LCD-X and XC Update
Jan 27, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #1,546 of 2,722
Personally, I’m waiting for either headphones.com to get the X back in stock or for a really good deal to come along for a used set. I get that some think the LCD-3 is better, but new it’s quite a bit more $$$ as well. Which to go for depends on what we each are looking for. I wish it was possible to audition both, but I live a long way from any audio shop where this is possible- headphones.com gives you 365 days to return a full price purchase, so for people like me though this costs more, it makes the purchase something of an audition. Mind you I haven’t yet actually tried to return anything there. There is also a 10% fee to do so, so one doesn’t want to order lightly- as that 10% is a hefty fee for an audition of a ~$2000 HP
Hey Jlemaster1957

Headphones.com has them in stock according to the below link on sale open box for $950 at the time of this post.

https://www.headphones.com/products...dHumytrPtcAP07LMUFrqk7U5mUMwGds8aArFpEALw_wcB

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #1,548 of 2,722
Bro- we are all friends here. Or want to be. We are all pilgrims on this road, sharing what we are learning on the way. It’s ok to troubleshoot and discuss here, so long as we all stay charitable to each other. You are welcomed here. That’s what this Forum is about- from wherever you are- so each of us can ‘enjoy the music’.

Personally, I’m waiting for either headphones.com to get the X back in stock or for a really good deal to come along for a used set. I get that some think the LCD-3 is better, but new it’s quite a bit more $$$ as well. Which to go for depends on what we each are looking for. I wish it was possible to audition both, but I live a long way from any audio shop where this is possible- headphones.com gives you 365 days to return a full price purchase, so for people like me though this costs more, it makes the purchase something of an audition. Mind you I haven’t yet actually tried to return anything there. There is also a 10% fee to do so, so one doesn’t want to order lightly- as that 10% is a hefty fee for an audition of a ~$2000 HP

From what I’ve read (I was considering either getting the LCD-X or LCD-3) the main differences are the more euphonic tuning of the LCD-3 and the fact they that may scale more with more powerful amps. And obviously the wood rings which are not to be dismissed.

I’m curious about the bass response of the LCD-3 though because the LCD-2 I owned briefly had lots of punchy bass and the LCD-X is just that bit more analytical and dry in its presentation.

Would be nice to have the best of both worlds (detail and lightness/speed with a lot of sub-bass contrast) although I think the LCD-4z/5 are where one needs to look to have that.

what i’ve noticed is that in mid-fi you can kind of pick and choose between having a can with great bass, great frequency response or great detail.

The LCD-X serves as a benchmark because it gives you detail with enough bass and a workable FR. The XC gives you essentially harman-neutral FR if that’s your thing (I still like a bit of coloured presentation I think with even more downslope to the fr with a bit of accentuation in the subbass and air frequencies).

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #1,552 of 2,722
I was totally thinking out loud/troubleshooting on a forum just trying to figure out what the deal was. It isn't the first time I've been paranoid and wrong in front of everybody lol. I'm gonna zap/edit my previous post(s)
No worries! Mistakes genuinely happens and sometimes things are mis-packed. Always good to double check and I'm glad that at the end of the day they are the right pads!

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Jan 27, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #1,553 of 2,722
Hey Jlemaster1957

Headphones.com has them in stock according to the below link on sale open box for $950 at the time of this post.

https://www.headphones.com/products...dHumytrPtcAP07LMUFrqk7U5mUMwGds8aArFpEALw_wcB
Thanks! Snagged it! I thought I’d been pipped at the post again- ‘sold out’ but in fact there was some left without the carrying case (no worries I’ll buy my own case on Amazon) for $879 USD. Thanks @TaronL! This has been a long time coming!

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2022 at 5:21 AM Post #1,556 of 2,722
Thanks! Snagged it! I thought I’d been pipped at the post again- ‘sold out’ but in fact there was some left without the carrying case (no worries I’ll buy my own case on Amazon) for $879 USD. Thanks @TaronL! This has been a long time coming!

That is an insane price for an open box. Just wait until you EQ the headphone to get it to sound exactly how you want. The sound quality will rock your socks. The LCD-X 2021 is an awesome headphone. I have been enjoying mine immensely since I bought it. I am sure you will be very happy with your purchase.

Jan 28, 2022 at 7:30 AM Post #1,557 of 2,722
That is an insane price for an open box. Just wait until you EQ the headphone to get it to sound exactly how you want. The sound quality will rock your socks. The LCD-X 2021 is an awesome headphone. I have been enjoying mine immensely since I bought it. I am sure you will be very happy with your purchase.
Thanks all- yes very excited. Will post an impression once I get a chance.

Jan 28, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #1,558 of 2,722
Just received the perfect Stand for my XC. :L3000:
Steady, nice, easy to put on and off, no pressure on the pads, and a wide surface for the headband.
Found it on Etsy, from an Austrian seller (don't know if I can name it here).

20220128_155020.jpg

Jan 28, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #1,559 of 2,722
Just thought i'd add in some commentary for anyone looking at buying the LCD-X 2021.

I was pretty set on the LCD-X due to my quest for 'bass'. I loved that audeze planar sound for electronic music, it was just so special.
But in my quest for maximum 'bass' i neglected other traits. I thought, as long as i can get the most bass impact and quantity, i will be happy.
I ended up borrowing a friends LCD-X to audition at home, with a nice powerful amp, and i learnt that the LCD-X is a bit too forward sounding for me.
I also found it had quite a narrow soundstage, a very 'in between the ears' feeling. It all felt a little bit claustrophobic for me.
I also found it was a little bit too tiring to listen to, and demanded my attention too much. I felt it a little bit difficult to read things on the internet when i was listening to music (although i am quite an easily distracted person). Don't get me wrong its not that these are inherently 'bad' traits, its just these traits didnt suit my listening, and some people will read the above and think 'thats exactly what i want'.

The bass was great though, best of any of the LCD's i tried.

I actually ended up settling on LCD-3. I found that its bass was quite comparable, only very slightly less impact. Same quantity though. What i really liked about the LCD-3 was the wider sound stage, better separation, and a much easier listening experience. I found it a lot less fatiguing to listen to. I was also quite addicted to the liquid custard mids. I feel the LCD-3 is more 'musical' than the lcd-x. More 'enjoyable' (for me) and less 'analytical'. I feel that it instigates emotion far more often than the lcd-x. I feel much more comfortable listening to the LCD-3 late at night before bed without it keeping me too engaged, but if i want to pay attention i still can, it just doesnt 'demand' it as much like the LCD-X. I just all around prefered the sound of the LCD-3.

So i hope someone might find this information useful!
I personally think it’s great that I see some “love” for the LCD-3 here. Even though I work around our headphones all day, I confess I don’t usually listen to the 3s. But then something comes up where I need to check them out, and I’m always amazed at how great they sound. The bass response by itself is very similar to the LCD-X, but the midrange is slightly recessed (but not as much as the 2), and being 110 ohms, it might have more resolution than the X. For lack of a better descriptive phrase, I would call the LCD-3 our most “eminently listenable” headphone - it’s always an enjoyable experience. We do have a number of mastering engineers who use the X or MX4, but then have an LCD-3 for their casual/personal listening. For those of you who haven’t tried the LCD-3 yet, I think you’ll find an audition worth your time (unless you want something with strong midrange presence). -CSO of Audeze, Mark Cohen

Last edited:
Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Jan 28, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #1,560 of 2,722
IMG_2087.JPG
Woke up and did some neck exercises to prepare for their arrival. I think I like the lacquered wood look of the pre-'21 models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back