LCD-X and XC Update
Jan 24, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #1,516 of 2,741
We try and grab the response curve requests from the local NAS at least once a week. Due to a covid issue hitting our production team, most who can go to the office have been working from home for personal safety, which may have delayed getting the graphs to some people. This ion addition to an inventory count that has occurred, well, some aspects of our daily goings have been delayed/halted a bit. We're truly sorry and we'll hope to have your graph request fulfilled as soon as possible.
Thank you for your answer! And no worry, I fully understand the situation.

Jan 24, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #1,517 of 2,741
Mine look like this as well. The type of leather they use reminds me of the type found on leather gloves. Perhaps they are sealed as you mentioned.
Mine are also less glossy than they were when I first purchased them. I’m pretty certain that they are real leather though.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Very similar to mine. I am not so sure about mine being leather.
My LCD-X looks like this; has an intense leathery smell and soft to the touch.
I've cleaned the pads with leather honey cleaner and conditioned with this conditioner - https://oakwoodproducts.com.au/shop...old/leather/leather-conditioning-cream-350ml/

The pads soak this conditioner up and become even softer to the touch. I think it is good quality leather.
Last I tried to condition mine, it sat on the surface like it was plastic. The obanaufs is what I use for EVERYTHING. I've never seen anything not drink it up. I just did it to test and see if I was indeed was sent the wrong one.
Sure, I posted this in the LCD-R thread. Swapped out the stock leather-free with Audeze leather. Here's both side-by-side:

They are side by side indeed. I'm glad you saw this and have the relevant comparison. The left/the left side of the LCD-R in your pics with the smaller grain resembles mine the most. Which one is that? I wasn't 100% sure from your post.

Also the LCD-R is looking NICE. The lichenburg pattern is super cool.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #1,518 of 2,741
Hello, I'm new here. :)

I got my LCD-X a week ago and I think they sound fantastic out of the box, if they need EQ adjustments it can't be much.

The sound they produce is the most speaker-like sound I've ever heard from a pair of headphones, they seem to have an "honest" non-artificial soundstage with good layering and separation. The dynamics are good and the headphones can handle transients in a fast and strong way without any signs of compression. The bass got that nice texture and goes deep, the midrange gives vocals and instruments body and the treble never gets harsh. A well-balanced sound overall.

I have not tried the X's directly from my iPhone, but with an old VentureCraft Soundroid, they sound okay. The Violectric HPA V200 on the other side takes the sound to another level. A good match.

One question for you who got your frequency response curve for your headphones, how long did it take for Audeze to respond to your request?
I have been waiting a week now, but no answer yet. I thought it could be handy if I decide to EQ my headphones, it's a good chance I will use them for mixing.
Welcome to the Forum! Reading your post, you maybe new HERE, but you seem to have a fair amount of savvy from somewhere. Pls tell us more about yourself on the New Members Introduction thread It’s a great forum, amazingly supportive contributors and as you can see the vendors pay attention to it. Which is all very cool imho and experience.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 12:46 AM Post #1,519 of 2,741
They are side by side indeed. I'm glad you saw this and have the relevant comparison. The left/the left side of the LCD-R in your pics with the smaller grain resembles mine the most. Which one is that? I wasn't 100% sure from your post.

Also the LCD-R is looking NICE. The lichenburg pattern is super cool.
The shiny one is the leather, the more matt black looking one is leather-free. The first pic, the one without the acoustic screen is leather-free.

So leather-free on the left above, and leather on the right (with the acoustic screen).

Again, leather-free on the left above, leather on the right.

Jan 25, 2022 at 4:52 AM Post #1,521 of 2,741
Just thought i'd add in some commentary for anyone looking at buying the LCD-X 2021.

