LCD-X and XC Update
Jun 7, 2022 at 9:54 PM Post #1,891 of 2,744
About bit perfect, you can EQ via hardware and still use bit perfect without problems.
How does it work for you with multiple headphones and what hardware solution do you use? I haven't seen many top of the line DACs, HP amps with EQ functionality, most just stick with SW solution like EQ APO.
But again the question is why, don't like HP signature, just get different one.

Jun 7, 2022 at 10:27 PM Post #1,892 of 2,744
I find EQing by way of hardware more fun and engaging.
Mixing and matching DAC, preamp, amp, opamp, headphone, earpad, cable etc all to tweak the sound of a headphone is more rewarding for me than applying the same target to my headphones and getting an identical frequency response across the board.

Jun 8, 2022 at 1:58 AM Post #1,893 of 2,744
If you have to EQ it, it ain't audiophile.

You know how many "graphic equalizers" I saw at Canjam? ZERO!

How come audiophile gear don't come with "bass" and "treble" controls????

Turn off your EQ and just listen to the gear, you may be surprised....
So you are right everyone here and on the entire planet, should just listen to esteemed, know it all, 'audiophiles' like you. Being one of the few hundred people who attend CanJam or your observations while attending, does not make you an authority on anything outside of your own 'audiophile' delusions. The real definition of 'Audiophile' is: A person who has never worked in professional audio and who thinks they know what is 'best' in audio for everyone. Then goes off spouting things he pulled from his rectum like "EQ makes everything sound worse, it destroys the fidelity of the recording" or "If you have to EQ it, it ain't audiophile" or my favorite "Turn off your EQ and just listen to the gear". We are here in a forum that is very small percentage of the total of people on the planet who listen to music, this little group of nerds or music lovers ( I am not an audiophile, yuck) are not gate keepers or authority figures (especially not you) regarding true fidelity of recordings etc. If it sounds good, then it is good. Listen to the music, not 'audiophiles'

Jun 8, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #1,894 of 2,744
How does it work for you with multiple headphones and what hardware solution do you use? I haven't seen many top of the line DACs, HP amps with EQ functionality, most just stick with SW solution like EQ APO.
But again the question is why, don't like HP signature, just get different one.
There's not many DACs with proper EQ. I use the RME ADI 2 DAC. Theres also a few EQ devices like the Schiit Loki/Lokius etc.

The answer is simple. I've tried loads of headphones and althought I liked a enjoyed a bunch of them, I always felt that there was room for some improvement. Obviously I never kept any headphones that I didn't like on its stock form.

Jun 8, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #1,895 of 2,744
There's not many DACs with proper EQ. I use the RME ADI 2 DAC. Theres also a few EQ devices like the Schiit Loki/Lokius etc.

The answer is simple. I've tried loads of headphones and althought I liked a enjoyed a bunch of them, I always felt that there was room for some improvement. Obviously I never kept any headphones that I didn't like on its stock form.
Hey @Tano, I'm curious, does your RME ADI 2 DAC let you choose the type of filter (peak, low shelf, etc.) for each and all of its 5 bands?

FYI, I EQ most everything! I EQ my toothbrush!

Blessings,
-J

Jun 8, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #1,896 of 2,744
Hey @Tano, I'm curious, does your RME ADI 2 DAC let you choose the type of filter (peak, low shelf, etc.) for each and all of its 5 bands?

Blessings,
-J

No, as far as I understand it does 5 bands and treble/bass as shelves.

Out of the 5 bands, only band 1 and 5 can be set to peak, shelf, … (2, 3, 4 are peak only)

The order of the 5 bands can be changed to an extent by changing frequency (make band 1 higher frequency than 2, so you can shelf band 2 instead. However there are limits so that band 1 can’t go all the way up to 10+kHz etc)

I’ve been trying to get your 5 band EQ to work but it’s been a chore :D

Jun 8, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #1,897 of 2,744
No, as far as I understand it does 5 bands and treble/bass as shelves.

Out of the 5 bands, only band 1 and 5 can be set to peak, shelf, … (2, 3, 4 are peak only)

The order of the 5 bands can be changed to an extent by changing frequency (make band 1 higher frequency than 2, so you can shelf band 2 instead. However there are limits so that band 1 can’t go all the way up to 10+kHz etc)

I’ve been trying to get your 5 band EQ to work but it’s been a chore :D
Yeah, that's exactly what I was afraid of which is why I asked the question. I thought you might run into trouble getting the low shelf 3rd band to work. Sorry it's been a chore!

Blessings,
-J

Jun 8, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #1,898 of 2,744
Yeah, that's exactly what I was afraid of which is why I asked the question. I thought you might run into trouble getting the low shelf 3rd band to work. Sorry it's been a chore!

Blessings,
-J
Ah no not at all! Many thanks for your reduction to 5 bands!!

Although.. now you have to look at me butchering it on the RMA ADI 2 FS :D

Piccy.jpg

Jun 8, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #1,899 of 2,744

Blessings,
-J
Sorry, just saw your message.
The friend cacacacaciiiiii explained it really well. The RME is certainly limited compared to software parametric EQ, but still really good and enough to tweak most headphones/speakers to your liking.
Hope they can improve that in future models.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #1,900 of 2,744
Ah no not at all! Many thanks for your reduction to 5 bands!!

Although.. now you have to look at me butchering it on the RMA ADI 2 FS :D

Ahh! It looks pretty good all things considered! I would maybe decrease the Q to about 0.9 to 1.0 on that 5th filter just to get rid of a little sibilance and you're set! Unless you like it like that, or course. EDIT* or if lowering the Q makes you lose the 3700Hz peak.

Thanks for the pic, I was going to ask!

-J

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #1,901 of 2,744
Ahh! It looks pretty good all things considered! I would maybe decrease the Q to about 0.9 to 1.0 on that 5th filter just to get rid of a little sibilance and you're set! Unless you like it like that, or course. EDIT* or if lowering the Q makes you lose the 3700Hz peak.

Thanks for the pic, I was going to ask!

-J
Do you mean flatten it out like so? High hats seem less shouty and more realistic now I think! Not sure if the picture conveys the change very well though!

Piccy2.jpg

Jun 8, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #1,903 of 2,744
Yes, exactly! Just flatten to taste and you're good to go!
-J
Definitely works for me, awesome stuff!

For those interested on the RME ADI-2 DAC:
B: G +12 F 47 Q 0.5
1: G +12 F 1.42K Q 0.5 (Shelf)
2: G +3 F 37 Q 2.0
3: G +6 F 90 Q 1.5
4: G -5 F 7.0K Q 1.7
5: G -1.5 F 350 Q 0.5 (Shelf)
T: G 0

(Also somewhat important: I do use Loudness pretty aggressively (8.5dB bass gain, 5.0dB treble gain, low vol ref -29.0dB @ -35.0dB), NOS filter, polarity both)

And some syrup all over the unit itself xD

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #1,904 of 2,744
Every time I engage EQ it sounds awful ....don't understand what you EQ geeks are hearing....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back