LCD-X and XC Update
Jul 17, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #751 of 2,723
Anyone who’s owned both the Focal Clear MG and LCD-X 2021 — what’s your thoughts?

I actually love the tuning of the LCD-X in the upper mids, it’s very non-fatiguing. However, the weight of the earcups is still annoying.

Is the Clear MG also non-fatiguing? Does it sound metallic?

Jul 19, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #752 of 2,723
Dynamics, microdetail and clarity of imaging just excellent on 2021 XC.
Think I'm moving over to camp 2021 tuning from my older set.

Hope to test out 4z this year with new pads and any other improvements to them.

Jul 19, 2021 at 6:55 AM Post #753 of 2,723
Anyone who’s owned both the Focal Clear MG and LCD-X 2021 — what’s your thoughts?

I actually love the tuning of the LCD-X in the upper mids, it’s very non-fatiguing. However, the weight of the earcups is still annoying.

Is the Clear MG also non-fatiguing? Does it sound metallic?
On the subject of the weight, I've been experimenting with raising and lowering the height of the earcups and it made a big difference to the perceived weight for me. If I lowered the earcups too much then the headphones felt heavy and wobbly on my head. There was a sweet spot at one of the detents for me where the headphones felt quite light with the weight very evenly distributed. It may be worth experimenting a bit.

Jul 19, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #754 of 2,723
Throttling it, pure and simple.
Then after that it's the "subs are gone in the new revision Xs" impressions.

Something like JDS Atom amp for those on the tightest budget. Solid 1 watt of headspace on that, or similar.

Is it a fairly solid deduction /shared belief to say that the 2021 Subs are a tad lacking compared to the previous X's ?

I realize it's very subjective but I've been wondering about this and curious if my non-leather pads might affect my perceived less subs compared to my older X's w/ leather pads. Using the X's here for music production and starting to wonder if the XC might be something to consider instead.

Jul 19, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #755 of 2,723
So I am looking to get the XCs, I know that Audeze has not update the Reveal software with new tunings for the new pads / drivers. I thought I read here somewhere that you don't really need to EQ the new revision of XC at all? Can anyone confirm this?

Jul 19, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #756 of 2,723
am using the XC with leather pads and no lack in subs to my ears over previous set.

Jul 19, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #757 of 2,723
So I am looking to get the XCs, I know that Audeze has not update the Reveal software with new tunings for the new pads / drivers. I thought I read here somewhere that you don't really need to EQ the new revision of XC at all? Can anyone confirm this?
As a few others have said before, EQ is seemingly optional with the XC but not mandatory. I'll find out myself soon, and I am also awaiting further clarification on when the XC profile will be updated with Reveal+ 2.0

Jul 19, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #758 of 2,723
I think is all subjective and based on the sound you are after. For what I like the 2020 version sounds more to my liking and I don’t EQ any of my headphones. All the EQ, 2020, 2021, Fazors etc is a discussion which is very subjective. None of these headphones are broken or faulty so will depend on taste. I tried both 2021 X and XC and I liked way more the LCD-X 2020 version which I actually bought. It’s a true Audeze headphone. Let’s wait for the hype to cool down and I see the 2020 LCD-X becoming a legacy headphone.

Jul 19, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #759 of 2,723
Nothing wrong with 2020 version. Finetune with new pads and see what fits you better and which pads get you closer to your personal, preferred sound signature. I got all 3 pads variants and each gives slight but audible character to Audeze house sound. Great cans.

Jul 20, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #760 of 2,723
Hey, my LCD-X 2021 revision is up for sale, two weeks old, and have everything. Will ship to Australia only. Need something at half the weight, lol... its in the classifieds, or you can PM me. $1650AUD

Jul 21, 2021 at 4:05 AM Post #761 of 2,723
What is a great Amp for the Audeze LCD X. Heard a good laid back sound would be a great match. Im thinking about the Asgard 3 or the Cayin ha-1a. What are your thoughts about it? Or do you prefer other? I dont wanna spent more than 500$ also looking in the used market

Jul 21, 2021 at 4:20 AM Post #762 of 2,723
What is a great Amp for the Audeze LCD X. Heard a good laid back sound would be a great match. Im thinking about the Asgard 3 or the Cayin ha-1a. What are your thoughts about it? Or do you prefer other? I dont wanna spent more than 500$ also looking in the used market

Try the Jot 2. Amazing synergy with planars. Easy recommendation.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #763 of 2,723
I've been looking over the last couple of weeks for this too!

I'm currently using my Arcam rHead headphone amps which work extremely well with my LCD-X. They are an absolute steal if you can find one: Class A with balanced inputs, switchable RCA-XLR and a very compact form factor. Single-ended 1/4-inch and 3.5mm outputs. Looking at dozens and dozens of reviews and specs, I've only been able to come up with MUCH more expensive headphone amps as potential upgrades:

1. Burson Soloist 3X Performance
2. SINGXER SA-1
3. Flux Audio FA-12

From your list, that Cayin looks pretty good, but the price goes up quite a bit with the upgraded tubes.

Jul 21, 2021 at 5:51 AM Post #764 of 2,723
Thank you for your recommendations. Sadly, there is not alot of options to buy those in Germany. Yes, Schiit has a Europe distrubition but all products are out of stock. Such a shame. I didnt use Balanced and didnt need it. I heared comparisons with an Arya months ago. Not a big Deal at least for me. I think a good amp gains enough Power to drive the LCD X perfectly. But you get often to clinical/sterilic sounding, that the LCD X sounds too sharp, too liveless - maybe technical better but you loose so much of its soul and energetic

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #765 of 2,723
I've been looking over the last couple of weeks for this too!

I'm currently using my Arcam rHead headphone amps which work extremely well with my LCD-X. They are an absolute steal if you can find one: Class A with balanced inputs, switchable RCA-XLR and a very compact form factor. Single-ended 1/4-inch and 3.5mm outputs. Looking at dozens and dozens of reviews and specs, I've only been able to come up with MUCH more expensive headphone amps as potential upgrades:

1. Burson Soloist 3X Performance
2. SINGXER SA-1
3. Flux Audio FA-12

From your list, that Cayin looks pretty good, but the price goes up quite a bit with the upgraded tubes.
Flux Lab Acoustics FA-22 is the new amp from Flux and its currently on sale... It has 'the warmth of FA-12 and technicality of FA-10 Pro.
Sound pairing with FA-10 - I had for a couple of months was great (sounds like a very clean expensive tube amp - pure class A..no A/B) However, I found like Zeos reviews guy, that the volume pot has a cliff face...in that you go from medium volume to super loud over a small part of the dial around 12.30-1 o'clock...so getting into medium-loud zone was tricky with my planars regardless of imp./sensitivity (weirdly).
I'm running Cayin HA-1a with PSVane amp and pre tubes One guy on the thread - a reviewer I think - was saying Cayin more suited to higher impedence planars 50-ohm +. I have not tried my new X/XC with Cayin but from memory, I did not get any sluggishness/bloom or other pure tube issues that can come up with planars. I think hybrid best bet for low impedence though...something like Pathos Aurium Headphone Hybrid Tube Amp.
I'll have to do a deep dive on technicalities with Cayin this week, to see if in fact it's having issues with the new XCs low impedence. Tubes upgrade a must on Cayin, so factor that cost in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back