 dB Q 2.34
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 300 Hz Gain 3.05 dB Q 1.2
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 575 Hz Gain 3.25 dB Q 3
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 785 Hz Gain -2.6 dB Q 2.2
Filter 11: ON HSC Fc 1235 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 2.4
Filter 12: ON HSC Fc 1500 Hz Gain 8.1 dB Q 0.71
Filter 13: ON PK Fc 1910 Hz Gain 1.45 dB Q 4
Filter 14: ON PK Fc 2700 Hz Gain -2.75 dB Q 2
Filter 15: ON PK Fc 3450 Hz Gain 1.1 dB Q 5
Filter 16: ON PK Fc 3750 Hz Gain 3.1 dB Q 1.7
Filter 17: ON PK Fc 4350 Hz Gain 2.3 dB Q 3.5
Filter 18: ON PK Fc 5500 Hz Gain -2.35 dB Q 4.5
Filter 19: ON PK Fc 6100 Hz Gain -3.75 dB Q 2.5
Filter 20: ON PK Fc 6500 Hz Gain 2.45 dB Q 5
Filter 21: ON PK Fc 7350 Hz Gain -1.65 dB Q 3.5
Filter 22: ON PK Fc 10000 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 0.8
Filter 23: ON HSC Fc 13000 Hz Gain 1.75 dB Q 1.4

To increase or decrease bass, adjust gain to Filter 5 to taste.
To increase or decrease high-mid range “shoutiness”, adjust Filter 16 to taste.
To increase or decrease treble, adjust gain to Filter 22 to taste.
To increase or decrease upper treble/sparkle/air, adjust gain to Filter 23 to taste.

Here is an original track of mine that I find to be well balanced and good to test this EQ out on:
Jonne Haven - Dusty Road

Another original track to try out is my cover of The Archies - Sugar, Sugar:

To hear what this EQ is doing from the starting point of the stock sound, which is very good on its own too IMO BTW, I would encourage you to make two presets in your preferred EQ software. One with this EQ and the other with a flat EQ and a preamp value of -13.35 to approximate loudnesses. Get your best reference tracks and A/B away!

Congratulations on getting this far! Remember this is just how I like to listen to my LCD-X... I'm not selling anything, just sharing my experience with these awesome and incredibly EQ-able HPs!
Immerse!

Blessings,
-Jonne

Attachments

• Jonne Haven LCD-X 2021 EQ 100822.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 9, 2022 at 7:17 PM Post #2,110 of 2,721

This time around I had the great benefit of being able to measure my EQ results in REW (Thank you @staticV3!) with @oratory1990's most excellent measurements as you can see in this EQ applied graph overlayed with the Harman Target Curve 2018.

Based, in part, on the Harman Target Curve this EQ adds back some of the Audeze house warmth in the custard smooth mids without making vocalists unrealistically nasal sounding but with a gorgeous and exciting overall tonality. Improved imaging and sense of space between instruments from the last EQ Revision. Locating exactly the placement of sounds is now more natural than ever enhancing that holographic nature of the LCD-Xs that we all love.

This EQ truly extends the sub bass all the way down to 20Hz as the graph shows (a horizontal line instead of the typical right to left downward slope) which adds an impactful presence to tracks that are mixed/mastered to utilize ALL of the low end. I wanted my LCD-X to most accurately recreate my speaker and subwoofer setup which extends completely down through 20Hz which it now does with this EQ Revision. True sub bass extension!

I acknowledge ahead of time that there are a large number of filters utilized. It is necessary to make sections of the EQ more adjustable with a single filter, to hug the Harman Curve as tightly as I did in parts, and to capture various nuances with detailed resolution. Thankfully with preset saving you only have to enter it once; also I use Equalizer APO and I personally hear no sound degradation of any kind. YMMV. Nuff said about that.

80Hz is exaggerated in order to target bass drums and make them slam and cut through the mix. The dip before 40.2Hz is there to give sub, sub bass some punch to bass guitars and the low, low end of kick drums.

I've intentially emphasized the "magic" frequencies from 3450-4350Hz, one of the sweet spots of this headphone, and I think it sounds great but depending on how the tracks YOU listen to are mastered you may have to decrease these frequencies if it sounds too "sharp" or "shouty". Fortunately I've made it easy, just turn up or down the gain value of Filter 16 to taste and find your own happy setting.

To increase or decrease upper treble/sparkle/air, adjust gain to Filter 23 to taste.

Here is an original track of mine that I find to be well balanced and good to test this EQ out on:
Jonne Haven - Dusty Road

To hear what this EQ is doing from the starting point of the stock sound, which is very good on its own too IMO BTW, I would encourage you to make two presets in your preferred EQ software. One with this EQ and the other with a flat EQ and a preamp value of -13.35 to approximate loudnesses. Get your best reference tracks and A/B away!

Congratulations on getting this far! Remember this is just how I like to listen to my LCD-X... I'm not selling anything, just sharing my experience with these awesome and incredibly EQ-able HPs!
Immerse!

Blessings,
-Jonne

Great job on putting this EQ together.. it sounds very good.... if you would like to hear how the low end has improved then if you have Tidal look up the Artist Yello .... your EQ is perfect for their music...

Oct 10, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #2,113 of 2,721
But I listen to my XC's for leisure as well because, well, they rock! They rock a bit differently than the X, but they rock!

Blessings,
-J
hi @Jonne Haven .... curious if you might decide to port over your Magic EQ you built for your X to your XC... I'd love to try out what you could come up with on the XC too... :)

Oct 10, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #2,114 of 2,721
Oct 10, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #2,115 of 2,721

I acknowledge ahead of time that there are a large number of filters utilized. It is necessary to make sections of the EQ more adjustable with a single filter, to hug the Harman Curve as tightly as I did in parts, and to capture various nuances with detailed resolution. Thankfully with preset saving you only have to enter it once; also I use Equalizer APO and I personally hear no sound degradation of any kind. YMMV. Nuff said about that.

Jonne Haven - Dusty Road

Immerse!

Blessings,
-Jonne

I also used it to make changes for my XC, Bubinga wood, Since I got both the wood and Carbon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back