LCD-X and XC Update
Jul 26, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #2,026 of 2,744
@Andrew_WOT

I was wondering, since you wanted to preserve the FR of the stock pads, then why not just replace the pads with dekoni solid sheepskin instead of the fenestrated ones?

Just a thought.....
I didn't, was specifically looking for a little treble boost, plus with fenestrated you do not get that suction cups like feeling and it's easier for longer sessions.
BTW, after break in I think they have lost some initial treble boost, could be pads sealing better or just ears/brain burn in.

Aug 3, 2022 at 11:27 PM Post #2,027 of 2,744
I am listening to the 33-minute track entitled ‘Mountain Jam’ by the Allman Brothers Band on the deluxe 2-CD issue of ‘Eat A Peach’. With the LCD-X (2016): absolutely captivating, full dynamics, clean delineation & separation of instruments. Who says that LCD-X has weak imaging / narrow soundstage 😤? I am at Fillmore East 😄! [Plus, Fender bass sounds real + snare drums crack]
D95824C2-5E34-4021-B023-C35FEA362AAA.jpeg
[I apologise for the repeat picture: it is the setup this evening]

Aug 5, 2022 at 5:05 AM Post #2,028 of 2,744
if anything the lcd x(c) is so detailed you end up almost overwhelmed by the amount of detail added!

Aug 7, 2022 at 7:39 PM Post #2,030 of 2,744
can anybody recommend a good amp for the 2021 XC in lieu of my Drop THX AAA 789?

I find I can only enjoy these with the gain on the highest setting which brings a high noise floor even when running balanced

I'm using a Topping A30 Pro with my XC. It's totally transparent and silent.

It's set at medium gain even with a DSP Pre Amp setting of -14dB! The high gain setting is just a land that I don't have to go to... ever.

Blessings,
-J

Aug 8, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #2,031 of 2,744
For those who wonder what happens when you swap only the pads but not the driver on a 2020 LCD-XC, my experience is;
- Soundstage narrowed down by a small margin but it is noticeable. On the other hand the instruments seem to be more in place. So it doesn't feel congested at all. Imaging is beautiful. It is just a bit more intimate and I like it.
- Treble is more palpable and crisp due to the intimacy of the drivers. Some may feel a bit sibilance but I guess my ears like a good whipping.
- Mids are better. Lower mids are clearer. Upper mids are more distinct. Male vocals are more pronounced. There wasn't much problem with the female vocals before the swap so maybe with the new pads some may find female vocals a bit shouty but in my case, I love females screaming in my ear. :)
- Bass is somewhat a trade off. The sub-bass still hits hard but its more focused. With the old pads sub-bass seemed to hit harder but maybe because it was more areal. The bass in general is punchier and clearer. While there is a tiny difference, it is snappy and noticeable and I like it more with the new pads.
Overall the difference is not placebo.

Aug 13, 2022 at 1:31 AM Post #2,032 of 2,744
LCD XC or LCD 2 CLOSED?

Hi guys,

I sold recently my aryas v2, because the poor isolation. So in moving to closed backs, I've already got a lovely sony z7mk2 on dynamics, so next stop is a closed planar.

I usually listen electro/dnb and eq the aryas with more bass, so...

I should get the XC and eq or just get the 2c?

Thanks for your response

Aug 13, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #2,033 of 2,744
LCD XC or LCD 2 CLOSED?

Hi guys,

I sold recently my aryas v2, because the poor isolation. So in moving to closed backs, I've already got a lovely sony z7mk2 on dynamics, so next stop is a closed planar.

I usually listen electro/dnb and eq the aryas with more bass, so...

I should get the XC and eq or just get the 2c?