I was pretty set on the LCD-X due to my quest for 'bass'. I loved that audeze planar sound for electronic music, it was just so special.
But in my quest for maximum 'bass' i neglected other traits. I thought, as long as i can get the most bass impact and quantity, i will be happy.
I ended up borrowing a friends LCD-X to audition at home, with a nice powerful amp, and i learnt that the LCD-X is a bit too forward sounding for me.
I also found it had quite a narrow soundstage, a very 'in between the ears' feeling. It all felt a little bit claustrophobic for me.
I also found it was a little bit too tiring to listen to, and demanded my attention too much. I felt it a little bit difficult to read things on the internet when i was listening to music (although i am quite an easily distracted person). Don't get me wrong its not that these are inherently 'bad' traits, its just these traits didnt suit my listening, and some people will read the above and think 'thats exactly what i want'.

The bass was great though, best of any of the LCD's i tried.

I actually ended up settling on LCD-3. I found that its bass was quite comparable, only very slightly less impact. Same quantity though. What i really liked about the LCD-3 was the wider sound stage, better separation, and a much easier listening experience. I found it a lot less fatiguing to listen to. I was also quite addicted to the liquid custard mids. I feel the LCD-3 is more 'musical' than the lcd-x. More 'enjoyable' (for me) and less 'analytical'. I feel that it instigates emotion far more often than the lcd-x. I feel much more comfortable listening to the LCD-3 late at night before bed without it keeping me too engaged, but if i want to pay attention i still can, it just doesnt 'demand' it as much like the LCD-X. I just all around prefered the sound of the LCD-3.

So i hope someone might find this information useful!

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #1,524 of 2,741
I feel the LCD-3 is more 'musical' than the lcd-x. More 'enjoyable' (for me) and less 'analytical'. I feel that it instigates emotion far more often than the lcd-x. I feel much more comfortable listening to the LCD-3 late at night before bed without it keeping me too engaged, but if i want to pay attention i still can, it just doesnt 'demand' it as much like the LCD-X. I just all around prefered the sound of the LCD-3.
I have the exact same feelings on the LCD-3. Even compared to my 2015 LCD-XC I can't really say the 3s are that much better technically, but they are just such a joy to listen to. They have that little bit of magic that really engages me with the music, that the XC are missing.

Nice post, enjoy your headphones.

Jan 26, 2022 at 4:22 AM Post #1,525 of 2,741
For the Audeze LCD-X, I like the following EQ:

Low shelf 65Hz, +4,5 dB of Q 0,8
Peak 230Hz, -1,0 dB of Q 0,7
Peak 950Hz, -1,0 dB of Q 0,5
Peak 3500Hz, +2,0 dB of Q 2,0
Peak 11.700Hz, -3.0 dB of Q 3,0

Feel free to try it :slight_smile:

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #1,526 of 2,741
The shiny one is the leather, the more matt black looking one is leather-free. The first pic, the one without the acoustic screen is leather-free.

So leather-free on the left above, and leather on the right (with the acoustic screen).

Again, leather-free on the left above, leather on the right.

EDIT: I believe at this time that my pads were dried out and needed conditioning and that was likely the cause of the terrible feel.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #1,527 of 2,741
Thanks for sharing. This comparison adds to the level of certainty that mine are the leather free and I was sent the wrong one as long suspected since the beginning. I was fairly certain, but I like the headphones so much I didn't want to send them back and go without them or have to deal with customer service and then best case scenario do a pad swap involving ripping things apart and adhesive rings and also waste a perfectly good pair of pads that were new.

It looks like now headphones.com no longer makes any mention of leather or leather free on their site and doesn't list the SKU. But when I bought mine I specifically made sure that the SKU on the page matched with the leather version before I bought them. In the Order confirmation emails I have from them, there are no SKU numbers or mention of the leather vs. leather free option so I have zero documentation of not being sent what I ordered. I bought right before the 2021 edition was announced and was one of the first people to get the new case probably. I was fortunate enough to get the 2021 edition before knowing it was a thing, but headphones.com definitely had an inaccurate product page/screwed up a little bit.

I don't know what to do with that information other than... know it, because the pads are fine, great in fact, just not leather. I have no idea what the difference is like, I might even prefer the leather free if I tried both(probably not lol). I just have a little FOMO. When my pads wear out I will try the leather ones next time.

