LCD-X and XC Update
Jun 17, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #1,921 of 2,723
Stop EQing. Buy an amp that allows the LCD-X to sing on its own. Digital EQ is the equivalent of a straightjacket on a headphone. You are never going to hear what the headphone and amp and DAC are capable of on their own if you use digital EQ.

I use a Cavalli Liquid Fire and Cavalli Liquid Glass with my LCD-X and LCD-2 Classic. I've never run out of headroom with those amps because I don't use EQ.
Preach!

Jun 17, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #1,922 of 2,723
Stop EQing. Buy an amp that allows the LCD-X to sing on its own. Digital EQ is the equivalent of a straightjacket on a headphone. You are never going to hear what the headphone and amp and DAC are capable of on their own if you use digital EQ.

I use a Cavalli Liquid Fire and Cavalli Liquid Glass with my LCD-X and LCD-2 Classic. I've never run out of headroom with those amps because I don't use EQ.
My thought line, too. Headphones, not electronics, are my EQ 👍.

Jun 17, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #1,925 of 2,723
A while back, I said the LCD-X 2021 would be my last headphone. Well, it looks like I was wrong. I just bought a new Focal Clear. If anyone wants, I can put up a comparison of the 2 headphones when it arrives in the mail.
I would be interested.

Jun 17, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #1,928 of 2,723
A while back, I said the LCD-X 2021 would be my last headphone. Well, it looks like I was wrong. I just bought a new Focal Clear. If anyone wants, I can put up a comparison of the 2 headphones when it arrives in the mail.
The story of our life pal.
You know, when i bought the HD560s i tought it would be enough for me… then the sundara. I love it, i really do, but headphones are just like motorbikes.
They seem so fast when you get them at first, but after a while you crave more power.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #1,929 of 2,723
Double post, sorry.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #1,930 of 2,723
I think that's how we kid ourselves before realize its worth dropping the extra cash. :darthsmile:
Ive sadly hit my financial limit with my current gear... for now.

Ive been grabbing my XCs a little more often. One great thing about having a closed back pair is now that the weather is getting nicer; I can let the breeze in without too much external noise coming in. Ive been testing out 2021 XC Roon preset and it really changes it to a warmer sound. It takes care of the peakiness in the upper mids and treble that despite claims of break in are still present. I find its dependent on the recording and your chain.

Via the Broadway amp the bass is able to reach nice and low with great detail, texture and tonality making it particularly enjoyable with pop and some electronic music with the EQ on.
Although, its not enough bass to enjoy house/electro/techno how it can be with more eq but I personally don't know a single thing about adjusting that myself.

I actually prefer to use the original iFi Zen Can with the X-bass on with no Roon EQ for more sub-bass. At the expense of the Broadway's clarity and detail the XCs are excellent for house music which is my one of my favorite genres. I wish iFi would release an upgrade to the Zen Can series without catering to a single headphone EQ.
The Pro lines seem interesting but it'd be nice to have one under $1k with a variable bass boost.

I still do most of my time listening on the Diana Phi or Arya SE but I always use the XCs whenever I want to listen to electronic music in particular. I guess that's a pretty expensive route just for one genre since IMO the closed back nature stunts them for more acoustical types of genres. I can see why these cans are a pass for some but they can excel with some EQ or using them for certain genres.

Jun 17, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #1,931 of 2,723
I partly agree with the thought that digital EQ may cause certain problems especially in the bass region but my experience with Mojo2 DSP is phenomenal. It is limited but I hear no degradation at all.
Other than that my thought is that absolute judgements are nonsensical in this hobby. Our sentences should start with "I think, IMO, etc..." and finish with respecting to what others prefer.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #1,932 of 2,723
The story of our life pal.
You know, when i bought the HD560s i tought it would be enough for me… then the sundara. I love it, i really do, but headphones are just like motorbikes.
They seem so fast when you get them at first, but after a while you crave more power.

This will definitely be the last one for me. Owning a high end planar magnetic driver headphone, and now a high end dynamic driver headphone should keep me satisfied for years.

Jun 17, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #1,933 of 2,723
This will definitely be the last one for me. Owning a high end planar magnetic driver headphone, and now a high end dynamic driver headphone should keep me satisfied for years.
lol, yeah, ok....:smirk_cat:

Jun 17, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #1,935 of 2,723
I said headphones. DACs and AMPs could be another story though. :spy:
lol...I';m just laughing because when I bought my first high end earphone, the SS Andromedas, I said it was 'end game' for me...then when I sold them I met the guy in starbucks, and he opened the box and said "this is end game' lol, round and round it goes...... My lcd-x is end game, until I upgrade to the 4z, lol, enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back