Thanks for your response
I own a 2 year old Maple LCD-XC (sorry for not being able to compare the revised one but you'll have an idea) and as a previous LCD2-CB owner my impressions are as such;
- The most noticeable difference on my side was the difference in energy. 2-CB has relatively a more laid-back character. XC is much more forward and energetic in comparison. So while metal music was not okay for me with 2-CB, jazz, lounge etc. was considerably good.
- 2-CB has more bass and it felt really good but I don't think it is as refined as XC bass though XC bass is less in quantity (yes even the older XC compared to 2-CB)
- As you too have mentioned, details are noticeably more vivid and alive with sharper edges on the XC and while 2-CB was not bad, its details were more rounded.
- There is a roll-off especially in treble with the 2-CB in comparison with the XC. So due to this XC feels more airy, I love the openness of treble in XC.
- 2-CB offers a much more comfortable listen due to being warmer, you can chill and listen to your music and do your stuff. On the other side XC compels you to listen the music, keeps you on edge.

So both has its merits and areas of use.
This was my answer way back, hope it helps.

Aug 14, 2022 at 8:14 AM Post #2,034 of 2,744
This was my answer way back, hope it helps.
Idk if it’s helpful to @PROblemdetected or not, but I had similar experience with the current revisions of the LCD-X open and LCD-2 open (rosewood, NOT 2C). I listen to everything from Bach to Grateful Dead to Mahavishnu Orchestra to Monk (basically anything, other than Hip-Hop, Metal and Pop), and for me, it was no contest - the LCD-2 was far too laid back to be engaging, almost muffled by comparison to the X. Indeed, while I’m a long time Sennheiser guy (and I still adore the 300 ohm Senn 580/600/650), I’m in the midst of a little tryst with the current revision LCD-X being run off a simple Burson Soloist SL Mk. II in low power mode. Liquid, musical, dynamic, engaging and pure as the driven snow. That purity of tone (or lack of grain) is a quality of Class A SS to which I’ve lately become addicted. An unexpectedly delicious combo, superior even to bigger, newer Burson amps I’ve had.

I should mention also that I have replaced the oem cables on my LCD-X with an odd duck set of van den Hul Integration Hybrid ‘made’ by a company called tuneful cables. No crazy claims, but, to my ear, the vdH cable both sounds more open and lowers the ‘center of gravity’ in a way that is just to my liking.

YMMV, IMHO, Just my $.02, etc., etc., etc.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #2,035 of 2,744
Idk if it’s helpful to @PROblemdetected or not, but I had similar experience with the current revisions of the LCD-X open and LCD-2 open (rosewood, NOT 2C). I listen to everything from Bach to Grateful Dead to Mahavishnu Orchestra to Monk (basically anything, other than Hip-Hop, Metal and Pop), and for me, it was no contest - the LCD-2 was far too laid back to be engaging, almost muffled by comparison to the X. Indeed, while I’m a long time Sennheiser guy (and I still adore the 300 ohm Senn 580/600/650), I’m in the midst of a little tryst with the current revision LCD-X being run off a simple Burson Soloist SL Mk. II in low power mode. Liquid, musical, dynamic, engaging and pure as the driven snow. That purity of tone (or lack of grain) is a quality of Class A SS to which I’ve lately become addicted. An unexpectedly delicious combo, superior even to bigger, newer Burson amps I’ve had.

I should mention also that I have replaced the oem cables on my LCD-X with an odd duck set of van den Hul Integration Hybrid ‘made’ by a company called tuneful cables. No crazy claims, but, to my ear, the vdH cable both sounds more open and lowers the ‘center of gravity’ in a way that is just to my liking.

YMMV, IMHO, Just my $.02, etc., etc., etc.

Enjoy!
Yeah, Im more a bassier guy, that's why asking about the 2.

Anyways, I choose to get the LCD-XC on the near future.

Aug 14, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #2,036 of 2,744
Yeah, Im more a bassier guy, that's why asking about the 2.

Anyways, I choose to get the LCD-XC on the near future.
Again, MY OPINION, based (no pun, lol!) upon the 2 (not the 2C), is that while there was more apparent bass weight in the 2, it was not nearly as tuneful, well-defined or impactful as in the the X - current tuning for both, of course.