My advice to everyone is that if you want the leather pads, order directly from Audeze and pay attention to what you get and confirm.

You touched directly on one of the reasons I ordered directly from Audeze and payed full price for a set of headphones for the very first time. I wanted to make 100% sure I was getting the 2021 Version with the 2021 pads, without having to go through contacting dealers, confirming serial numbers and SKU numbers etc. Then still possibly end up with the wrong item. I love my Audeze headphones (owned a whole bunch), but going forward, Audeze needs to do a WAY better job of making update announcements (not just to nerds on Head-Fi) and the resulting changes VERY clear to the customer and the dealers.

Jan 26, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #1,528 of 2,741
You touched directly on one of the reasons I ordered directly from Audeze and payed full price for a set of headphones for the very first time. I wanted to make 100% sure I was getting the 2021 Version with the 2021 pads, without having to go through contacting dealers, confirming serial numbers and SKU numbers etc. Then still possibly end up with the wrong item. I love my Audeze headphones (owned a whole bunch), but going forward, Audeze needs to do a WAY better job of making update announcements (not just to nerds on Head-Fi) and the resulting changes VERY clear to the customer and the dealers.
Subscribe to our newsletter to get the latest news and updates.

We can bring up any major announcements to Facebook, Insta, Twitter, and the typical socials Audeze has. Otherwise, we can't go to every forum everywhere and tell them "Hey, we need to tell you all something"

Really, subscribe to Audeze's mailing list here.

Jan 26, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #1,529 of 2,741
Subscribe to our newsletter to get the latest news and updates.

We can bring up any major announcements to Facebook, Insta, Twitter, and the typical socials Audeze has. Otherwise, we can't go to every forum everywhere and tell them "Hey, we need to tell you all something"

Really, subscribe to Audeze's mailing list here.

Hello, we met at CanJam SoCal this year. I was one of the first 4-5 people at the table on opening day. We shared some common thoughts on a few headphones we both liked. It was nice to meet a fellow level headed enthusiast. Here is the thing: If a customer like myself contacts several dealers after the 'announcement was made here on Head-Fi (which I did) and none of them have any idea whatsoever that there is a 2021 version of the the LCD-X/XC or are aware of any details of the the new version including new pads or magnets etc that is very bad. Dealers should know this info BEFORE the customers do. When I took the time to explain the product to a couple of these dealers, they said things like "Oh well yeah, that is what we have in stock" Or "If there was a change like that, we would know about it" (in a defensive & condescending tone). Facebook, Instagram and Twitter etc are not where intelligent people go to get accurate information if they are seeking direct and credible information. I am subscribed to the mailing list. I follow Audeze on Instagram, but even If I see info on there, I am not going to order from Instagram. I would go to the your website or dealer website and try to find out how to get my hands on this new version. Even if I followed your advice and followed the above for announcements the information on revisions is sporadic and random AT BEST. I could 'piece' together info myself and get part of the picture. You know what would be a credible direct source? Start by posting the announcement with clear details on your web page for each product? Did I miss something? I do not see any mention of a 2021 update or any other info detailing any revisions of these products on your website. Why? Show me one place where information is available that describes these changes in clear detail and don't say here on the forums. Not everyone reads 100's of pages on a forum before making a purchase. Some people might just go straight from Instagram or youtube and buy them from a random dealer that has no idea about revisions or news letters etc. Why not just put "2021 Revision" on the package and then on the website put "Details on the new 2021 upgrades!" or similar? This is not a customer problem or a dealer problem, this is an Audeze problem that everyone seems aware of except Audeze. Customer confusion is never a boon to business growth. As a representative of Audeze you can start by helping them own it. Start now. :beers:

Jan 26, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #1,530 of 2,741
This is not a customer problem or a dealer problem, this is an Audeze problem
This has become a customer problem too due to the announcement being late. For instance I’ve bought a used LCD-XC last year before knowing about the announcement. Or maybe there were people who bought a brand new old version but could have waited for buying the 2021 version if they knew beforehand?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back