I think you’re making the right decision.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #2,038 of 2,744
Again, MY OPINION, based (no pun, lol!) upon the 2 (not the 2C), is that while there was more apparent bass weight in the 2, it was not nearly as tuneful, well-defined or impactful as in the the X - current tuning for both, of course.

I think you’re making the right decision.

Enjoy!

I'm sure the XC could be tuned near bassier to the 2closed, but the 2 are not going to give me the same clarity after some EQ.

That's the main reason to get the XC

Aug 29, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #2,040 of 2,744
LCD-X 2021 EQ Revision (06-28-22)
For more punch and slam

For those of you interested the EQ profile I posted in February it has under gone several silent revisions. The latest can be found below in the 19 band iteration.

And so for deep, tight bass that sounds more resolving and moves quickly out of the way of the honestly crafted mids and meticulously shaped highs, that accentuates the LCD-X’s "punch and slam" effect with kick drums and snares.

Posted EQ Graph Update 062822.jpg

As you can see from the overlay-ed, inverted chart of Oratory1990's Harman Compensated FR (yes PEACE can do that!) I have stuck with a lot of his mids calculations, at times even more religiously than he did. My curve (green) deviates most from his (red) in the bass and the highs, adding a couple shots of bass slam and sparkling highs that makes vocalists more realistic and up close and personal. 80Hz is exaggerated in order target kick drums and make them cut through the mix. The dip after 40Hz is there to give sub, sub bass some slam to bass guitars.

Posted EQ Graph Update 062822B.jpg

Pre Amp: -14.35 (Be sure to enter this value to avoid clipping)

Pre Amp: -14.35 (Be sure to enter this value to avoid clipping)

Band 1: Freq 40 Gain 3.45 Q 0.69 Filter Low Shelf
Band 2: Freq 40 Gain 0.83 Q 4 Filter Low Shelf
Band 3: Freq 80 Gain 5.12 Q 1.67 Filter Peak
Band 4: Freq 90 Gain 9.9 Q 0.65 Filter Low Shelf
Band 5: Freq 120 Gain 2.2 Q 1.41 Filter Peak
Band 6: Freq 220 Gain -3.5 Q 2.2 Filter Peak
Band 7: Freq 325 Gain 3.75 Q 1.2 Filter Peak
Band 8: Freq 450 Gain -1 Q 2.7 Filter Peak
Band 9: Freq 810 Gain -2.2 Q 2.41 Filter Peak
Band 10: Freq 1235 Gain -1 Q 2.4 Filter High Shelf
Band 11: Freq 1500 Gain 8.4 Q 0.71 Filter High Shelf
Band 12: Freq 1910 Gain 1.25 Q 5 Filter Peak
Band 13: Freq 2800 Gain -3.5 Q 2 Filter Peak
Band 14: Freq 3400 Gain 3 Q 2.1 Filter Peak
Band 15: Freq 5780 Gain -4.4 Q 4.8 Filter Peak
Band 16: Freq 7350 Gain -2 Q 7 Filter Peak
Band 17: Freq 10000 Gain -1.05 Q 0.9 Filter Peak
Band 18: Freq 13000 Gain 1.85 Q 2 Filter High Shelf
Band 19: Freq 19000 Gain 0.8 Q 0.8 Filter Peak

To increase or decrease bass, adjust gain to Band 4 to taste.
To increase or decrease treble, adjust gain to Band 17 to taste.

Here’s two original tracks of mine to try this profile out with that I mastered with the LCD-X 2021 that really pushes these cans to do things previously not thought possible by me:

Jonne Haven - “Big Bad World”

Jonne Haven - “Humble Me” (Norah Jones Cover)

It's been said already, but I must add that I've been working on EQing the LCD-X 2021 everyday for over 7 months now and I find that it responds to EQ settings superbly and with the greatest of resolution. Even the smallest of changes are reported, with minute detail and without distortion, the best of any headphone I have EQ'd.

Blessings,
-J

Just found your EQ setting, really enjoying how my LCD-X 2021 is sounding.👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back